Push in rewire-slave mode

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
yyikes!

Push in rewire-slave mode

Post by yyikes! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm

I like to work with Logic pro's mixer/sequencer/... And I've been rewire-ing Live 8 (and reason) to it because Live has some great features as well. I was thinking about updating to Live9 and Push, but it seems Push (and other ableton controllers) won't work in rewire-slave mode.

It would be great to me if Ableton would make Push rewire-slave compatible.

Moreover: how about a "switch" or "toggle button" that would allow it to work either as an ableton controller (as it is meant to be) or as a plain and simple midi-controller. That way, when I'm working with Ableton and Logic, I can use it as an ableton controller to, let's say, make beats in Live, or when I press this "switch button", I can use it as a normal midi-controller in logic, so I can control instruments etc. in logic.

Would love this and buy it immediately

esptt

Re: Push in rewire-slave mode

Post by esptt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:52 am

I'm struggling with the same thing man.
The best we can do at this point is to get nativeKONTROL PXT- General
http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-General.html

It works great for notes and stuff (even better than Pushs original script actually), but you still can't control Ableton itself..
I really hope that this gets fixed..

cjonesnyc

Post by cjonesnyc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:11 pm

+1
Thats definitely a feature I would expect Live to have and would love to use. Currently I don't use Ableton as a rewire slave mainly because third party plugins don't run in slave mode.
So VST/AU/M4L support in live as rewire slave would be great as well.

AvrahamTal

Post by AvrahamTal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:04 am

this is crazy/ cant use PUSH in rewire mode, cant use VST pluggins in rewire mode///
ive found another solution is to sync both DAW cubase and ableton throw IAC
( http://sonicbloom.net/en/synchronising- ... of-rewire/ )
but its hard to work like that, each time i want to stop/play i have to go back to cubase window.
if there was a way i can make them both act as master and slave
any one??

whatisvalis

Post by whatisvalis » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:57 am

Reaper can handle VSTs in ReWire.

Please Ableton get Max working in rewire, it will open up so many awesome ways of working.

[i](o)

Post by [i](o) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Ableton's (or Propellerhead's) programmers should really be able to sort this out without too much brain damage. It has got to be a priority fix. The amount of money spent by end users on supposedly professional software & hardware deserves better. It should work, no question about it. To be told: "please note that when Live is running as a ReWire slave: No VST or AU plugins are available. It is not possible to use MIDI controllers as native Control Surfaces in Live." is just not good enough. At least, there should be an explanation. I'm sure there are complex tech and/or legal reasons (licenses etc)... but ReWire is kind of useless without full functionality for the slave application. For the record, I have a Waves suite of plugs amongst other things, and an APC40, both purchased to use with Ableton, none available in slave mode. Boo.

augment

Post by augment » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:04 pm

+1 for rewire with push and 3rd Party plugs

augment

Post by augment » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:27 pm

WORK AROUND - I've managed to get Logic and Live running in stand alone (not in rewire mode). opened Logic then Live, set the tempos and I then use the nudge buttons to fine tune sync. nice to have 3rd party plugs, push and max working in Live . Bounce out tracks or reboot into rewire and record into Logic. cheers easy !

SluckP

Post by SluckP » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:43 am

+1

I would love to use rewired live with push.
In this way I could print my ideas directly out of session view into my rewire host.

VST rewire support would be nice to have, too.

Best Regards,
Nils

Guy Brush

Post by Guy Brush » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:57 am

Still not possible? Such a shame. For me arranging in Live is still very difficult to get into. Lack of mouse tools. You have to like it. Cubase is much easier to handle with the little right-click-toolbox and big arrangement and editor views. I thought, Push would give more control and workflow but it still hangs everywhere. For me at least. Who started with Cubase, tried Live for a few years and will now go back to Cubase. Ableton will possibly stay there as a tool to warp audio when needed, where i find cubase a little hard to use. So still no perfect solution but arranging is more crucial than warping. Why cant they all work together like they should...I think about selling my Push to buy a Maschine. Should be sufficient for quick sequencing.

Akayemusica

Post by Akayemusica » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:10 am

...... are you kidding? Ableton push can't be used in rewire slave mode? This is the entire reason I just bought ableton and push.. so I could use both with rewire in Pro Tools 12. Someone please tell me there is a fix for this. Ableton? Propellerhead? This is crazy.

entity

Post by entity » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:30 am

Is this something that will work with Push 2 / Live 9.5?

I'm quite up for upgrading but not if this issue hasn't been sorted
ABLENOOBY

designwebuk

Post by designwebuk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:58 am

I spoke to Ableton support the other day about the Rewire issues and they said Max 4 Live and VST plugins won't work because of the Rewire protocol.
Well that is not entirely true as I can use Reaper as a Rewire slave with Pro Tools and I get full VST support, I can even use Mackie Control from Reaper at the same time.
I'm interested in Push 2, but may hold off on Upgrading just because of this reason.

Now Ableton 9.5 is a good update and Push 2 looks amazing, but there are still lot of features missing for professional use.

1. Bounce in place and other bouncing options
2. Stability is still an issue for me, it seems like stability has gotten worse with every major release, I can run a medium sized project with Video at 32 buffer in Reaper containing 50 tracks without getting any pops and I can run the Pro Tools demo session, which is about 70 tracks and heaps of VI's and plugins at 32 buffer no problem.
In Ableton I can run about 5 tracks with VI's and at 32 buffer it falls to bits.

How anyone could trust this application in a live situation is beyond me.

3. Also we need more features for the Audio side of things, being able to edit audio within a clip like you can in Bigwig would be a huge leap for Ableton too.

More Pro Features and options please.
Last edited by designwebuk on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

designwebuk

Post by designwebuk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:29 pm

Akayemusica wrote:...... are you kidding? Ableton push can't be used in rewire slave mode? This is the entire reason I just bought ableton and push.. so I could use both with rewire in Pro Tools 12. Someone please tell me there is a fix for this. Ableton? Propellerhead? This is crazy.
Yep it's a real downer I'm afraid.

I use Pro Tools and Reaper for the bulk of my mixing and audio editing, as Ableton still really lacks features in those areas.
It would be much better if you could use Max 4 Live and Push in Rewire Slave mode, so that it's more like Maschine.

Ableton would sell more units by opening it up this way.

entity

Post by entity » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:56 pm

THIS!!!
ABLENOOBY