Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:27 am

@thread: :lol: ah the interwebz

I have bitwig, like it just fine, and I think it's kinda funny how they used "mind blowing" ... We'll see. I'm all for whatever they are doing. They seem to be moving at a much quicker pace these days.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:38 am

Read these 16 amazing things about Bitwig V1.2 before you die, #6 shocked me, but #12 will BLOW YOUR MIND!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:59 am

Last at time I checked a software company years behind on the total amount of features actually has to move faster, so new stuff in Live for the sake of being new isn't that interesting as long as Live remain a productive environment. Consolidation and stabilization is more attractive.

I'd suggest there is no need for new features at all. The only thing Ableton really must fix is the remaining CPU spike issues that some people seem to have in Live 9 and that aren't there in Live 8. The audio engine performance need to be at par with Live 8. Its said improvements seem to have come at a cost.

I use Push every day and it's a productive tool despite some limitations that I expect must be improved this year. I do not regard it as unsupported even as I wish some updates at some point or even a new model or more hardware products.
Make some music!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:50 am

Computers are weird. Live is the LEAST problem in CPU for me.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:59 am

Stromkraft wrote:Last at time I checked a software company years behind on the total amount of features actually has to move faster, so new stuff in Live for the sake of being new isn't that interesting as long as Live remain a productive environment. Consolidation and stabilization is more attractive.

I'd suggest there is no need for new features at all. The only thing Ableton really must fix is the remaining CPU spike issues that some people seem to have in Live 9 and that aren't there in Live 8. The audio engine performance need to be at par with Live 8. Its said improvements seem to have come at a cost.

I use Push every day and it's a productive tool despite some limitations that I expect must be improved this year. I do not regard it as unsupported even as I wish some updates at some point or even a new model or more hardware products.
Eh hem...PDC.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:28 am

ImNotDedYet wrote:
Eh hem...PDC.

Otherwise, I agree with you.
Yeah, that would be nice but I don't suffer from this very much actually. Or if I am my controls writes have tolerance enough that I don't notice this.
Make some music!

CFM

Post by CFM » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm glad Ableton did not go all 'Cakewalk' when they upgraded version 8 to 9. They could have bundled a load of 3rd party effects, a load more 3rd party soft synths. Ableton's problem I think is that they are unsure if they want Live to be a DJ tool or a more traditional DAW or both which means compromises. Personally, I use Live in a more traditional way and I'm not bothered with such items like push. In the end every good DAW needs a good set of standards effects, a sampler, and a couple of soft synths. I do find the more stuff you have and more useless features (that maybe 1% of the users want) the less music you actually make.

I do think one of the biggest selling points of Live is M4L which gives total expandability which Ableton undersells tremendously.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:59 pm

CFM wrote:Ableton's problem I think is that they are unsure if they want Live to be a DJ tool or a more traditional DAW or both which means compromises.
Perhaps it's because I really think Live is a quite useless "DJ tool", for musical tracks, that I think it's not that at all. The ease in which NI Traktor surpass Live in that area is obvious to me and others coming from Vinyl. That there's no way to tempo mix is the death blow.
Nope, Warp doesn't count. That's not beat mixing, that's altering the groove. You can go there, but then you're remixing the track and better know what you're doing.

Live may be a performance tool too in idea, but above all it's for composing, recording and creating musical works with a special flexibility in its workflow. Live is a DAW, clearly. I don't think there is any identity crisis anywhere in it. Except I think CPU spike issues are bad for live performance and there's big room for improvements in some key areas. Still, I've never created so much as I am with Live. I regret not getting into it more much earlier.

Well, this is how I feel anyway.
Make some music!

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Angstrom wrote:Read these 16 amazing things about Bitwig V1.2 before you die, #6 shocked me, but #12 will BLOW YOUR MIND!
8O I have to click this link

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Emanresu0891 wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Read these 16 amazing things about Bitwig V1.2 before you die, #6 shocked me, but #12 will BLOW YOUR MIND!
8O I have to click this link
It's broken! :x

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:18 am

I'm actually quite embarrassed as to how short sighted ive been with this entire bitwig/live situation. Ive been so focused on push functionality etc that I completely ignored the climate into which push was released and as I had no personal interest in bitwig just filed it under ignore.
But the silence and what I perceived as a lack of interest from the abes now looks to me like prudent business practice.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:22 am

wha?

ash1

Post by ash1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 am

the problem with bitwig its still one giant beta and has been since its launch

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Angstrom wrote:I wonder if its their modular routing thing.
All 54 devices found in Bitwig Studio were designed using a modular device creation environment which is integrated in the application. Unlike other software, this feature is at the heart of the code running Bitwig Studio. In the next major release, anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access to the integrated Modular System, enabling the modification of existing devices, or the creation and design of entirely new ones.
Since the modulation environment as it already is in Bitwig, is what I find the most interesting about it, I would certainly welcome that 8)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 am

According to their very strange mantra, that will be 2.0.