Is 6 really the max number of remote surfaces?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
electrofux2007

Is 6 really the max number of remote surfaces?

Post by electrofux2007 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Only 6 surfaces can be installed? Is that true? Or is there a way to circumvent this?

H20nly

Re: Is 6 really the max number of remote surfaces?

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:08 pm

some MIDI controllers can be chained together. what are you trying to do (besides "use more than 6...") and what surfaces are you trying to do it with?

electrofux2007

Post by electrofux2007 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:23 am

H20nly wrote:some MIDI controllers can be chained together. what are you trying to do (besides "use more than 6...") and what surfaces are you trying to do it with?
I am trying to integrate Reason into Ableton Live which apart from Rewire is not that easy. I want to have it work fully (Midi) bidirectional (meaning it doesnt matter where i move a control it gets updated everywhere) and readable by Push.
I have tried Max but it just doesnt work perfectly. The only way to do it imho is having alot of remote scripts and lock them to instrument racks dedicated to Reason (they need to have VST Control plugins inside them). But 6 is a bit limiting. In Reason you can have as many as you want.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 am

that's outside my pay grade... i only have 4 interfaces including a foot pedal.

but here's what i think i know... you're right, you're going to need a lot of remote scripts. the main reason being that when you switch from DAW to DAW you're going to be changing the focus of the device from the DAWs perspective... in my experience using a Novation RemoteZero SL, i had to switch the settings on the controller from Live to Cubase and back again to accomplish movements in each DAW. the host DAW could only be controlled when the controller was specifically pointing at it. there were no hybrid options. i'm fairly certain that you will need a third party to act as a liaison from the controller to each DAW. you would then probably point the MIDI surface settings in Live at the third party application.

anyway... i'm just speculating. so i'm going to wish you good luck and bump the thread

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:29 am

If you have a vst then you can have up to 128 parameters mapped correct? Then that times 6?

A max4live device could have unlimited parameters that then map to individual racks, you then need the monster stuff to be able to control more than 128 parameters....

Appreciate that Reason is unlimited but live is so you'll probably need to start thinking of a different way of achieving your goal....

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:37 pm

Sometimes if you arm a channel in Live, all the midi of that controller will pipe into that channel.

For instance, if your controller had midi cc 7, you could have the channel going into Reason, and it'd be pretty likely that when you move that fader, it'd change the volume of the Reason device. This is with all mapping and control scripts turned Off in Live. Only 'Remote' on.

Another option might be to deactivate the controller in Live and activate it only in Reason.

But I think the through-Live into-Reason method might work out for the most part.

There has to be a way to bridge these two possibilities. Unfortunately I'm not a Reason user.
Last edited by yur2die4 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:29 pm

there ya go electrofux2007, these last 2 posters are exactly who I had in mind when I bumped the thread.... If they don't know how to do it natively... scripts are definitely your only hope

1 more bump for the road...

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 pm

I use Ableton and Reason -- I replied to your issue on another thread albeit without being of much help. Here's what I to attain control of both programs with feedback on my controllers for this purpose:

For control of Reason devices, I have my ReMOTE 61 SL set as the Master Keyboard for Reason. That allows me full functionality on that end, with controller feedback. I still have the keyboard part of the ReMOTE accessible for keyboard midi into live, so I can use it to play any non-Reason instruments in live as well. Then I have all of my live control through my APC 40.

I understand that the APC 40 is not push and that this isn't exactly what you're trying to do, but it is working well for me. I have full control over both programs and don't have to get tricky with 3rd party scripts at all.

Hope this helps.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 pm

Was going to post a pic of it but I don't know how.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:29 pm

cpyatak wrote:Was going to post a pic of it but I don't know how.
you have to have the pic hosted on line... then

place the link in your response

highlight the link

click the "Img" button above the text field in your response.
this places the php image tags around it like so:

[img]the_link_here[/img]

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:10 am

Thanks for the tip H2Only :)

Goddamn it. Perhaps it doesn't work with links to social media sites? I don't really have anywhere else to post it. Anyway... the pic is here:

https://www.facebook.com/askewmusic/pho ... =1&theater

electrofux2007

Post by electrofux2007 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 am

H20nly wrote:that's outside my pay grade... i only have 4 interfaces including a foot pedal.

but here's what i think i know... you're right, you're going to need a lot of remote scripts. the main reason being that when you switch from DAW to DAW you're going to be changing the focus of the device from the DAWs perspective... in my experience using a Novation RemoteZero SL, i had to switch the settings on the controller from Live to Cubase and back again to accomplish movements in each DAW. the host DAW could only be controlled when the controller was specifically pointing at it. there were no hybrid options. i'm fairly certain that you will need a third party to act as a liaison from the controller to each DAW. you would then probably point the MIDI surface settings in Live at the third party application.

anyway... i'm just speculating. so i'm going to wish you good luck and bump the thread
I used the codecs mostly for Lemur templates. I dont have 26 hardware controllers ;-)

I think i found a solution to circumvent the need for remotescripts as i can route the Signals coming from Reason devices via Midi Tracks to the Instrument Track on which a Max Live device with bidirectional controls sits. It is a shame that Ableton loses Channel Information once a Midi Signal hits a track. This would eliminate a lot of setup mess when i have to make sure that every incoming data is getting to the instrument rack it is meant for and only that.
So there is a configuration overhead and that bidirection MaxforLive dial is quite a big Patch for a simple dial but so far it is looking good.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:09 pm

^ sweet. 8)

keep striving!!

cpyatak wrote:Goddamn it. Perhaps it doesn't work with links to social media sites? I don't really have anywhere else to post it. Anyway... the pic is here:

https://www.facebook.com/askewmusic/pho ... =1&theater
not sure... the firewall i'm behind right now directly blocks Facebook traffic so i can't check... but the fact that the URL starts with https:// means that it's a secure site... so i suspect that you have to make (at least) the photo public or searchable via google etc.

in FireFox you can right click an image and "Copy Image Location". nice and easy

in Internet Explorer and Safari you have to be a little more clever and open the image in a new window and then copy that link from the address bar... i think it's their way of making copyright infringement and such more difficult... but it just takes more steps.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Firefox trick seems to have worked. Thanks again H20nly!

electrofux2007

Post by electrofux2007 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:23 am

I think you will like the patches i am working on if the configuration overhead is not too much for you. It is still alot of work to do but as far as i got it is a breeze to work with Reason and Live together as you can record from everywhere and everything gets updated. As soon as i got the first templates ready i will post them.