Lock layered drum parts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Regrind

Lock layered drum parts?

Post by Regrind » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:37 am

What up y'all?
I've been messing with layering drums now for the past several months. Love it and have my workflow down pretty tight, but hit a brick wall today and as usual can't seem to Google my answer.
How can I "lock?" parts that I have in my instrument rack within my drum rack so that I can add an EQ to both parts at the same time, or make volume adjustments, etc..? An example being, if I want to place the kick at 14L I'd have to do that to each kick individually. I thought that the copy to siblings would just effect what was in that rack but it effects the drum rack globally.
It makes total sense why it's setup the way it is. And I could very well just resample the new layered part and have my way with it as my default templet has a resampling channel on it. Just wondering if there's something that I'm missing, because I usually am. According to long line of dumb hussies.
Thanks, as always.

MisterGupton.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

mothergarage

Re: Lock layered drum parts?

Post by mothergarage » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:58 am

open the chain list. select all the drums you want to affect. hit ctrl+g or rightclick and select "Group".
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:06 am

mothergarage wrote:open the chain list. select all the drums you want to affect. hit ctrl+g or rightclick and select "Group".
This is how I set up layered drum parts to begin with. I don't consider parallel MIDI tracks as layering per se. I want a single MIDI track row driving a layered drum voice, so that I can make subtle changes to the part when I want without having to worry about multiple patterns. Of course, different sounds may need different patterns and different ones may thicken up parts, but I try to avoid those if possible in the same basic patterns.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon May 04, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:43 am

Racks within racks. Man, that's deep. I never thought of that. Thanks.

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:46 am

Yep. That works exactly how I want.
That's all I was after.
I'm just now entering the EQ and compress everything phase and was getting pissy about how much work it was to manage the other workflow. This should save me a bunch of time.