Any camera/photography aficionados here?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Garry Knight

Re: Any camera/photography aficionados here?

Post by Garry Knight » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:13 pm

If I were you, I'd get her whichever DSLR she wants, but I'd recommend one of the small Nikons, say the D5500. I have an earlier model - a D5100 - and it has the same sensor as the next range up, and it's unlikely the sensor got any worse since then. It's also great for video. I fix a Zoom H2n digital recorder on top and plug it into the external mic input for great sound, and good video quality up to 1080p. The later models ought to be even better than this.

She'll want lenses to go with it as it's likely only to come with an 18-55mm kit lens. I'd recommend the 55-200mm Nikon OS lens to fill out the focal length range.

For examples of photos taken with my D5100, look here. For (very amateur) videos, look here (at the non-music ones).
Garry Knight

jrhillma

Post by jrhillma » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Years ago, my wife was hell-bent on getting a DSLR. "It's so much like my film SLR, but digital." So, I bought her a Canon 30D (solid platform) and some L-glass. She used it a lot to start, but then decided it was too bulky for most of her use cases and said she needed a P&S. I bought her a Canon S90. She used the crap out of that thing and the "big camera" languished. I bet it has 1500 shutter activations at most. What a waste.

Two weeks ago she said she needed a "new camera." I've been looking at mu43 gear for four years or so, but have never bought, as I made do with the S90 (did a 365 Challenge a couple years ago with it). She's right, that 30D and big lenses are freaking bulky and heavy. Such a pain. Anyway, over the weekend I ordered an Oly OM-D M-10.

Great mix of features from the M-5 and M-1, at a really nice price point. Also picked up a second telephoto lens in addition to the kit lens, so she's covered from 14-150 (28-300 in full-frame equivalent). I'm pretty excited to see how this pans out. If it's as good as the reviews and shots I've seen say it is, I might pick up an E-PL7 body for myself and share the lenses.

If you're looking at the mu43 format, check out the mu43.com forum. Lots of great info there.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks guys! :D

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Does she know what kind of stuff she wants to shoot?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:51 pm

She should take lots of tilt shift pictures because it makes everything look like toys which is adorable (and badass)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:35 am

Maybe I should clarify some more. She's just not happy with a point and shoot, and thinks a DSLR is the only way to get really nice pics. Personally I just think she hasn't yet learned how all the functions of my S100 works, so I worry she's REALLY not going to learn a DSLR good enough to take advantage of the extra horsepower as it were.

There's no plan other than she wants to take better pictures. I'm all for her getting more into photography, I just have a feeling that very quickly she's going to get sick of lugging around a larger camera and a bunch of lenses in order to do so. If I knew this was a hobby that was going to stick, no problem. But she has a habit of changing hobbies quickly.

So I'm trying to find a good compromise between better than a point and shoot, and not wanting to invest a lot in gear she most likely won't use as much as she likes to think.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:16 am

FWIW, and not wanting to force anything, some DSLRs are really pretty small and not really heavy at all. I usually keep the short kit lens fixed on the body, and that's actually a pretty compact handful, and then there's just the other lens which is about the size of a tall coffee mug. The short 18-55mm is good for the "point and shoot" / "home movie" moments and then when I want to get arty / creative I swap on the longer one.

YMMV of course, but whatever camera you go for, if you keep it in good condition it shouldn't be too hard to sell or trade in on the one you really want.

I just reckon an enthusiast- level DSLR with a pair of kit lenses gives a better upgrade path if you decide to get serious. Again, no agenda! And I admit I don't really know the state of the other options :?

... What does "should I get a DSLR?" etc throw up on the google?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks Paddy, good to know. Usually when I see people walking around with SLRs they seem big and bulky with this huge long lense on the end. I didn't realize there were smaller options available.

I haven't had time to dig in too deep on google yet, I wanted to get some first hand opinions first before I started serious research. This move is taking all my free time at the moment, though hopefully things are going to slow down some later this week.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Tarekith wrote:Maybe I should clarify some more. She's just not happy with a point and shoot, and thinks a DSLR is the only way to get really nice pics. Personally I just think she hasn't yet learned how all the functions of my S100 works, so I worry she's REALLY not going to learn a DSLR good enough to take advantage of the extra horsepower as it were.

There's no plan other than she wants to take better pictures. I'm all for her getting more into photography, I just have a feeling that very quickly she's going to get sick of lugging around a larger camera and a bunch of lenses in order to do so. If I knew this was a hobby that was going to stick, no problem. But she has a habit of changing hobbies quickly.

So I'm trying to find a good compromise between better than a point and shoot, and not wanting to invest a lot in gear she most likely won't use as much as she likes to think.

So basically she’s doing the noob loudness wars of photography and thinking throwing more money at the situation will overcome lack of experience.

Not to come off as the fanboy that I am, but I’ve seen some pretty astonishing pictures taken with an iPhone and she could research the countless photo apps available that the pros use, and if nothing else it’s a way cheaper alternative in learning the fundamentals of photography before making the investment.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:08 pm

You basically summed it up :)

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm

You could take a look at mirrorless compact system cameras. They have interchangeable lenses and yield pictures that are as good as, and in some cases better than, those from DSLRs. I get nice results from a Samsung NX2000 which are as good as, and better resolution than, photos from my Nikon D5100.

If she wants to throw money, the NX500 is a good camera, and the NX1 is even better.
Garry Knight

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Zebra2

Because this is starting to mimic those "recommend a ..." threads that narrows it down to the best 34 options. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:50 pm

yeah, after reading this thread... i now know that all the options are great.

you should stop your mastering business and open a camera store/photography studio with your wife. or get a new wife. both seem more efficient than trying to find the best camera.

you could also trying putting a BBE Sonic Maximizer on your old camera.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 pm

I tried the BBE on the camera once to be honest, but that just made it even heavier. No way I'm lugging that thing around too.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Get her the Canon EOS SL1 - A DSLR with an APS-C sized sensor (much better than a point-and-shoot). Get it with the 18-55mm kit lens. This camera does everything an average entry-level DSLR should do (including having a very capable "automatic everything" mode), in a size that is considerably smaller and lighter than a normal DSLR.

Also throw down $200 for the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens. This is a really small "pancake" prime lens that will make the camera as light and compact as possible, while still delivering excellent image quality.

Mirrorless cameras are great, but if she wants a DSLR, get her one. If she discovers later that mirrorless is for her, then she can go that way.