Ableton Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mholloway

Re: Ableton Live 10

Post by mholloway » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:18 pm

What I Want:

- Upgrade Sampler and give it full time-stretch functionality. Make the sample mapping screen bigger, easier to read.

- Improve the relationship between session and arrangement, including the possibility of "ripping off" bitwig (lol) and creating an optional, inverted view of the Session View that appears on the same screen as the arrangement, lined up (see Bitwig). Create faster ways to make specific scenes get copied over to the Arrangement at a determined location.

- make Automation envelopes snap to the grid, with definable grid options. Seriously, how does this still not exist???
make the Volume and Pan automation snap horizontally to Zero (see adobe audition clip envelopes; very useful and natural feeling)

- Some nifty new FX couldn't hurt... I'd like to see a Beat Repeat on Steroids, with increased programming options and a 'glitch' style step sequencer built in.

What I DON"T Want (though apparently some of you dorks do):

- Dumb tools that make performing music "easy" -- e.g. Chord pads like cubase, loop libraries, phrase-based samples, 'advanced' (e.g. it does more, you do less) Arps and Chord playback e.g. what NI is doing with Maschine these days.

And yet, I fear, the latter group is precisely what we'll see more and more of....God forbid any new music makers actually learn anything about music. /grumpyoldman
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

VT2

Post by VT2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 pm

- Add some prefences for GUI fonts customization (for decrease fat\bold type)

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:03 pm

mholloway wrote:make Automation envelopes snap to the grid, with definable grid options. Seriously, how does this still not exist???
make the Volume and Pan automation snap horizontally to Zero (see adobe audition clip envelopes; very useful and natural feeling)
Yes!

jasper

Post by jasper » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:04 pm

- Bounce in place (render any clip to audio, as opposed to Freezing).
- editing more than one midi part at one time (even though we cannot now Select non-adjacent clips).
- Selecting clips that are not next to each other

Xyrotec

Post by Xyrotec » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:24 am

I think there should be more dubstep and trap related samples, THANKS!

nonanon

Post by nonanon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:38 am

Scale up the preferences dialog box with the rest of the zoomed GI.

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:01 am

sandboxing for the (at least for the m4live) devices as is in BWS pls :roll: and "Edit multiple midi-clips, both notes and automation." and some more mouse wheel based action especially the vertical zooming in the arrangement view is missing for me

name based clip aliases also would be nice(so ghost,linked,shared etc.) clips

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:51 am

I'm firmly in the Live is a performance Sampler on steroids camp.
At least that's what it started out being, now it's a simple DAW as well, and every year everyone asks for more DAW features.

I would like more Automap and MainStage style features, easier ways to actually play live with songs, not just a sort of DJ style set.

I would like Live to stop trying to be a full fledged DAW, which of course in some respects it never will be, and see Ableton concentrate on making it able to run live shows without a hitch, no waiting for the next Set to load, no bugs, and proper switching of instruments in Racks.
Say for instance you want to use Live with a guitar, how on earth do you change presets? <<--- seriously how can they think this is acceptable? I mean sure most of us who've done this for a while have Amplitube or Guitar Rig etc. so it's not an issue, but Live's built in solutions are so vastly inferior when it comes to.... live performance, that it's just weird? Do they really think everyone is making a long single ambient techno piece in Live using a laptop and Push?

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:05 am

Machinesworking wrote:I'm firmly in the Live is a performance Sampler on steroids camp.
At least that's what it started out being, now it's a simple DAW as well, and every year everyone asks for more DAW features.

I would like more Automap and MainStage style features, easier ways to actually play live with songs, not just a sort of DJ style set.

I would like Live to stop trying to be a full fledged DAW, which of course in some respects it never will be, and see Ableton concentrate on making it able to run live shows without a hitch, no waiting for the next Set to load, no bugs, and proper switching of instruments in Racks.
Say for instance you want to use Live with a guitar, how on earth do you change presets? <<--- seriously how can they think this is acceptable? I mean sure most of us who've done this for a while have Amplitube or Guitar Rig etc. so it's not an issue, but Live's built in solutions are so vastly inferior when it comes to.... live performance, that it's just weird? Do they really think everyone is making a long single ambient techno piece in Live using a laptop and Push?

Whilst a lot of people use it in Live situations, I think we can all agree that the vast majority of users are production focussed. Getting ideas down quickly, experimenting with different ideas / jamming, and then being able to produce it into a finished product.

I'd love to see even more live performance features, that would be great! But we can't forget what most people use the tool for. Additions to both sides are welcome!

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:45 am

I think it´s definetely time for a tape-delay plugin. Such a standart tool and still not there in Live 9.

