Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tedlogan

Re: Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Post by tedlogan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:Yeh, Beta forum is a very quiet place now....can go days without a post-
I only wanted to know what the Abes planned to implement to assist with my purchasing desesions...in the end I just bought Bitwig anyway. Ironically a lot of the requests in the beta forum and the 'live 10' thread are (or will be in 1.2) already in BWS, I suspect the BWS guys are looking at what people want in Live and putting it in BWS!!
Maybe Ableton really are working on a big update, who knows? I've stepped back from it all - at one point I was obsessed with submitting and mulling over feature requests/changes to Live and Push - and realised a while ago that Live is pretty damn amazing and mostly solid, barring some glaring omissions from Push and a few other niggles, like multi-MIDI clip editing etc.

Upon this grand realisation I happily carried on making sounds and stuff. I have more than I could have dreamed of when I started with trackers in MSDOS.

I'm not defending Ableton's silence, merely that I don't give a shit anymore.

I am keeping an eye on Bitwig though, and liking some things I see. Just give me any DAW these days - as long as it can run u-he plugins and record stuff.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:I'm still hoping the lack of updates (just concentrating on bug fixes) is because there is a BIG 9.5 update coming :-)
maybe if we're really really lucky they'll try and keep up with Bitwig just like you say they need to... and charge us £163+VAT for the update. :|
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 am

tedlogan wrote: Maybe Ableton really are working on a big update, who knows?

Let's just say that if it was around the corner as some folks in here are wishfully thinking, there would be a lot more activity going on in beta-land. And there simply isn't. So most likely, it's not quite as "anything's possible" as you might wish.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:25 am

I have no idea how people make music with all this crap.

Wait, that isn't music....nevermind.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:16 am

mholloway wrote:
tedlogan wrote: Maybe Ableton really are working on a big update, who knows?

Let's just say that if it was around the corner as some folks in here are wishfully thinking, there would be a lot more activity going on in beta-land. And there simply isn't. So most likely, it's not quite as "anything's possible" as you might wish.
Exactly what I was saying a while ago. They'd be testing these ideas in Betaland. But as I mentioned, I am not bothered anymore - I've got more than I need. I only want a more expressive keyboard with pitch/mod/expression pedal input at the same time, and a breath controller, which has nothing to do with Ableton - apart from non-poly-aftertouch support if I'm not mistaken.

Seaboard and Sonar (poly aftertouch I hear) possibly in the future then. Worth the money? Honestly don't know. I'm slightly going off-topic.

But I am in two minds about this as always. Regarding my quoted comment - I cannot see Ableton not working on updates and improved features though. What the hell are they doing otherwise? They can't just be fixing minor bugs and doing nothing else. These developments will most likely not be in open beta, hence us not knowing about them.

overground

Post by overground » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:04 pm

I am playing around with Bitwig now since its release and am quite happy with most of it. It´s definitely out of the "giant beta-stage" that was mentioned here before. Some things still need improvement like the sampler which lacks a lot of functionality if you are used to Abletons sampler. But i guess there is more to come at least i am hoping, after reading about sampler vst´s in some forums where i stumbled upon this:
Shortcircuit (make sure you get v1.1.2). Once a very pricey piece of commercial software, this plugin was built by a talented developer who later worked for Ableton and now develops Bitwig Studio.

Bitwig rarely crashed on me, but i think i still would use Live if i were to use it in a live context. As a DAW however Bitwig´s playful devices and way to combine thing has really catched my interest. Push is now fully integrated but i don't have Push and am using a Livid BaseII instead. Generally the scripts are really well thought. I am loving my Akai MPK25 and its no biggy for me, that there is no manual user midi-mapping of the global transport controls, because they are mapped in the Akai…
What i also enjoyed is the personal contact with the Bitwig team, the support is fast and friendly. Because i was an early buyer, i was invited to the 1up party where i could talk to the developers. And this week i got invited to a Bitwig course in Berlin, that takes 1 1/2 hours, for free. These guys have spirit. After talking to some member of the team i also realised why it took them so long to come up with the first release and why they are so fast with updates now. Every single line of code in Bitwig is either written by themselves or open source. All the other companies with exception of the Propellerhead Reason guys (which they admire) are buying big amounts of code to avoid this time consuming coding process. The problem is, if there is some bug they cannot fix it so easy and also it´s more complicated to implement absolutely new things. This is the reason why the decided not to support Mac audio units (it´s a pity since some plugin only come as AU´s) but it´s also the reason why the fire out new features now every two month´s or so…
Since i got Bitwig i did not use Live so often anymore and decided not to make the pricy jump to Live9. One thing that i really miss though is the big community of users sharing tips and tricks since Bitwig is so fresh in the market, but i have the feeling that is about to change :-)

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:24 pm

overground wrote:I am playing around with Bitwig now since its release and am quite happy with most of it. It´s definitely out of the "giant beta-stage" that was mentioned here before. Some things still need improvement like the sampler which lacks a lot of functionality if you are used to Abletons sampler. But i guess there is more to come at least i am hoping, after reading about sampler vst´s in some forums where i stumbled upon this:
Shortcircuit (make sure you get v1.1.2). Once a very pricey piece of commercial software, this plugin was built by a talented developer who later worked for Ableton and now develops Bitwig Studio.

