Windows 10 will be free…..

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Windows 10 will be free…..

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:25 pm

As long as you are already on at least Windows 7 and you have to upgrade within a year of release. Interesting move.

njh

Re: Windows 10 will be free…..

Post by njh » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:40 pm

Im imagining the people at microsoft forgot that they never made a windows 9.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:53 pm

HoloLens looks crazy as fuck
http://youtu.be/W97LCtOSXPY

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 am

I like how they never once showed what their 3d glasses look like on people. I'm sure it's just as depressingly lame looking as Google Glass, and yeah, Microsoft again wait for another company to test an idea out before 'reinventing' it themselves.

Cool that 10 will be free though, odd move.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 am

Machinesworking wrote:I like how they never once showed what their 3d glasses look like on people. I'm sure it's just as depressingly lame looking as Google Glass, and yeah, Microsoft again wait for another company to test an idea out before 'reinventing' it themselves.

Eh? The video is full of people wearing them, and no they don't look as lame as Google Glass,

they look much cooler as you can see.

I look forward to casually wearing these smart and well designed goggles out in bars with my buddies, or just casually walking down the street. Or skiing, or welding. Or looking like I'm about to say "deal with it"

Everyone will say "now there's a stylish modern chap", enviously. Fuck me, I think I strained something.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:51 am

I'd probably forget that I'm wearing them.

And forget that I am in reality.

And just commit randkm crimes as if I'm sleep walking.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:57 am

Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Sony will all suck it when the Apple Monocle is released.

Classic minimalist design that leaves one eye unencumbered to view the majestic world around them as only a naked eye can.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:44 am

Angstrom wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:I like how they never once showed what their 3d glasses look like on people. I'm sure it's just as depressingly lame looking as Google Glass, and yeah, Microsoft again wait for another company to test an idea out before 'reinventing' it themselves.

Eh? The video is full of people wearing them, and no they don't look as lame as Google Glass,

they look much cooler as you can see.

I look forward to casually wearing these smart and well designed goggles out in bars with my buddies, or just casually walking down the street. Or skiing, or welding. Or looking like I'm about to say "deal with it"

Everyone will say "now there's a stylish modern chap", enviously. Fuck me, I think I strained something.
:lol:
Oh wow? the majesty of the full frontal view, I have no words.

I like how they seem to have completely avoided any thought at all about the way it will fit on a head.
I truly don't want Microsoft to fail, our local economy is tied to them, but I will never understand how they manage to be so completely void of even basic aesthetics?
They don't have to be fucking Apple, just hire at least one fucking design person?
The rumor was before they brought to court by the government for being a monopoly they had one full time lawyer on staff, because they were too smart to need that. It's the only plausible answer.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 am

When this guy sets your company taste palette, and he made more money than the GDP of half the nations out there, you're doomed forever. :lol:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:44 pm

One thing to consider I guess with the glasses is that they are mostly releasing it As a feature to their OS.

So yeah, early versions are going to look ugly as fuck. Hopefully they are encouraging other companies to make glasses for it too.

But I'm not so sure about that. Kinekt does not have other companies making kinekts.

Their Surface is kind of the only tablet-looking thing on the market that actually looks nice.

I don't know if those are the best examples, but what I'm saying is that they might be hoping to implement the idea and then try to make other companies spend on developing nicer looking peripherals, but at the same time history shows that microsoft might end up being stuck relying on itself.

I'm sure HP is probably already working on some shitty version of HoloLens. I'd like to see a Lenovo version :D

Finally, maybe microsoft is just trying to rapid-fire half-baked ideas at the wall and see which things do and don't stick.... They can afford it apparently haha

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:56 pm

I’m curious to see how the experience is going to be with this FREE (for a limited time) OS upgrade model.

From what I can tell Windows users typically don’t instantly jump on OS upgrades because:

1. Don’t need it
2. My shit is dialed in already, bro
3. It costs money

FREEE often makes people forget all their other reasons for not upgrading. Ask Apple users. There’s a lot of mumbling that Apple needs to knock it off with the yearly upgrades because of stability issues, fuck new features. It’s also been mentioned we need a Snow Leopard type upgrade next – super stable, slimmed down, no new features.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 am

I usually didn't care about upgrading for at least the first year, to make sure that everything is fine. But the DX12 and some Windows 10 features made me interested to upgrade earlier, especially if it improves the CPU/GPU usage for gaming and other applications.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 am

Well, after the whole "songsmith" debacle, I can see them doing something to try and win some people back.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 pm

beats me wrote:I’m curious to see how the experience is going to be with this FREE (for a limited time) OS upgrade model.

From what I can tell Windows users typically don’t instantly jump on OS upgrades because:

1. Don’t need it
2. My shit is dialed in already, bro
3. It costs money

FREEE often makes people forget all their other reasons for not upgrading. Ask Apple users. There’s a lot of mumbling that Apple needs to knock it off with the yearly upgrades because of stability issues, fuck new features. It’s also been mentioned we need a Snow Leopard type upgrade next – super stable, slimmed down, no new features.
I wish I could have stopped upgrading with Snow Leopard.
Now that was a stable computing experience!

The new ones only add social crap I don't want or need anyways.

But other software vendors basically force you to upgrade to the new OSXs, or their shit won't run :x

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm pretty sure that Sony will have built in some specially cunning form of obsolescence to prevent me from upgrading my Win 7 Vaio Laptop. Probably not worth the pain.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)