Live 9.7 + Yosemite MacBookPro + 2nd Screen = Nightmare

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MArc75_RLP

Live 9.7 + Yosemite MacBookPro + 2nd Screen = Nightmare

Post by MArc75_RLP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Guys,

i am using Ableton Live since Version 4 but so many crashes since update to Yosemite and Live 9 I never discovered before.
Crashes after simplest operations only cutting audio files and want to render it for example to mono. Crash not only Live the hole OS goes down, 2 times. Without any plugin or internal stuff open. Windows not readable only green colored window pos up etc.
All that bugs are reported since months to the crew, the latest beta should solve but it didn´t. It´s really frustrating to work with Live at the moment, and I think about to switch the DAW now. I don´t want too switch but it´s really time for Ableton to solve now, please deliver solid update latest next week:-)

regards,

Marc

Stromkraft

Re: Live 9.7 + Yosemite MacBookPro + 2nd Screen = Nightmare

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:38 pm

MArc75_RLP wrote:many crashes since update to Yosemite and Live 9 I never discovered before.
Crashes after simplest operations only cutting audio files and want to render it for example to mono. Crash not only Live the hole OS goes down, 2 times. Without any plugin or internal stuff open. Windows not readable only green colored window pos up etc.
All that bugs are reported since months to the crew, the latest beta should solve but it didn´t. It´s really frustrating to work with Live at the moment, and I think about to switch the DAW now. I don´t want too switch but it´s really time for Ableton to solve now, please deliver solid update latest next week:-)
!. This is not typical at all. We use 9.1.7 on a new Macbook Pro running on Yosemite and a 2nd low-rez screen in the studio. Not one crash so far. If the whole OS goes down you have larger issues than any Ableton Live bug. Sounds like hardware issues to me.
2. I had a recent round of recurring crashes on my Mavericks machine (older Macbook Pro). Turned out to be UberMap (a hack). You need to look over your installation, including VSTs/AUs as chances are it's something you've installed.
3. If you have a specific problem you turn to Ableton support. That's what you did as indicated by "reported since months to the crew"? But you don't tell us what they said?
Make some music!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Do an erase and reinstall. I've seen many Yosemite upgrades get corrupted. A clean install always works.

MArc75_RLP

Post by MArc75_RLP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 am

Hi Guys,

thanks for reply, i have HighRes Screen i think that's the main problem, if I work mainly on Laptop Screen I don´t have so many Problems, but guys we have 2015 this cannot be! Support told me they are informed about that Problem and working on it, but from my Point of view progress is for sure to slow. I am personally not satisfied with the update speed from Ableton at the moment, competitors in the same price range push much more updates out. Because guys the Software is not cheap compare it to Logic (199Eur) or Cubase and their function range. So I expect a proper support and fast problem solving for such a price and pro Software. Especially when we talking about such essential issues with basic operations.

best regards,

MArc

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:58 pm

MArc75_RLP wrote: I expect a proper support and fast problem solving for such a price and pro Software. Especially when we talking about such essential issues with basic operations.
????

How is this a typical problem that is valid for everyone? You have crashes, yet don't think trough what causes these to happen? Can your graphics card drive the external screen in other real-time apps? Are you sure plug-ins aren't involved?

I also sometimes have crashes. More often than not, the cause isn't found in Live, at least not solely. Meaning more often than not I can fix the crashes I do have. That means they stop. This isn't what you want?

I'm not saying Live can't be at fault in your case here. Just that you really are jumping to conclusions. Real-time software with hardware and third-party code (plug-ins) do put very demanding tasks on the machine. There can be many reasons for crashes.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

MArc75_RLP

Post by MArc75_RLP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi,

I use my second screen basically as main screen, so laptop isn´t in front of me, never discovered any problems with other software.
And it´s as described above, I open live cutting a Audio and want to export it as new file in mono for example.
That hole shit crashing down to hell, without any FX or whatever tools open, please but what has that to do with any graphic calculation or gpu problem.
Also a fact same setup running really well with mavericks, it was my mistake to directly update without proper backup. On the other hand the Yosemite update was released around 4 months ago.
It´s not my intension to diss Ableton here but for sure it´s my intension to push the guys and coming out of there comfort zone and releasing stable stuff;-)question is live really for live with all that bugs? will you go to stage with a normal live project and a lot of 3rd party stuff inside, or only with project that is stripped down to some audio loops. To be sure you don´t end up with a crash during your performance?

Mariosprt

Post by Mariosprt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi

Your problem may not be Ableton Live or Yosemite at all.
My case: I bought a rMBP that came with Mavericks and Ableton crashed all the time, doing things like Alt+Tab. Then I started getting kernel panics. That's when I got worried. When the whole system halts and you get a grey screen with a warning that you have to reboot. That's a kernel panic. Is that what you have?
Well I decided to perform a clean install like others suggested you should do. In my case it worked. Since all my plugins seem to be Yosemite compatible, after the clean install (of Mavericks) I updated to Yosemite and only then began installing and testing.
Now Ableton seems to be happy. Sometimes OS files get corrupted by some reason and you only get trouble with some apps and not others.

MArc75_RLP

Post by MArc75_RLP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi Guys,

ok I will perform clean install now, I let you know the result.

Regards

Mariosprt

Post by Mariosprt » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 am

I know it's a bummer to do. Specially of you have a bunch of plugins like me. And you just did a clean install 2 months before :) but just install Live and test it really well. Hope it works.

MArc75_RLP

Post by MArc75_RLP » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Hi Guys,

i decided to wait, because due to the release of 9.2. and since now 9.2b3 it´s working, puh.
Thanks to Ableton Team but it was quiet long time for that fix, maybe related to the priority it´s not so common problem. My feeling was if i have a basic OS issue i don´t have problems with only one software and some operations, and I am lucky I am not a stupid 40 years old guy.

best regards,

Marc