Ability To Disable Recording Clips for Audio Tracks

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
grpetz

Ability To Disable Recording Clips for Audio Tracks

Post by grpetz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Really enjoying Ableton Live 9, I think I have a good feature suggestion that would be very useable. I'll explain my situation...

I have been using the built in Ableton looper as a return track to record any audio output from my keyboards, synths and VSTi midi tracks. That's great to make a simple loop, however it doesn't work the best with creating scenes on the fly, and it doesn't take advantage of the ability to make individual clips of the tracks recorded. In my case I tried changing the setting in my preferences to "start recording on scene launch" to try a work around for this situation... that works great for recording all the midi data of the tracks that are armed, but it also records my armed vocal audio tracks and creates clips for those, and I don't want those vocals to be looped with the scene clips. Plus there are times when I would not need to make clips of the keyboard and synth audio tracks that are armed. Basically for me, at least most of the time, I would only be needing to record clips and making scenes from any of the midi VSTi tracks. I can't just choose the "in" monitoring function and disarm the vocal audio tracks because they need to be recorded.

So I believe there needs to be a way to selectively choose what audio tracks you would like to record as a clip when the option of "start recording on scene launch" is chosen. What about an option to disable all recording of audio tracks as a clip when they are armed or selecting only the ones you will need recorded as clips? I only have a few audio tracks recording keys and synths that would need to be looped occasionally, most of them are the midi VSTi tracks.

Perhaps with this suggested feature there could be a way to also make it operate with midi controllers to engage or dis-engage the recording of audio clips on the fly, when needed?

What do you think Ableton? Would really appreciate it!

Gary

Pitch Black

Re: Ability To Disable Recording Clips for Audio Tracks

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:14 am

What about using the "Remove Stop Button" function on certain clip slots, would that work?

Select a clip slot then right-click > Remove Stop Button, or Command-E (mac) / CNTRL-E (pc).

Now, nothing will be recorded in that clip slot when the Scene is triggered. Any currently-playing or currently-recording clip in that track will continue to play or record (gettit? - remove stop button).

hope this helps!
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

grpetz

Post by grpetz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:20 am

Hmmmm. Will have to try it out and let you know. Thank you.

Gary

grpetz

Post by grpetz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:00 pm

Thank you... that does work! So many features in Ableton that I just didn't know about yet... still learning.. and enjoying it!

Gary