Is anybody here good at making acapellas?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
whj

Is anybody here good at making acapellas?

Post by whj » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:07 am

Need an acapella making but struggling having never done it before.

It's from a movie with music in the background, so simply using phase cancellation with an instrumental isn't an option, or if it is, its a difficult one. I had a go at this and also tried the M/S EQ with multiband dynamics compressor technique. Still couldn't get it clean but not being experienced at it and it being an especially tricky one it is probably just me.

It would be MASSIVELY appreciated if someone could help.

re:dream

Re: Is anybody here good at making acapellas?

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:13 am

Can one ever get an acapella completely clean though?

whj

Post by whj » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:35 am

re:dream wrote:Can one ever get an acapella completely clean though?
Doesn't have to be perfectly clean but I couldn't get it so it wouldn't be noticeable.

Bayley

Post by Bayley » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:42 am

whj wrote:Need an acapella making but struggling having never done it before.

It's from a movie with music in the background, so simply using phase cancellation with an instrumental isn't an option, or if it is, its a difficult one. I had a go at this and also tried the M/S EQ with multiband dynamics compressor technique. Still couldn't get it clean but not being experienced at it and it being an especially tricky one it is probably just me.

Maybe try using a Gate at the start of the chain to cut out anything lower than a certain level?

whj

Post by whj » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:58 am

Bayley wrote:
whj wrote:Need an acapella making but struggling having never done it before.

Maybe try using a Gate at the start of the chain to cut out anything lower than a certain level?
The problem with a gate was I found it was too harsh so would either cut into the vocal too much or leave too much of the mids in the music.

The multiband dynamics set to 1:0.25 was a more accurate way of doing this after initially cleaning it as much as possible with the m/s eq and I think someone with more skill than me could do a pretty good job with it.

I know it can be done because the very vocal I'm after is in an oldish trance track (but with too much processing to think about trying to get it from there). There's no other way it could have been used as far as I know.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:56 am

if the movie has 5.1/surround audio you might be able to extract the center channel, and you'll likely end up with a clean sample as the music/background is usually sent through the L & R front/back speakers and dialog though the center.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:45 am

°^^^ thats nice