Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
siliconarc

Re: Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:57 pm

re:dream wrote:I have a question about BW

A friend of mine is interested in using it, but he typically plays live sets where he uses multiple copies of the clip, each zoomed in to a different section of the clip (different start and end markers). Triggering different copies of the same clip thus produces different audio

He says last time he checked bitwig, if you had different copies of the same clip, you could not do this. All copies of the same clip are always zoomed in to the same segment, and changing focus in one changes focus in all. This broke his workflow.

Does anyone know if this has been addressed?
yep, still the same

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:44 pm

8O

So no DJing with Bitwig I guess.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:55 pm

garyboozy wrote:
re:dream wrote:I have a question about BW

A friend of mine is interested in using it, but he typically plays live sets where he uses multiple copies of the clip, each zoomed in to a different section of the clip (different start and end markers). Triggering different copies of the same clip thus produces different audio

He says last time he checked bitwig, if you had different copies of the same clip, you could not do this. All copies of the same clip are always zoomed in to the same segment, and changing focus in one changes focus in all. This broke his workflow.

Does anyone know if this has been addressed?
yep, still the same
Weird. :?
Unsound Designer

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:46 pm

It's only weird if you assume BITWiG studio is trying to copy live....is it weird you can't DJ with cubase or Logic?

Having used both BITWiG and Live, I would say live is better for live work (clue is in the name) and always will be...I don't think BITWiG are even particular interested in that sector.....they are building a DAW, and it will probably be a better DAW in the studio for that reason.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:24 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:It's only weird if you assume BITWiG studio is trying to copy live....is it weird you can't DJ with cubase or Logic?

Having used both BITWiG and Live, I would say live is better for live work (clue is in the name) and always will be...I don't think BITWiG are even particular interested in that sector.....they are building a DAW, and it will probably be a better DAW in the studio for that reason.

The way I am understanding it, and I could be wrong, you can take something like a fully produced track in an arrangement and you want to have different sections of that sound file in their own clips but can’t. DJing Live style would need that functionality, but that’s not the only thing. Rearranging, remixing, and trying different variations on the fly would also need that.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:32 pm

you can have different start and loop settings per clip, but switching between them will always show the grid visually fixed in place. so it's like each clip's view follows a 'global' clip view (per track). that's the difference.
it can be annoying when editing loops, e.g. zooming into a snare to edit the start position, then switching to a copy of the clip to alter the kick start, but the view will be for the snare (the last edited view). i can see why your friend doesn't like this. it's not great.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

garyboozy wrote:you can have different start and loop settings per clip, but switching between them will always show the grid visually fixed in place. so it's like each clip's view follows a 'global' clip view (per track). that's the difference.
it can be annoying when editing loops, e.g. zooming into a snare to edit the start position, then switching to a copy of the clip to alter the kick start, but the view will be for the snare (the last edited view). i can see why your friend doesn't like this. it's not great.
Hmm, that sounds like a bug or a behavior you should be able to setup in the preferences.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:09 am

Maybe tomorrow there will be an announcement of a mind blowing update from the abes!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:18 am

Sean_Clarke wrote:It's only weird if you assume BITWiG studio is trying to copy live....is it weird you can't DJ with cubase or Logic?

What an odd response. The comparison of Live is very much to the point. OK, BW is not trying to copy live, but everyone knows it is trying to muscle into the same market niche - flexible, non-linear DAW aimed at making music in a creative way. It is not trying to do what Cubase does. But it is trying to do what AL does. And live performance is one of its key tasks - it says so right there on their website.
Record and arrange, improvise and perform, or do it all at once
Anyway, triggering multiple copies of the same clip with different start or end markers is not just a DJ requirement. It is not even only a live performance requirement. If you want to make music with follow actions and audio samples, it is a pretty basic starting point for many people - like my friend.

