NAMM 2015. Anything exciting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Re: NAMM 2015. Anything exciting?

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Or they could allow the user to set a default configuration by a three-key combination to select track/scene or Session Overview functionality that would be valid until changed.

The problem is that some lazy developer decided to ignore the matrix difference between the Mini (8x8) and the Key 25 (6x8) and derived the Mini code from the Key 25 code, omitting the functionality (I did look at the Python code). And some idiot supervisor let him do it and some idiot marketing director let them sell it that way.

I call BULLSHOT on Akai and Ableton for this. There is no reason other than sheer laziness, ignorance, or user insensitivity for this decision, and it cripples both units severely...
S4racen wrote: I haven't got a MINI but which button would you want Session Overview to be triggered by out of interest?

Cheers
D

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:02 am

Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 am

cmreal04 wrote:Nice on the go offering:

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po
The drum machine one looks fun, but the question becomes why didn't they just make an iOS/Android app? Same form factor even. :x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:31 am

Because then you'd need more than one device to run it in conjunction with other apps?

There is a very large modular market. From pedals and synth modules to novelty devices. Yet they are all very potent devices.

Another thing that comes in is the rugged coding and the 'works without looking' mentality. There are many reasons why they might make it not as an app. Still, your statement IS completely sound. They definitely could just as easily do it in an app (it probably wouldn't even be difficult to translate what they have now). But would anyone want it as badly?

I like the drum one too :P. The recording of modulations looks especially fun! And the screens looks very intuitive yet gamey haha

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:00 am

They like quirky, purpose designed things, nothing more complicated than that I think. I would definitely like to have them too, is this a limited time only thing? Frustrating not having a home address to ship things to, makes impulse buys a pain :)

In other news, finally saw the Aira MX video, and wow! Sick, sick, sick, I used to dream of something like this in my early live pa days. I foresee an Aira set up headed my way eventually.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:30 am

No I get it, and at $59 I'm gonna get the drum one. :)
Honestly the cartoon stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, but with a name like Teenage Engineering what would I expect?

Personally the one thing that stands out the most to me is the BeatStep Pro.
I've always wondered why someone didn't come out with a modern hardware step sequencer? but the regular Beatstep wasn't that IMO.
The new one fulfills all the slots, Hopefully it's solid because beyond the DP9 upgrade this is the no Brainer from NAMM for me. It's fugly though. :x
Arturia and their white hardware, but their decidedly non-Apple lack of aesthetic taste with it. :x
...and also, yeah, the state of the buttons changes to match colors with the bands of color on the device, it's purpose driven in it's awkward looks, but a black version would definitely be less garish. :x

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 am

Now I know what to do with that $35K that's burning a hole in my pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiN-WRnVXk
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:09 am

Now that would give the banjo some competition.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:37 am

JohnLoftus wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:That launchpad pro has a lotttt of interesting qualities. I don't even know what it all has yet.

I see midi in / out. I wonder how it handles without a computer, to a hardware synth or drum machine?

It is what everyone has been asking for, especially the colors and the velocity/pressure sensitivity.

It appears that the trade offs might be that it requires more power and is 'bulkier'. But wow does the LP Pro look impressive.
Hi There,
I'm glad that you are liking the look of the launchpad Pro!
It will indeed have MIDI in and OUT for controlling external hardware,
the pads are velocity and pressure sensitive and in terms of power consumption it can be USB powered or mains powered for stand alone MIDI use.

John Loftus // Focusrite | Novation tech Support
Does it come with Automap? Or how do I cange the Midi layout of the Pro without Usermode 2?!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:51 am

Machinesworking wrote: Personally the one thing that stands out the most to me is the BeatStep Pro.
I've always wondered why someone didn't come out with a modern hardware step sequencer? but the regular Beatstep wasn't that IMO.
I don't see how this thing can do what it does without LED rings around the encoders.

Does that mean you tap around in the dark as to to where the encoders are set at, each time you change the sequence ?!

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:53 am

re:dream wrote:Now that would give the banjo some competition.
:)

In case anybody's wondering, the white haired guy in the picture is the great Malcolm Cecil [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Cecil ] co founder of TONTO's Expanding Head Band [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4mhOmPHHjc ] among many other notable achievements

TONTO (the most awesome modular synth ever built?) is now in the hands of to the Canadian National Music Centre.

http://www.geeksandbeats.com/2014/01/ca ... nthesizer/
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Personally the one thing that stands out the most to me is the BeatStep Pro.
I don't see how this thing can do what it does without LED rings around the encoders.

Does that mean you tap around in the dark as to to where the encoders are set at, each time you change the sequence ?!

Cost saving move that can be featured in V 2.

Still good price for an external hardware sequencer.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:09 pm

The knobs are touch sensitive. So that could give a tiny bit of feedback on the LCD without turning. Won't give you immediate feedback of all knobs at a glance though.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The knobs are touch sensitive. So that could give a tiny bit of feedback on the LCD without turning. Won't give you immediate feedback of all knobs at a glance though.
good point. limits the extend of the problem somewhat.

I find it still crippling though and all for saving a few bucks. LEDs are really cheap nowadays. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Hmm? Old school step sequencers like the BeatStep don't really need LEDs around the knobs IMO.
This thing could easily cost $500 if it had everything I wanted, then I wouldn't buy it because it would be at the uncomfortable price range for what it does! :lol:

I suppose there should be and probably is some sort of way to tell which of the 8 banks of 64 steps the knobs are controlling. I'm probably going to pre-order this thing so I'll let people know if someone else doesn't.