One of those threads about the future of Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pinkpaint

One of those threads about the future of Ableton

Post by pinkpaint » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Ableton has certainly received praise with the release of Ableton Live 9. However, as this update has continued to develop, we have seen a complete lack of development. People praise the use of Ableton Push, yet it is not exceeding the demands of further development, even with competitors such as Bitwig making a controller script that has a lot more function in the wig then in its own place of birth Ableton. Unfortunately, there is limited flexibility while using push in Ableton at the moment.

Instrument development seems to be left behind? Keep in mind many of Abletons original developers came from Native Instruments to make a DAW, apparently abandoning the idea of making instruments? I LOVE OPERATOR, can we get an operator 2? Can we get a few new instruments? Maybe a time and pitch algorithm added to the sampler as a function to make it similar to kontakt for building instruments from sounds?

PDC. Well, there is no need to even waste my time with this. Everyone with large projects deals with this hassle. If you aren't going to fix PDC give us a bounce in place similar to studio one where we can revert our bounce at any time and recall the fx and automation and midi data. Because currently the only work around is bouncing when you get it sounding right on that one track for large projects and thats annoying.

Browser: We want to be able to organize our plug in library like these cubase and logic kids. I would love to see my third party vsts organized with my ableton effects in its browser. I would personally also like the ability to put instruments on that tab and rename it from audio fx to Browser of epic.

Keyboard Shortcuts: We love being able to bind things to our computer keyboard to make shortcuts for, however, it would be awesome just to get a keyboard shortcut editor where we can change the keys of existing shortcuts.

Its been more than a year since ableton has even done anything somewhat awesome for its customers and Im just wondering what are they doing about such things.

I feel like Bitwig has made Ableton into super secretive mode as they are probably trying to develop a lot of stuff to trump the wigs out of the market. I dunno tho.

ash1

Re: One of those threads about the future of Ableton

Post by ash1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:52 pm

what the guy said below lol
Last edited by ash1 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Make music with what's available and if you can't, time to move on.Threads like this fall on deaf ears your time is precious don't waste it here mate.

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:53 am

It's approaching two years since v9 and Push were released, lack of development or secret development because of competitors like Bitwig or whatever the case is it's disappointing to see them slack on the development especially for what seemed like a game changing product like Push. Live 9 has been great by all means but a lot has changed in the music software industry in the last two years I hope whatever comes for Live 10 and Push is innovative because I think were all tired of the 9.1.xxx updates

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 am

RDiiO wrote:It's approaching two years since v9 and Push were released, lack of development or secret development because of competitors like Bitwig or whatever the case is it's disappointing to see them slack on the development especially for what seemed like a game changing product like Push. Live 9 has been great by all means but a lot has changed in the music software industry in the last two years I hope whatever comes for Live 10 and Push is innovative because I think were all tired of the 9.1.xxx updates
Holy shit, use some interpunction, mate!

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:55 am

What features do you miss? Regarding instruments, did you explore their full potential as is? Are you sure you really know the ins and outs of FM synthesis (0Hz -FM for example, see Rob Hordijk's webpages on the G2 modular : most of the FM tricks he describes can be achieved with Operator)? Did you explore Tension and Electric in their depth? If you have Max for Live, add Oscillot, and you will have plenty of new things to do. I just do not see what you are complaining about... Also, if you have plug-ins, you probably have more than what you could hope from any update done by the Abes...

Apparently PDC has just been updated in the first beat of 9.2. Remains to be tested though...

and the browser needs updating, for sure, but many pros seem to live with it and do music, no? :)
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:55 am

9.2 Beta's release notes sound interesting.

# justsaying...

But seriously, a bad workman etc etc. Our tools are good, and I think rather than looking to our DAWs to come up with 'game changing innovations' we should focus on making better music.

I am in general rather baffled by the tendency to want more and more power and flexibility in software ... while much of the user base seems to churn out the same old same old predictable and generic sounds.

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:56 am

re:dream wrote:9.2 Beta's release notes sound interesting.

# justsaying...

But seriously, a bad workman etc etc. Our tools are good, and I think rather than looking to our DAWs to come up with 'game changing innovations' we should focus on making better music.

I am in general rather baffled by the tendency to want more and more power and flexibility in software ... while much of the user base seems to churn out the same old same old predictable and generic music.
+1

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm

PDC is fixed in the latest beta.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Probably the most ill-timed thread ever made.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Unsound Designer

ash1

Post by ash1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:45 pm

:D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

stringtapper wrote:Probably the most ill-timed thread ever made.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think so,
while it's always been pretty obvious they are working quietly on fixing bugs, there has also been a pretty obvious public interest in where exactly Ableton are heading in general.
They have made some unusual moves in some odd directions and this makes people assume the captain is drunk. Of course, the fixes to PDC and adding a tuner show that they do indeed listen to their community, but it will take something quite different than that to convince me the captain isn't drunk.

Just an example of the broader point about direction:
Ableton at one point was the uncontested leader in live performance for 'Producers' and DJs, back then the application wasn't realyl perfect for either but it had champions who struggled through. I expect DJs using Live 5 when hoping for things like Mp3 inclusion were also hoping for more on-the-fly functionality to do away with pre-analysis. An area that NI Traktor really stepped up and into. Likewise 'Producers' hoping to have groups of presets for live performance and to flip through them, call them up via program changes, etc. Apple came along with Main stage and took that.
I could list more features just in these two functional areas, but for brevity I wont.

Mysteriously Ableton went 4 versions for 5 to 9 and still did not address the leaking DJ market, an abortive parnership with a virtual vinyl company didn't address the core issues about DJing with Ableton. A new browser for L9 did not address the core issues of preset flipping, grouping and location.

The direction of the Ableton ship is still a mystery.
For sure they will tidy up the ship, sweep the decks and replace the torn sails long complained about. But where is this ship going, does anybody know, and where is the captain. Is he drunk?
Last edited by Angstrom on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

by the way, the current version of Operator is already 2.0 :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 pm

moscom_musik wrote:
re:dream wrote:9.2 Beta's release notes sound interesting.

# justsaying...

I am in general rather baffled by the tendency to want more and more power and flexibility in software ... while much of the user base seems to churn out the same old same old predictable and generic music.
+1

I’ll drink to that as well.

With Live’s available complexities a lot of things I read about on here come out like “How can I best not think about anything or play a single note when composing music?”

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:56 pm

beats me wrote: With Live’s available complexities a lot of things I read about on here come out like “How can I best not think about anything or play a single note when composing music?”
:)
Make some music!