NAMM 2015. Anything exciting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: NAMM 2015. Anything exciting?

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:52 pm

I really just want to see what the LP Pro can do standalone, no pc, midi to hardware.

From one video, it did appear a man was playing the typical grid/notes layout. I don't know if that was live-specific or if they've managed to implement something into the launchpad itself (which is really what they ought to do to be honest.) step sequencers are weird as hell and I could understand them not having step sequencing built inside it.

Not to mention, that's what the BeatStep Pro is for haha

Maybe someone should start a thread dedicated to the launchpad pro. It seems to be getting a lot of attention.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:42 pm

beats me wrote:
beats me wrote: - The Plug-in Manager now allows you to customize the organization of your menu

I’m curious about this. Does that mean you can have all your third party drum, synth, reverb, delay, etc. plugs organized by type instead of by developer followed by plugin name?

That's exactly what it is. Sweet. And its all done on Logic's end, no need to micromanage folders of plugin types on the drive.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm

beats me wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
LaunchpadPro wrote: Control your effects, instrument devices and plug-ins mid-performance to add engaging, expressive effects. For super smooth effect transitions, the button grid also turns into eight velocity-sensitive vertical faders, with LED feedback - the harder you hit the pad, the faster the transition.
8O

That sounds delightful. I'm intrigued. I wonder how they implemented it that velocity is tied to transition speed.
And also why Ableton is not doing these kinds of innovations for Push :x

To me that sounds like an easily implemented gimmick. Exactly how many times are you going to need to do that…and trust that it’s going to nail the speed of the fader that you were hoping for.
It very much depends on the implementation if it is a gimmick or not.

If they hid the mechanics of this in the Launchpad itself, so that without me having to assign anything in addition to just the parameter itself, it works out of the box and the velocity response is sensitive and accurate, I can see me prefering this live to faders or encoders.

You have 8 possible values that your control can be at, viewable/accessible at a glance and you tap in how fast to get to that level from where you are now. Seems smoother and less involved then actually moving an encoder precisely that way.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:11 pm

Maybe I’m misunderstanding how it works, but as an example let’s say you want the volume to go from 0 to the 5th pad up over the course of 4 bars. You’re supposed to translate how hard you press a pad into that action?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:16 pm

beats me wrote: That's exactly what it is. Sweet. And its all done on Logic's end, no need to micromanage folders of plugin types on the drive.
Mostly with the new features in this update they've taken a nod from Live, but this one is directly from DP8.
Surprised Logic is the first to lift it.

They did a tiny seek preview of DP9 but they're not ready with some of the new features so they haven't announced much.
My guess is elastic audio like Live, it's about time.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: That's exactly what it is. Sweet. And its all done on Logic's end, no need to micromanage folders of plugin types on the drive.
Mostly with the new features in this update they've taken a nod from Live, but this one is directly from DP8.
Surprised Logic is the first to lift it.

They did a tiny seek preview of DP9 but they're not ready with some of the new features so they haven't announced much.
My guess is elastic audio like Live, it's about time.

Saw some vids of some of the new features and there was a lot of “playing catchup with other DAWs” mumbling.

Whatevs, new to me. :)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:33 pm

beats me wrote:Maybe I’m misunderstanding how it works, but as an example let’s say you want the volume to go from 0 to the 5th pad up over the course of 4 bars. You’re supposed to translate how hard you press a pad into that action?
First: I would assume this is like a device mode where the 8 macros of a device in focus would be represented on the 8 columns with 8 levels each.
second: level might be one of the examples where this wouldn't work as well.
Third: but regular FX dry/wets, I could see working quite well.
fourth: yes, how hard you hit would indicate the transition speed. That's not the best for every use. But for effects playing I could see this to be a more musical approach than actually handling the encoders/faders.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:56 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:Maybe I’m misunderstanding how it works, but as an example let’s say you want the volume to go from 0 to the 5th pad up over the course of 4 bars. You’re supposed to translate how hard you press a pad into that action?
First: I would assume this is like a device mode where the 8 macros of a device in focus would be represented on the 8 columns with 8 levels each.
fourth: yes, how hard you hit would indicate the transition speed. That's not the best for every use. But for effects playing I could see this to be a more musical approach than actually handling the encoders/faders.
This is exactly how it works, the velocity dictates the speed, it's very playable and much improved over the Jump to values of the LaunchPad...