Bitwig rarely crashed on me, but i think i still would use Live if i were to use it in a live context. As a DAW however Bitwig´s playful devices and way to combine thing has really catched my interest. Push is now fully integrated but i don't have Push and am using a Livid BaseII instead. Generally the scripts are really well thought. I am loving my Akai MPK25 and its no biggy for me, that there is no manual user midi-mapping of the global transport controls, because they are mapped in the Akai…
What i also enjoyed is the personal contact with the Bitwig team, the support is fast and friendly. Because i was an early buyer, i was invited to the 1up party where i could talk to the developers. And this week i got invited to a Bitwig course in Berlin, that takes 1 1/2 hours, for free. These guys have spirit. After talking to some member of the team i also realised why it took them so long to come up with the first release and why they are so fast with updates now. Every single line of code in Bitwig is either written by themselves or open source. All the other companies with exception of the Propellerhead Reason guys (which they admire) are buying big amounts of code to avoid this time consuming coding process. The problem is, if there is some bug they cannot fix it so easy and also it´s more complicated to implement absolutely new things. This is the reason why the decided not to support Mac audio units (it´s a pity since some plugin only come as AU´s) but it´s also the reason why the fire out new features now every two month´s or so…
Since i got Bitwig i did not use Live so often anymore and decided not to make the pricy jump to Live9. One thing that i really miss though is the big community of users sharing tips and tricks since Bitwig is so fresh in the market, but i have the feeling that is about to change :-)
1st post...

CFM

Post by CFM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Don't care a monkey's uncle about Bitwig.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:13 am

A hip hop producer on instagram about two weeks ago by the name of Ski Beatz who uses ableton posted a picture on instagram for about 5 minutes in which he took down, but in the picture was ableton and he said something along the lines of my ableton connect just came through and some big things are coming you have no idea. *not verbatim, but pretty fucking close* I was in class when I saw it so I didn't pay much attention to it and when I thought about it later it was already gone. All I slightly remember, is that the picture was of the piano roll.

so hopefully they are attempting to squash bigwigs hype.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:33 am

I'm selling both :D (bitwig was a very short fling, good program, but the thing I keep running into that I just cannot handle anymore is the dropout/glitch thing that happens sometimes)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:35 am

pinkpaint wrote:A hip hop producer on instagram about two weeks ago by the name of Ski Beatz who uses ableton posted a picture on instagram for about 5 minutes in which he took down, but in the picture was ableton and he said something along the lines of my ableton connect just came through and some big things are coming you have no idea. *not verbatim, but pretty fucking close* I was in class when I saw it so I didn't pay much attention to it and when I thought about it later it was already gone. All I slightly remember, is that the picture was of the piano roll.

What!!

I just want to know what this even means. Surely, someone must have saved the image somewhere.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:48 am

pinkpaint wrote:A hip hop producer on instagram about two weeks ago by the name of Ski Beatz who uses ableton posted a picture on instagram for about 5 minutes in which he took down, but in the picture was ableton and he said something along the lines of my ableton connect just came through and some big things are coming you have no idea. *not verbatim, but pretty fucking close* I was in class when I saw it so I didn't pay much attention to it and when I thought about it later it was already gone. All I slightly remember, is that the picture was of the piano roll.

Hmm, awesomeness is very relative. A select group of people think M4L is awesome, but for me its an overly complex solution to a problem that I didn't have. A lot of people thought L9 was awesome, but for me it has been the crashiest and most prone to making crackling noises and the features were mostly bunk.

I will not be holding my breath on Ableton's idea of awesomeness. I predict some 3rd party tie-ins and a way to sound like whatever the big EDM sound is this week, plus a feature everyone wanted but has been half finished and barely works unless you edit a .py file, and edit your XML on the fly.

Live 9 throws actual bluescreens here. I've not seen them for years!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:56 am

I remember from the beta up until now you've REALLY had a rough time. Though early on it had some minor stability issues, it's been solid for me (well, except M4L, which I abandoned)

TheDZA

Post by TheDZA » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 am

"I have the good people of ableton stopping by today to update me on the latest and greatest Ableton… http://instagram.com/p/ycs9nyFQM2/"

"My ableton plug just left. All I can say is get ready for something incredible!!!! #ableton #gamechanger http://instagram.com/p/ydGN4dFQKK/"

Intrigued but not got any high hopes.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Yep that second one says page not found for me, but that was the instagram post in which I was referring to.