Moderation of this forum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mmorgan

Re: Moderation of this forum

Post by mmorgan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 pm

I could get on board with the idea of tying the login to the license. Provided they had a "pre-sales" forum for prospective customers to post. I don't care for the idea of 'selected' members being moderators...I'm a member of another forum where that happened and while not horrible there were definitely some negative aspects to that.

I could also go for the idea of if a given number of users mark a post as spam the system itself would take care of it.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 pm

I also think your forum login should be tied to your license, sure be able to pick a screenname, whatever you like ... But one account per license.

On the subject of user-moderators- just consider that I could be one and I'm a total arsehole. I will word common terms such as "sidechain compression" for "girthy buttplug" in all your posts and deny all knowledge of it.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:31 pm

I'm reading this forum daily since like 4 years or something, and honestly, i dont mind the trolls. If they spam 3 pages, i dont care. I still find the threads i'm interested in. It takes 48h max for the mods to clear the spam out. I rather take this than any restrictive policies. I've always liked the openess of this place. Sometimes i even feel like "look ceperezz was bored again" like i've known this for years. Really, you decide if you allow them getting on your nerves or not. Long live this forum and all its characters!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:44 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
I miss the days when the Ableton guys would chime in more here, I really like devs who interact with the customers. Doesn't take that much time and does loads for good will.
I guess it's a good thing for developers to be able to get feedback from customers. But it seems to me they are getting that in their support and beta program now. Of course what could be needed then is feedback from people who are not current customers, which potentially could become also useful.
I think there's an evolution that happens with companies where they take feedback and utilize it, then eventually get overwhelmed and large enough to stop taking feedback at all. IMO Ableton have gotten to the point to where they are only listening to positive feedback, and that's a problem.
Criticism always stings a little, but if it's coming from concerned customers who are trying to help, it's not a bad thing.

Also, I don't think feedback from non users is that useful, unless it's coming from the standpoint of some user who uses something that's a competition to Live, but at this point only Bigwig comes close. Live needs IMO more live performance features, not better movie scoring features for instance, DP, Logic, Nuendo etc. have that covered.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:58 am

I don't think that at all, I've had conversations with a few of the Abe's and they were all well clued up on the stuff people complain about the most. Not saying they should keep quiet or anything, but they don't just listen to good feedback at all.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 am

edit

Yeah, all good ideas.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 am

njh wrote:so since we know that these forums are not read on a regular basis should we all contact the mod individually and suggest that they disable duplicate postings?
Yes but who are the mods? We don't know. They don't say.

@re:dream Im glad you made this thread so we can all discuss solutions. I hope I didn't come off as trying to knock your suggestion.
It's all good 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 am

Tarekith wrote:I don't think that at all, I've had conversations with a few of the Abe's and they were all well clued up on the stuff people complain about the most. Not saying they should keep quiet or anything, but they don't just listen to good feedback at all.
Of course we are free to disagree. :) I know most people want better live performance integration.
The answer now seems to be learn high level object orient programming ala Max For Live, and you can 'fix' all those issues.
Don't get me wrong. I haven't bought Bigwig or anything, and I don't plan to as it seems even more geared towards the project studio than the stage..

All I'm saying is I think they are less responsive to loyal user demands and more interested in gaining new users with their modern approach etc.
I mean that's what pays the bills right? I still really like the company and their product, but I think it's obvious that the whole idea of simplicity and easy workflow is not as much a part of the concept as it was in v3 when I bought into their DAW, somewhat but in a different way. I get more of a vibe that they're pushing the 'modern bedroom dance producer who works at a start up and doesn't know much about music' angle than grabbing the attention of Logic, Cubase, DP etc. users. <-- I mean how many traditional DAW users are going to want Push? How many orchestral composers were excited about the embedded library?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:49 am

I agree that it is nice when the developers are participating in these discussions, but as a company grows it is to be expected that they will tend to withdraw.

More and more you have a wider and wider basis of users to keep happy, and it is less and less a scene of 'me and my mates are making cool software for all our cool customers' and more a more a scene of 'how do we strike a balance between all these contradictory demands from different groups of users all saying I wanna I wanna I wanna 8O

It seems that those old days are gone. But there's still a real benefit in using a forum like this to keep a strong user community going. Things like the push user script, etc etc all emerge out of communications here - or are at least supported by them.

And it is true, as h3rtz says, that it does not pay to get too bothered about the spammers. Spamming happens. It is when my inbox gets crammed with a bunch of crap from a particular user; when I start feeling personally harassed; that I get my knickers in a knot. :twisted: And I think it would be great if those problems could be dealt with promptly, instead of being left unattended for days.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:08 pm

h3rtz wrote:I'm reading this forum daily since like 4 years or something, and honestly, i dont mind the trolls. If they spam 3 pages, i dont care. I still find the threads i'm interested in. It takes 48h max for the mods to clear the spam out. I rather take this than any restrictive policies. I've always liked the openess of this place.
There are no valid reasons for accepting trolls in any commercial community. Openness? To debate like grown-ups in a respectful tone, perhaps lively once in a while, is still about being open. If a user must have all the shite and drivel as well, they can go to another forum. Slack enforcement of rules is also a rule and one that limits freedom. There are plenty of other forums if one wants to act out. Just debate on youtube if that's your forte. There are lots of 12-years olds (or old men dreaming about being 12 and without responsibilities) there willing to dumb down the debate about just about anything.

When you allow for a flood of derogatory name calling, sexual slurs, taunting and other destructive behavior at a commercial web site you're turning away new and potential new customers and hurting the company and in the end the users that bought your product and naturally feels the forums are their domain. Because the forum is an optional yet integral part of the Ableton experience as long as Ableton is running it.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Angstrom wrote:I also think your forum login should be tied to your license, sure be able to pick a screenname, whatever you like ... But one account per license.
Just read this in forum account settings:
"Forum and Ableton User accounts are now merged"
Seems Ableton is one step before us.
Make some music!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I also think your forum login should be tied to your license, sure be able to pick a screenname, whatever you like ... But one account per license.
:D

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:02 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
But I don't think that means that only people with user accounts can join the forum, unless that message just happened today or something and they in fact have implemented that scheme.
Unsound Designer

steko

Post by steko » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Mail from 2009:
We are currently merging accounts used on the Ableton forum with the accounts used for newsletter subscriptions and product licenses.

Your forum name XYZ will be your Ableton username from now on. You'll only need to login once per visit to access all areas on ableton.com, including the forum.

If you already have an account at ableton.com used for newsletter subscriptions and/or product licenses, please follow this link and log in to merge your accounts into one:

+1 forum account tied to the Live licence for all

The proposed "limiting posts per hour" thing is completly impractical / nonsensical…

Imagine we had the forum account tied to the Live license AND the ban of politics & religion already two or three years ago. Would have spared us tons of bullshit!!
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:11 pm

agreed on the time limit. not practical. if someone is helping you solve an issue they might respond back in a short time frame but having to wait means that you could lose your help... also, then we just end up with longer posts because people are scared not to cover every. single. base. since they can't post again for x time.