It's something i put into place with M4L a few years back, great to see it coded directly in the remote script now...

Cheers
D

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:28 pm

I still think actual knobs and faders would be better in most scenarios, but upon further thought I think it’s less a gimmick and more about the fact it doesn’t have any knobs or faders and they want to give you options beyond rigid on/off functionality.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Pair it with the LaunchControl XL and you're laughing more knobs and faders than the Push?

Cheers
D

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 pm

beats me wrote: Saw some vids of some of the new features and there was a lot of “playing catchup with other DAWs” mumbling.

Whatevs, new to me. :)
Yeah that's silly, they all have unique features worth stealing, my comment was more about who the Logic team seemed to be paying attention to rather than criticism.

If DP stole Lives scene launching feature I might just be a DP only guy, concurrently if Live stole some DP mixing and MIDI features...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:45 pm

S4racen wrote:Pair it with the LaunchControl XL and you're laughing more knobs and faders than the Push?

Cheers
D
Or in my case a Remote SL and you're sorted. I was hoping for a $249 buy in price though, but I'm probably going to bite anyway, my Launchpad got lifted out of the back of my truck in SF a month ago... I almost went with Push on sale, but it's too big, the control buttons are poorly lit, and it's spendy.

The other main competitor is the APC40 MKII but I get good DAW mixer functionality with the Remote SL so...
Also it seems to me the Launchpad works a little better outside of Live, whereas I've not found anything on being able to use the APC40 MKII outside Live, certainly nothing in their manual...

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:46 pm

S4racen wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
This is exactly how it works, the velocity dictates the speed, it's very playable and much improved over the Jump to values of the LaunchPad...

It's something i put into place with M4L a few years back, great to see it coded directly in the remote script now...

Cheers
D
As soon as I saw the 'Ramp' functionality I had a feeling this was one of the Stray (nativeKONTROL) projects... And it IS!

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:02 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Willyum wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:I really wish there existed an interface dedicated specifically to 'loading instruments and fx within Ableton Live'...... I need to be able to hold one button, press another, and kabaam -Reverb-.
Of topic, but if you have Push and have the PXT script then you have this functionality. I was using PXT for a long time without touching the Accessory Mode because I was afraid of ClyphX (I can't remember codes to save my life)... The Accessory Mode is 16 buttons on Push that have dedicated ClyphX functionality along with LCD readout of that the button is (not song/set dependent), And each button can have an endless amount of instructions, and you only have to set it up once and it will work in any Live project new or old.

Example... You could name one button 'EQ-8' and it would instantly load an EQ-8 on whatever channel you are on (like your request)... Or/And, you could name another button 'House-M' (House Master) and your ClyphX string would be set to bring up your ALL your Fx devices (EQ-8 Plus Compressor Plus Reverb plus Limiter, Plus their settings for each device that you would typically use on a house track. And it can do all types of other functions. I just started messing with it a couple weeks ago so I'm not great with explaining it but it is ridiculously powerful. And I believe there are other controller scripts that make use of ClyphX strings (and I'm pretty sure you know ClyphX is Free)
No Push needed for that functionality (except for the screen read out). Any Midi controller can be made to trigger X-Controls via clyphx.
I am still relatively unskilled with ClyphX... Are you saying any controller can be programmed with dedicated ClyphX functions as permanent buttons? I understand you can manually add X-controls and macrobat controls and the other 2 types to any song and have it function properly... But I would think you would have to have those x-controls somewhere visible 'Inside' the song, either as part of the song template or loaded in from browser. The PXT Accessory Mode is getting it's x-controls from 'Outside' of the song, therefore making it work with every pre-existing, current or future project... How would this 'Permanent Assignments' be made to other controllers?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:42 pm

I may cave and finally give ClyphX a try.