Hence my question. He is not willing to move to BW if this functionality is there; I asked whether it is; the answer is that it's not, end of story. No need to

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am

garyboozy wrote: clips slots not being midi-mappable is probably the biggest omission.

no qwerty keyboard mapping either.
Amazing. Just amazing. Like how...why...? Isn't that a bit ridiculous considering they expanded the session (arrange) view nicely? So out of the box you have to use a mouse to feign jamming out some edits?? No wonder I'm still on live :wink:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:42 am

dna598 wrote: So out of the box you have to use a mouse to feign jamming out some edits??
currently you use scripts. make your own or download them.
http://www.bitwig.com/en/community/control_scripts.html

funny... the Push script has more features than the Live one.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:43 am

re:dream wrote:

What an odd response. The comparison of Live is very much to the point. OK, BW is not trying to copy live, but everyone knows it is trying to muscle into the same market niche - flexible, non-linear DAW aimed at making music in a creative way. It is not trying to do what Cubase does. But it is trying to do what AL does. And live performance is one of its key tasks - it says so right there on their website.
Record and arrange, improvise and perform, or do it all at once
Anyway, triggering multiple copies of the same clip with different start or end markers is not just a DJ requirement. It is not even only a live performance requirement. If you want to make music with follow actions and audio samples, it is a pretty basic starting point for many people - like my friend.

Hence my question. He is not willing to move to BW if this functionality is there; I asked whether it is; the answer is that it's not, end of story. No need to
No need to?

I own and use Live 9 studio/Max, Cubase 8 and now Bitwig. My point is that I am finding that Bitwig is actually replacing Cubase as the arrangement view is so powerful ( Arrangement and Session views at the same is also useful, but I am actually finding it very fast to make songs in a linear fashion that I used to build with clips). Things like bounce in place on hybrid tracks, polyphonic automation (note expression), Unified Modulation System (sending any modulation signal to any VST etc.), layered editing...for me, a good enough linear editor/DAW to replace Cubase (and I have heard the same from logic users. I dint currently plan to sell Live, but I am having a hard look at what I use Cubase for.....

FYI- Bitwig does seem to have very comprehensive clip automation/follow actions which can be triggered at any time whilst the clip is playing, but I don't use this much as I only use it as a DAW (writing/arranging), I have also seen people say on forums you may be able to script keyboard clip launch with the API, but this is all way over my head and needs!
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

be tonal

Post by be tonal » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:59 am

re:dream wrote:OK, BW is not trying to copy live, but everyone knows it is trying to muscle into the same market niche - flexible, non-linear DAW aimed at making music in a creative way.
Everybody knows Bitwig does what Live gave up on trying, being a production tool.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:39 pm

garyboozy wrote:
dna598 wrote: So out of the box you have to use a mouse to feign jamming out some edits??
currently you use scripts. make your own or download them.
http://www.bitwig.com/en/community/control_scripts.html

Knew i was missing something when i got the demo (ages ago) oops.
garyboozy wrote: funny... the Push script has more features than the Live one.

Yeah I noticed, hehe, I ll be checking it out. ( i just got Push 8O )
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:
No need to?
er, to complete redundant sentences 8)
I own and use Live 9 studio/Max, Cubase 8 and now Bitwig. My point is that I am finding that Bitwig is actually replacing Cubase as the arrangement view is so powerful ( Arrangement and Session views at the same is also useful, but I am actually finding it very fast to make songs in a linear fashion that I used to build with clips). Things like bounce in place on hybrid tracks, polyphonic automation (note expression), Unified Modulation System (sending any modulation signal to any VST etc.), layered editing...for me, a good enough linear editor/DAW to replace Cubase (and I have heard the same from logic users. I dint currently plan to sell Live, but I am having a hard look at what I use Cubase for.....
That's very interesting. My experience with Cubase comes from years ago, when it was a bloated monster more useful for mastering recorded audio; making tracks with it was a nightmare!
FYI- Bitwig does seem to have very comprehensive clip automation/follow actions which can be triggered at any time whilst the clip is playing, but I don't use this much as I only use it as a DAW (writing/arranging), I have also seen people say on forums you may be able to script keyboard clip launch with the API, but this is all way over my head and needs!
Well, hopefully they sort out this problem with multiple copies of the same clip. If it's just a bug and not a design feature, that is.