Send MIDI notes from iPad - what cable needed?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daniel_S

Send MIDI notes from iPad - what cable needed?

Post by Daniel_S » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Is there a cable so that the iPad can simply send the MIDI notes through to Live so that I can use the Waldorf Rocket app?

I have tried sending MIDI over wifi and got it to work well for a short time and then connection dropped and I cant get it to work again, so a cable option would be more reliable I would imagine.

Cheers

filter_7

Re: Send MIDI notes from iPad - what cable needed?

Post by filter_7 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:42 pm

I have an iO Dock II that is great; it has audio in and out too.

http://www.alesis.com/io-dock-ii

Or you can go simple with

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi2/

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:15 pm

The Lightning to USB camera connection adapter is $20.

It allows you to connect class-compliant midi and audio devices to your ipad.

A few devices can be powered solely on that connection individually. If you connect more than one, or higher powered devices, then you simply add a USB hub with power adapter.

Once you have that connected you can connect several devices if you please.

Lastly, if you want to transmit midi, then for your midi device I would either use an audio interface or midi controller that you might already own if it has a 'midi out' plug.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:22 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The Lightning to USB camera connection adapter is $20.

It allows you to connect class-compliant midi and audio devices to your ipad.

A few devices can be powered solely on that connection individually. If you connect more than one, or higher powered devices, then you simply add a USB hub with power adapter.

Once you have that connected you can connect several devices if you please.

Lastly, if you want to transmit midi, then for your midi device I would either use an audio interface or midi controller that you might already own if it has a 'midi out' plug.
This sounds like what I need. Would I simply need a standard USB cable to go from the adapter to my macbook?

Basically, I have an iPad app which allows me to control the parameters on my hardware waldorf rocket synth.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Oh, if you are doing midi INTO the computer, that is different. In fact, that would require an app that just came out. It is a newer concept, having wired midi between the computer and iPad (well, there is a hardware device, iconnectivity or something like that).

My solutions involved external use. So you'd basically be able to use a midi hardware device you already have and connect the hardware midi input and output.

To have a wired solution is way more obnoxious because Apple has a tight lock on the Lightening charging cable when connected directly to your computer, and into iTunes. Itunes acts as the gateway, and any program on your computer that needs midi has to interact through ports designated by itunes.

Honestly, I'm not super familiar with macs, more from the PC world.

If your device uses any additional software installations on your laptop, then it might get even more messy because that might be expecting a network input.

Lots of variables. So I am unsure

There are two apps to consider, midimux and midi le. But I cannot guarantee they would work at all. They rely on installing additional software, plus midimux is from the guys that made touchable 3. Touchable 3 works with a wired input as an option but it was recently broken by the latest version of iTunes, which makes me hesitant to consider any of their options. Especially at an investment of $10.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:10 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Oh, if you are doing midi INTO the computer, that is different. In fact, that would require an app that just came out. It is a newer concept, having wired midi between the computer and iPad (well, there is a hardware device, iconnectivity or something like that).

My solutions involved external use. So you'd basically be able to use a midi hardware device you already have and connect the hardware midi input and output.

To have a wired solution is way more obnoxious because Apple has a tight lock on the Lightening charging cable when connected directly to your computer, and into iTunes. Itunes acts as the gateway, and any program on your computer that needs midi has to interact through ports designated by itunes.

Honestly, I'm not super familiar with macs, more from the PC world.

If your device uses any additional software installations on your laptop, then it might get even more messy because that might be expecting a network input.

Lots of variables. So I am unsure

There are two apps to consider, midimux and midi le. But I cannot guarantee they would work at all. They rely on installing additional software, plus midimux is from the guys that made touchable 3. Touchable 3 works with a wired input as an option but it was recently broken by the latest version of iTunes, which makes me hesitant to consider any of their options. Especially at an investment of $10.
Sounds all very confusing for what should be very simple :)

Thanks for the time to reply dude, some options for me to consider anyway.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:53 am

just bought this for my old iphone, works really well here with my mac: http://musicioapp.com
Last edited by siliconarc on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcrystal

Post by jcrystal » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:19 pm

I bought it, works fine with Live9
garyboozy wrote:Saw this yesterday: http://musicioapp.com

Not tried it yet but looks like it could be pretty good.

Chris / touchAble

Post by Chris / touchAble » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Oh, if you are doing midi INTO the computer, that is different. In fact, that would require an app that just came out. It is a newer concept, having wired midi between the computer and iPad (well, there is a hardware device, iconnectivity or something like that).

hey man, sorry to hear that's been keeping you from using touchable! you are on windows i assume?
apple recently brought out a new update for iTunes that fixes this issue, and we'll have it worked around in the next update for the windows server.
you can get it from here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1784

simply overinstall and it should work fine again.. please let me know!

as for midimux:
i think it has a different concept than music IO.
midimux tries to integrate the iOS device into the Mac directly (and soon windows - the itunes issue is one of the reasons that kept us from releasing it)
meaning any device connected to the Mac is immediately available for all apps on the iOS device - as well as the other way around: all midi ports created by apps are immediately usable by Live or any other midi capable app on the Mac.

there's going to be a video explaining it shortly :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Actually, I have not had any problems yet because I just waited to update :). Are you saying that currently, I can update both itunes and to the latest server, and everything should work for windows? Or is there one or two more things I should wait on? Right now it works for me, so I'd rather wait for an ideal updating opportunity if there is still a bug or two to iron out.

Thank you for sharing the update!

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:07 pm

garyboozy wrote:just bought this for my old iphone, works really well here with my mac: http://musicioapp.com
This looks like just what I need - thanks dude :)