Good video on the Live developers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Good video on the Live developers

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tILlZRLhBJE

Surprised this wasn't posted here yet, unless I missed it. Very cool behind the scenes, and I daresay (hope?) a few interesting teasers too?

login

Re: Good video on the Live developers

Post by login » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:10 pm

I was surprised that so many people worked at Abes, would be interesting to know what they work at all the time. Maybe Live 10 is going to be a great update?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:28 pm

It is a nice doccie. I liked the bit where they talked about wandering in the desert after the release of Live 8

leoelzein

Post by leoelzein » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Pause the video at 5:07.
Could that be Live 10 ? :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Very cool, I like that they still feel very focused on stability.

A little disappointed that they talked so much about how clever they felt they were about coming up with new ideas for Live, (internal seminars to show off their ideas etc.) and the only hint that they listen to us as end users was the acknowledgment that we wanted a tuner. I mean there's this huge list of little features people want to see in Live, and they're mostly ignoring that in favor of coming up with things they think are cool. The impression left on me was that from the way they presented their internal seminars etc. whether it's anywhere near the case or not.

That said I have no doubt Live 10 will be awesome, and it's great to see they have no age limit at Ableton. Apple HQ is almost 100% 20-30 somethings...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:45 pm

That's all well and good, and they seem like earnest young men and woman, but the idiot that set the specs for the APC Mini and APC Key 25 w.r.t. ignoring Session Overview (so one can't change banks) should be fired. FIRED!!!

The idiot derived the Python code for the Mini from the APC Key 25, so he could ignore the difference in matrix sizes for absolutely no good reason, and there are all sorts of easy ways to implement it. Just swap the coding from the remote scripts for Push, the APC40 and Launchpad.

Moving the matrix by track/scene serves no useful purpose whatever, except to make beginners feel like they're doing something... SHEESH! FIXIT!!!

roringtonsmithe

Post by roringtonsmithe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Whole load of yes please there.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Buleriachk wrote:That's all well and good, and they seem like earnest young men and woman, but the idiot that set the specs for the APC Mini and APC Key 25 w.r.t. ignoring Session Overview (so one can't change banks) should be fired. FIRED!!!

The idiot derived the Python code for the Mini from the APC Key 25, so he could ignore the difference in matrix sizes for absolutely no good reason, and there are all sorts of easy ways to implement it. Just swap the coding from the remote scripts for Push, the APC40 and Launchpad.

Moving the matrix by track/scene serves no useful purpose whatever, except to make beginners feel like they're doing something... SHEESH! FIXIT!!!

So revealing the human element of the company didn't bring you any closer to empathizing with their position? :lol: Nobody really needs to be fired do they :lol: :roll: A real revelation for me just in terms of how folks can get it together enough to meet the demands of today's artists.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Buleriachk wrote:That's all well and good, and they seem like earnest young men and woman, but the idiot that set the specs for the APC Mini and APC Key 25 w.r.t. ignoring Session Overview (so one can't change banks) should be fired. FIRED!!!

The APC isn't designed by them, it's designed for their software, but not by them. AKAI are responsible for the shipping product there. Push on the other hand is their baby, designed by AKAI in hardware only.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:38 am

SOMEBODY screwed it up, and if the foo shits......

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:40 am

It's time to get "Vocoder" on this video.

Stuff we see, and probably will not be in L10, but whatever. Lets look...
  • Arrangement templates
  • Adaptive tuner in the Simpler, turn it on and off!, play two notes on the same MIDI track! (what?)
  • Amaury slightly greyer
  • filmed 21st october 2014
  • "quick looper"
  • play multiple clips in a track
  • play multiple scenes
  • mutex clips in different tracks
  • graph based follow actions
  • +circle, -square
  • 100% QML audio synthesis
  • title & graphic : Inline editing (Christian & Matthias)
  • Image (7:51) a mixer is embedded in a new pane on the arrangment page.
  • title "simple alternative visualisations of sound"
  • (8:17) men point at a screen showing distinct clip regions with coloured backgrounds. Possibly arrangement, possibly not.
  • (8:57) a wave editor in a pop-out window, quite likely in Max
  • 9:07 pissing about with polyphonic realtime FFT pitch analysis, and visualisation.
  • 9:26 Amo gives great French Face
  • 9:30 CEO and his scarf make an appearance, they contemplate a red square which is the new "Live Minimal"
  • A tuner. which those on the Beta will be familiar with. It's good.
  • 10:33 visualisations of sound again. Seems to be a trend.
  • dude from google talking about Web audio processing?
  • 12:34 Ralf has a 3d printer in his room, of course.
  • A secret project(s)!
so there you go. Expect / demand everything on that list for L10

login

Post by login » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 am

Wowo you catched all that.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:08 am

Seems like more of a PR move to get people past the Live 8 stability fiasco than anything.

Basically what I got from this video is that "yeah, we fucked up w a buggy Live 8, we were unorganized, now we are organized, trust us and forget about that whole Live 8 stability debacle..... oh, and buy a Push or 2 ( definitely looked like they tried to get a push in every shot possible )

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:18 am

Michael Hatsis wrote:Seems like more of a PR move to get people past the Live 8 stability fiasco than anything.

Basically what I got from this video is that "yeah, we fucked up w a buggy Live 8, we were unorganized, now we are organized, trust us and forget about that whole Live 8 stability debacle..... oh, and buy a Push or 2 ( definitely looked like they tried to get a push in every shot possible )
Nah, this is certainly to attract technical staff to Ableton. The focus is on it being a modern environment where you can pitch crazy ideas, see them incorporated in the main product. It tells you that Ableton use all the ways of working you would be comfortable with, as a modern coder. The talk of the "great code audit of 2010" is not for customers, but to reassure potential employees that they arent entering a legacy bound hellhole.

If this was for customers there would be high contrast jump-zoom/ pull-focus footage of DJ jazzy Fr3$4H saying how dope the factory loops are, then some footage of him waving his hands and rocking the kindergarten. Marketing teams love that shit. A guy with headphones on is pointing at a blurry crowd, pullfocus on an enraptured chick dancing in slowmo.

This video features beards. Linux beards.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:29 am

Angstrom wrote:
Michael Hatsis wrote:Seems like more of a PR move to get people past the Live 8 stability fiasco than anything.

Nah, this is certainly to attract technical staff to Ableton. The focus is on it being a modern environment where you can pitch crazy ideas, see them incorporated in the main product, but they use all the ways of working you would be comfortable with. The talk of the "great code audit of 2010" is not for customers, but to reassure potential employees that they arent entering a legacy bound hellhole.

If this was for customers there would be high contrast jump-zoom/ pull-focus footage of DJ jazzy Fr3$4H saying how dope the factory loops are, then some footage of him waving his hands and rocking the kindergarten. They pitch the product at easilly dazzled 12 year olds .
haha about jazzy Fr3$4H.
I see your point, what I wrote is the first thing that came to mind tho while watching the video as there was alot of referencing Live 8. also, elsewhere, forums and irl, lots of people still talk about Live's stability which was pretty much unheard of before Live 8 ( i never had any issues w 8 till they added mfl in there ).
These days, for most people, except myself, Live is pretty stable ( not counting MFL ) and people still talk about that it is unstable compared to other daws....dunno