What Max 4 Live device can't you do without?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tedlogan

Re: What Max 4 Live device can't you do without?

Post by tedlogan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm lucky then I suppose. I also have Conv Rev Pro x 2 in my default set in Returns - never startup crashes.I rarely crash actually, and I demand to know why.

Old 2009 i7 920 with a battered HD, half-broken GPU and Windows 7. Everything on this PC runs like shit nowadays, but I rarely crash in Live.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:15 pm

tedlogan wrote:I'm lucky then I suppose. I also have Conv Rev Pro x 2 in my default set in Returns - never startup crashes.I rarely crash actually, and I demand to know why.

Old 2009 i7 920 with a battered HD, half-broken GPU and Windows 7. Everything on this PC runs like shit nowadays, but I rarely crash in Live.
maybe Live thinks you already suffer enough?! :mrgreen:

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:35 pm

:mrgreen:

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:My default set has the Convolution reverb and the LFO in it (mapped to the delay speed on a return).
The convo reverb is an excellent piece of work and hopefully one day they make a native version, similarly for the LFO and I hope they can make that version a relative mapping, rather than the M4L absolute mapping.

Having default sets with M4L devices does cause a crash on startup 3 times out of 4, but once its running its reasonably stable. Although it does cause a few occasional blue-screens on device delete (these bugs are filed).

I make my synths, effects and tools in Reaktor these days. It's quicker and more intuitive for what I need to get done. I started on NI Generator back in the 90s, so that helps.

This is the thing the Reaktor user library is gold and it doesn't seem to matter how far back I go the patches work. Maxforlive.com is also a fantastic resource but there are already devices that are no longer working. Not seeing much startup crashes 9.1.6 but sometimes live will just throw an exeption crash which on checking back on logs always seems to be maxforlive related. Just upgraded to 9.1.7 so will see if that remedies.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 am

S4racen wrote:I know it's a conflict of interests but i haven't put Asteroids down for a week now...

Cheers
D

Nice nice nice. Money down.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Mono ARP and LFO.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:46 pm

I forgot one - Granulator 2. I don't have any other granular synths, and have recently started exploring this avenue. Zebra, Bazille and Hive cover my other needs.

Some very gnarly possibilities with this thing. I just wish the parameters were better laid out on Push. I think I'll go learn from within M4L how to make them show up.

If anyone has any quick advice on how to do this (organise the parameters in banks for Max for Live devices), I'd be happy to hear.

For now, Google will hopefully point me in the right direction.
Last edited by tedlogan on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:10 pm

tedlogan wrote:I forgot one - Granulator 2. I don't have any other granular synths, and have recently started exploring this avenue. Zebra, Bazille and Hive cover my other needs.

Some very gnarly possibilities with this thing. I just wish the parameters were better laid out on Push. I think I'll go learn from within M4L how to make them show up.

If anyone has any quick advice on how to do this (organise the parameters in banks), I'd be happy to hear.

For now, Google will hopefully point me in the right direction.

I've remapped Granulator parameters for my needs, don't know if it will fit yours but here it is:
http://tete-de-son.com/Push/

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Wow, thanks so much. I'm sure the mappings will be fine - the default one is 1 bank, yours is 8.

Cheers!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Yup, your banks make sense, thanks again.

I've only briefly played with granular synthesis before.

I'm actually in love with Granulator 2 and cannot believe I ignored it for so long.

Granulator + delays (Satin in this case) + Push's note sequencer + tweaking + M4L building blocks = fantastic. Really cool so far for making unusual percussive loops. Looking forward to make some textures.

I can safely say that this is the one M4L device I don't want to live without.

Jamoflage

Post by Jamoflage » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:33 pm

I use LFO and Envelope follower mostly:

Kick drum to tabla sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jiPRYgLNOk

Watery bubbles to any sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vojo_p5Py8

Emulating the Effectron delay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJrfcKJcrw

Add descending low end to an acoustic kick drum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKTW-6DfNrE

https://soundcloud.com/byzantine-time-machine

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:07 am

irrelevance wrote:I see there is already a new beta up since the first announcement. I can't be bothered to keep up with that! So I wait :|
The beta updates itself, so no need to keep up. It's a beta though.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:10 am

Angstrom wrote: Having default sets with M4L devices does cause a crash on startup 3 times out of 4, but once its running its reasonably stable. Although it does cause a few occasional blue-screens on device delete (these bugs are filed) ……

I make my synths, effects and tools in Reaktor these days. It's quicker and more intuitive for what I need to get done. I started on NI Generator back in the 90s, so that helps.
I don't get these startup crashes for whatever reason even as I have Dub Machines and CR in my default set. I've had a few delete crashes.

Have Ableton support been able to reproduce your crashes?

I also enjoy Reaktor for building tools, even though that's quite modest at the moment as I'm learning the environment at long last.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:11 am

I'm partial the to the Pluggo set included. I suppose I can do without them, but I owned Pluggo, and it was a real drag to lose that when Cycling decided they weren't wanting to deal with VST/AU anymore.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:39 am

I don't use many M4L devices, but regularly enjoy these
  • Dub Machines
  • Convolution Reverb (Pro is too heavy on my machine)
  • Envelope Follower
  • Autobeat

I also have Rokvid since more than a year, but haven't used that yet.
Make some music!