Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:57 am

eyeknow wrote:According to their very strange mantra, that will be 2.0.
Fine by me. I'm not really in the market for a new DAW atm anyways.

be tonal

Post by be tonal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:the side chain modulation stuff they added for per note control was pretty amazing in the last .1 update, a bit like Plock on my Analog4
What´s this? I use the note expression stuff all the time, is there a way to further control them?

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:23 pm

be tonal wrote:
Sean_Clarke wrote:the side chain modulation stuff they added for per note control was pretty amazing in the last .1 update, a bit like Plock on my Analog4
What´s this? I use the note expression stuff all the time, is there a way to further control them?
I was on about this Note Modulation Device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CkAkqdBXe4
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Interesting, I hadn't seen those videos.

The way they handle multi-out VSTs is a lot better than how Live does it. Ableton should be a bit embarrassed by the speed the Bitwig guys are implementing these features.

What happened to Ableton's "Agile" development? Did it fall over or something?

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Angstrom wrote: The way they handle multi-out VSTs is a lot better than how Live does it. Ableton should be a bit embarrassed by the speed the Bitwig guys are implementing these features.
We can do it the same way in Live using "external instrument" in chains of an instrument rack.
... it's just a bit slower :oops:

But, for sure, Bitwigs looks really modern in a lot of aspects where Live seems already old school...

be tonal

Post by be tonal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:51 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:
be tonal wrote:
I was on about this Note Modulation Device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CkAkqdBXe4
Thanks! Love this device, just not so firm on what qualifies as a "sidechain", makes sense :)

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Bitwig Studio 1.2 new feature highlights- what you got Ableton?

Group Tracks

Consolidate and simplify your mix.

In our next major update you can dramatically improve the navigation of numerous tracks in every view of your project while consolidating the signal flow of multiple sources through a single Group Track. The feature introduces a new style of editing in the Arrange View called "Meta Clips." Meta Clips allow easy editing of clips from multiple tracks in group track timelines. Group Tracks also expand upon Bitwig Studio's Multi-out VST functionality, providing a convenient way to setup tracks for multi- timbral VST instruments, and useful functions to organize and consolidate your entire mix.

Audition Browser

Browse, Audition, Insert, Swap.

You created the part and now you need the proper sound, groove, or melody. To accelerate the browsing workflow, all devices in Bitwig Studio 1.2 feature an Audition icon. By clicking Audition, your entire catalog of sound becomes available. Browse, audition, swap and insert anything from presets and samples to full clips of sounds during playback. Whether or not in use, the Audition Browser can be hidden completely from view to save on precious screen real estate. Bitwig Studio's advanced browsing eliminates the boundaries between devices to offer a meta view of all available sounds in one category. Searching for the right bass? It doesn't matter if it's a Polysynth preset or a sample, you now have the freedom to audition all your content in place, on the fly, to find sounds quickly and to get back to what is most important, making music.

Factory Content Update

Demo songs, amazing presets, and all new sounds from Bitwig and some of the best sound designers on the planet.

The launch of Bitwig Studio introduced us to artists and producers around the world making the most of the devices included with Bitwig Studio. Since then, our Sound Team has been hard at work creating new standards that provide a fluid experience when navigating from one preset to the next. These standards were presented to several new partners to develop an extraordinary new addition of content and workflow to the Bitwig Studio Factory Library, sure to inspire music makers and sound designers everywhere. We are proud to introduce three new demo songs, over 500 fully-functional presets, and optimization of every preset in our Library with the help of Detunized, Mode Audio, Sample Magic, and Overclock Inc. as part of the Bitwig Studio 1.2 update.

Support for High-DPI and Retina Displays

Experience our next generation user interface in brilliant detail.

Bitwig Studio 1.2 is optimized for Macbook Retina and Windows High-DPI displays for a graphical user interface that is sharper than ever before.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:55 pm

"Meta Clips." Meta Clips allow easy editing of clips from multiple tracks in group track timelines. Group Tracks also expand upon Bitwig Studio's Multi-out VST functionality,
What. What the. What the what??

They even gave it my name! You crazy guys. I asked for this feature by this exact name TEN YEARS AGO

viewtopic.php?p=113012

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Angstrom wrote:
"Meta Clips." Meta Clips allow easy editing of clips from multiple tracks in group track timelines. Group Tracks also expand upon Bitwig Studio's Multi-out VST functionality,

They even gave it my name! You crazy guys. I asked for this feature by this exact name TEN YEARS AGO

viewtopic.php?p=113012

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

may you can get afree copy now? or maybe a job.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Angstrom wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=113012

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
I see someone was listening to great user ideas on the Ableton Forum....Shame it wasn't Ableton (although techcnicaly I guess it was at the time)

Maybe you caused BITWIG to form?

''We want to implement this great new idea...''
''No- just ad more sample packs, that what people really want...''
''Sod this, we are leaving.....''

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:54 pm

It will be interesting to see if Ableton offers anything this year and will they fix certain areas (PDC?), and what areas will they improve on?. Bitwig seems to be advancing pretty fast. Ableton knows they will need to hit pretty hard on the next version of Live.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 pm

now they have my attention...
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm

jlgrimes wrote:It will be interesting to see if Ableton offers anything this year and will they fix certain areas (PDC?), and what areas will they improve on?. Bitwig seems to be advancing pretty fast. Ableton knows they will need to hit pretty hard on the next version of Live.
Yes, given that the wigs claim a fully working PDC environment, you wonder who is playing catch up- advantage of writing a brand new code base I guess...

I have decided to buy it and run it as well as Live, the 1.2 update looks good, its only £163+VAT (I am vat registered so that just 163 :-)) not much more than a couple of plug in or one live update! I guess that means their marketing/business model is working!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Pretty sure they have drum racks.

Also, they have some pretty good combination deals with Arturia controllers.... In contrast to other options, the software is practically free :P

But I'm holding out. Mostly because I need to see more convincing instances of 'live performance'.

Isn't it true that they have the possibility of clips within clips?