understanding PDC problems and solutions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dolomick

Re: understanding PDC problems and solutions

Post by dolomick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 pm

-----------
And to all keeping to complain: That thing isn't something you can't fix.
You can always Rewire Live into a DAW, and use the working features you like from Live.

I got pissed off by that too and was frustrated investing so much into one thing
that was buggy from first day and never got right. I got over it, searched a solution and found mine.
Now I'm happier then before and maybe have never switched to a better solution if I were satisfied from the start.
Should say thanks...somehow...LOL....!

On the other hand I won't give up the few real awesome things Live still has for me...[/quote]
--------------------------

So what solution did you decide on? Rewiring Live into Studio One or just using Studio One by itself and occasionally booting up Live in standalone mode? I am debating these two options myself.

pishposh86

Post by pishposh86 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:04 am

petit nuage wrote:this issue is quite depressing for me because i must choose betwen delay compensation on or off ..and then.. to choose what kinds of troubles i prefer ... :cry:
so it will be nice that ABLETON make a note about that and tell us some good workaround, advices etc...

IMO, its a bit sad, that live cannot allows you to use third parties plugs efficiently and that we have to wait for live 9 for a rock solid timing ....
Ha, and yet here we are...|glares at calendar|

pishposh86

Post by pishposh86 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 am

dolomick wrote:-----------
And to all keeping to complain: That thing isn't something you can't fix.
You can always Rewire Live into a DAW, and use the working features you like from Live.

I got pissed off by that too and was frustrated investing so much into one thing
that was buggy from first day and never got right. I got over it, searched a solution and found mine.
Now I'm happier then before and maybe have never switched to a better solution if I were satisfied from the start.
Should say thanks...somehow...LOL....!

On the other hand I won't give up the few real awesome things Live still has for me...
--------------------------

...except for those of us who want to micro-edit third-party chains in Live.

I have been waiting for them to fix this since Live 6. And yes, I have read that it's a bug (yes, a bug) too deeply embedded in Live's functionality that it can't possibly ever be fixed without giving up the ability to load a set previous to the "fix".

In all seriousness, though, any agitation expressed in this comment is not at you, it is at Live. I am mostly just curious about what your life-changing (not sarcasm; music is our lives here, after all) workaround you are using. I mean, more specifically than in your comment. i.e. what DAW are you rewiring into, are you actually using ReWire or is it some other utility like Soundflower, Jack, etc?

If you have the time to PM me I'd much appreciate it (does quoting a person's post even notify them? :) ).

Thanks!

Azedex

Post by Azedex » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:04 pm

That Delay Problem really sucks....

Cant use Ozone on Master anymore the Delay is like 1-2s
Cant use EQ Eight anymore like im used to, have to export or make a new Track just for 1 automation....

How you guys handle this ? Do i really have to export every single Synth ?

Im sorry im a big fan of Live but gonna check out Cubase...

Hopefully this gets fixed

Im using a i7 4770k with 16gb with rme babyface so not a slowbird really...

regards

ps: im working with 50-150 lines

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:09 am

Azedex wrote: How you guys handle this ? Do i really have to export every single Synth ?
I save the clips to a folder, with the same name as the project, when it sounds about right, then I freeze the track at low latency and flatten it. No need to export, just save a backup in case you really need to change something.

I find it a good thing to force yourself to commit. If you record live audio, you have what you have to work with, so this move takes it in that direction.

I'll keep an eye on Bitwig, but otherwise I see no reason to not use Live. I have no idea why anyone would need up to a 100 tracks unless you're recording a symphonic orchestra. I make do with 30 max. Layers go into racks.
Make some music!

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Azedex wrote: How you guys handle this ? Do i really have to export every single Synth ?
I save the clips to a folder, with the same name as the project, when it sounds about right, then I freeze the track at low latency and flatten it. No need to export, just save a backup in case you really need to change something.

I find it a good thing to force yourself to commit. If you record live audio, you have what you have to work with, so this move takes it in that direction.
Can you elaborate on this a bit more? It sounds like you are only working in session mode? Are you exporting a stereo mixdown?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:35 am

dolomick wrote:
Can you elaborate on this a bit more? It sounds like you are only working in session mode? Are you exporting a stereo mixdown?
I'm working both in Session and Arrangement. Freezing works also on arrangements. I'm not exporting a stereo mixdown before the mix is ready.

I "commit" by
  • Freezing while developing a track and flattening when I feel the captured "performance" (and sometimes there is a long performance recorded via MIDI there, but not always) is where I want it to be. Flattening then means committing to a recording. Compare to recording an external instrument with comping and finalizing what takes goes where.
  • I "print" returns if need be by recording from the return in question, then turning off the devices on the return track
  • Sometimes I resample too
When I have committed to a track, I use other devices to finalize the sound I want, like side-chained compression/EQ, channel strips, distorsion/saturation. Keeping it as simple as I want for mixdown.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

NF

Post by NF » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 am

dolomick wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Hi dolomick,

it is a common practise to render tracks offline. The technique was necessary in times where multicore or DSP cards didn't exist. Audacity DSP is an example in modern times. Even ProTools 5 HD had offline plug-ins when I learned on it.

One way is to freeze audio tracks or clips. The other way is to render stems and work with these "new kind" of material. It is not easy to teach oneself to realise the producing steps. Is this still my idea from the scratch? Is it time now for playing with the channel strip only (e.g. creative mixing)? How do I preserve the persistence of my workflow if I have to step back? Is doubling tracks/ clips enough so "save" a state? Is my patch now gone? This questions are not only significant for the arrangement.

It can be very refreshing to sit infront of a new track view with the same material. Accepting that parameter A of Part C is fix makes a big step forward and frees the mind. This can help to focus on another level of producing music- personally and creative wise.

From the technical way I had one PDC problem in 7 years- and that was caused by a plug-in update. In live the volume automation had a huge delay. When I know that a plugin is very CPU intensive I freeze the track without this automation and try to automate it the step after freezing.

It's recommended to save ressources to not loose the focus on making music.

I hope you now ask yourself where you want to be in a production process.
happy producing and rendering :)
The cool thing about techno still, comparing it to most jazz is the improvisation coupled with raw energy.

jcalvorquin

Post by jcalvorquin » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:06 am

So 13 years after... this stills unresolved... oh dear...

I wish I knew how to code in MAX or C++ to make some simple device to measure this Transport Sync issue...