OSCiLLOT

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
CFM

OSCiLLOT

Post by CFM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 pm

First thoughts:
My first extra pack!
The first real modular system within Live although you need suite with Max to run it.
Concept is not really new and basically it's a bunch of Max devices already made for you. There is nothing wrong with that! And as the saying goes why re-create work when it's already done for you. So basically you are putting max devices together to form a new instrument within the editor.
Does make for interesting new instruments.
Some learning curve is needed although you can copy some of the other patches - I made myself a two OSC basic synth within 10 mins for so.
One problem I have noticed is that 6 note poly is memory hungry - I'm using a Intel i7 quad core, 8GB memory, into a Focusrite Pro 24 and CPU power is from 30% to 50%. Something they could work on for 1.1v.

jbw

Re: OSCiLLOT

Post by jbw » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:01 pm

Interesting. Almost looks like it basically just makes Max for Live a lot more user friendly. I mean I know there is advanced stuff you can do in Max, but this seems to bridge the learning gap.

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:25 pm

I wonder how much this overlaps with the new BEAP library in Max 7?

Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:55 pm

overlaps with the new BEAP library in Max 7
Not sure as I'm still running a full version of MAX 6.1.
Almost looks like it basically just makes Max for Live a lot more user friendly
Yes, it does! Certainly, you could do the same thing in max if you created the 100 or so devices! I suppose most of us just don't have that time. I'm sure there is a lot of potential for more devices and you can add your own with SDK. I do think at the moment CPU power will be a problem for creation of any 'beast' of a synth.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:06 am

BEAP existed quite long before Max 7 and runs perfectly well on Max 6. You'll find the package on Github if you google it...
The main difference with BEAP is the real time patching; OSCiLLOT let's you do that real time in M4L.
You can do modular patching in real time with BEAP or even Max standalone, but not straight from a M4L device like OSCiLLOT does.
It's not much about the "100 devices already created", but about the unique modular environnement itself.
Yes, it's very cpu hungry.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:40 am

looks amazing.
so there's this one, BEAP and another one MUX
http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html
Anyone has experience with Mux ?
The fact Mux can load vst's also looks like a great extra.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:48 am

Is there a list of all the modules somewhere? I know there's help in the device itself, and the promo video does a really quick glance at the drop down menus, but I'd like to know more details without having to buy it first.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:34 am

Yes click on oscillot on top. http://maxforcats.com/category/oscillot/

Just bought this. It's cpu hungry and seems based off beap but it's quite well made! Love it!

On the website under the oscillator section, there's an extra osc called formant generator which doesn't seem to be included in the alp.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:06 am

paradiddle wrote:Yes click on oscillot on top. http://maxforcats.com/category/oscillot/

Just bought this. It's cpu hungry and seems based off beap but it's quite well made! Love it!

On the website under the oscillator section, there's an extra osc called formant generator which doesn't seem to be included in the alp.
Duh, pretty much right in front of my face. Thanks.

Regarding that extra osc, on the Packs page it says they are planning further modules. Maybe that's the first one that didn't make the initial deadline.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 am

This thing looks pretty hefty, not just some run of the mill effort.

Under effects it list VST modules, so you can load VSTs? 8O

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:27 am

Yes you can load vst and vstis, it's max after all! I'm really loving this thing! Oscillot doesn't seem to support feedback for now but
I read on the website it's on the to do list! Great.

I have max 7 and I can't seem to load this like I can load other max4live devices. Maybe when live 10 comes out, there will be a tigher integration. Hope so anyway.

YearZer0

Post by YearZer0 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:49 am

OSCiLLOT is similar to the OSX/iOS program Audulus but not quite if you can actually use third party stuff. There are some awesomely complex things people have done with Audulus. There are some vids on YouTube and I'm sure other places.
Home Studio Setup --> MacBook Pro Retina 13 Inch (Core i7, 16GB RAM Mid/Late 2014 Model) -- Ableton Live 9 Suite -- Apogee duet --- KRK VXT 8 Studio Monitors -- Livid Instruments ds1, Native Instruments Maschine Studio, Komplete Kontrol S49 --

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:17 am

This looks great, but shamelessly "inspired" by Beap, which is free.
But i must say that i have some weird results with Beap, and the interface/workflow looks amazing in Oscillot.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

thecld

Post by thecld » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:22 am

It would be great if someone, who has already bought it (OSCiLLOT) made an YT video / review 8).

JDFS

Post by JDFS » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 am

chapelier fou wrote:This looks great, but shamelessly "inspired" by Beap, which is free.
But i must say that i have some weird results with Beap, and the interface/workflow looks amazing in Oscillot.
From Muff Wiggler:
Christian Kleine wrote:There are some fundamental differences:

- patchable in Live
- polyphonic (instrument version, monophonic effect version)
- save presets as .adv (ableton device preset)

Since modules of OSCiLLOT are max patches, you could integrate BEAP.
The SDK is available here:
http://maxforcats.com/software-development-kit/

Best,
C.
I cannot wait to buy this and try this out!!! I already tried some patching in Beap, but didn't found it that user 'friendly'. Since you'd also need some Max knowledge, which I lack.

This looks so user friendly, plus the fact that you can patch within Live makes me drool - and polyphonic :)!