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:23 pm

mr.adl wrote:I think it´s definetely time for a tape-delay plugin. Such a standart tool and still not there in Live 9.
That's covered with Dub Machines. Ok you need m4live for that but Dub Machines are worth it!! Trust me they are that good..

login

Post by login » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:43 pm

stevemac wrote:
Whilst a lot of people use it in Live situations, I think we can all agree that the vast majority of users are production focussed. Getting ideas down quickly, experimenting with different ideas / jamming, and then being able to produce it into a finished product.

I'd love to see even more live performance features, that would be great! But we can't forget what most people use the tool for. Additions to both sides are welcome!
Dont think so, there are many artist that produce on other DAWs but use Live to perform, that is pretty much a market Live has a monopoly (bitwig could catch in time). So i think Ableton would like to conserve their dominance in that field first as they have far mroe competition in the production side.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 am

login wrote:
stevemac wrote:

Dont think so, there are many artist that produce on other DAWs but use Live to perform, that is pretty much a market Live has a monopoly (bitwig could catch in time). So i think Ableton would like to conserve their dominance in that field first as they have far mroe competition in the production side.
I don't argue that a lot of people use it live and use something else as a DAW, but the vast, vast majority of Ableton users are production focussed primarily.

Many people find the (originally) live focused functionality is actually a brilliant sketch pad and track starter. I don't mean this as derogatory in any way, but I think you're wrong when thinking live performance is the primary use for most users.

As a company, you have to offer the users what they want and like me, even better DAW capability is key.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:42 am

What would make me buy Live 10?! Hm :?

-More efficient use of CPU for unused VSTs:
Seriously my i7 MBPro is showing over 50% of CPU use when I don't even run the transport 8O
And even assigning the on/off of the device to a chain selector macro doesn't remedy that sufficiently

-Better stability
So many random crashes it's not even funny. At least once a day :x

- Please don't give me spinning beach balls galore for 5-30 sec each time I click on another track/chain, load a device, stop recording, save etc. I sometimes feel in Live like the "good" old days of the 90s have not ended yet and I'm still on an iBook G3 :x

-Give me decent modulation options without M4L
They don't need to do a full Bitwig in this regard (though it certainly wouldn't hurt), but a better NATIVE LFO, EnvelopeGenerator, StepSequencer etc. is the least they need to do

That's the essentials!
--------------------------------------------

What would be great to have:

Give me Sampler on Steroids during its first day of a Meth binge 8O

1: Timestretch, obviously! (I mean how is that not implemented after all these years :x )
2: loop controls acessible to the API (Midi assignable)
infact, I want each and every parameter in Sampler to be Midi assignable
3: Make Sampler sample!
For this they should merge Looper with Sampler
-I should be easily able to record the next sample into the next Sample tab spot, so that I can scroll through them with the SampleSelector.
-While the loop is still recording give me acess to every other parameter in Sampler to shape the recorded sample. Including the oscillator controls!
-Implement a look ahead Looper!!! (Fixed length looping with me triggering when that loop recording ends - this lets you say: Wow that was finally a great section, make THAT the loop.
- a second filter would be nice too

4: Midi tab:
The Midi assignment section needs a huge overhaul!
-I want interrupted ranges, envelopes (not just linear control, but also log, exp, quadratic and self chosen curves)
- let me enter the Midi assignments with the computer keyboard, so I don't have to have the controller connected while I work on my assignemnts.
- midi assignements to be saved with racks (seriously why was that not implemented yet?!)
-More than six control surface slots!
6: empty audio clips
-this is driving me crazy, I want to be able to simply record automation into clips on my buss tracks, without recording the audio too. I can't see how that would be difficult to implement :x
this would be very useful for 5:
5: keyboard short cut for (or assigneable as a midi control of) "Make Arrangement selection to new scene".
-also let me make a selection in arrangement between Locators (not just loop brace points) with a shortcut and let me make a new scene WHILE I'm still recording.
6: Midi controller editor for Push (on the level of quality of the one for Maschine)
7: let me work with 2 Push at the same time in a set so that they don't interfere with each other AT ALL!

If this second category gets implemented I'll pre-order on the day Live 10 is announced! 8)

-----------------------------------------------

What should be enhanced, but I don't really care all that much, because I have already bought VSTs that do this to some extend.

-The algo reverb (do I really need to explain why?!)
-I'll +1 the BeatRepeat request from above. It's nice, and was probably quite awesome when it was released, but it's dated now. Give me many different timing intervals, enhace the pitch function into preselectable arpeggios 8O, give me volume envelopes so I can tell it how the repeats come in. Seriously enhance the filter section!........

-----------------------------------------------------

What I don't want them to do:
Xyrotec wrote:I think there should be more dubstep and trap related samples, THANKS!
:x

(Seriously, unless Abletons sound design chopps reach NIs level for the Maschine libraries, don't waste any time (and by extention my money) for samples/presets that don't even serve all that well as a starting point. Others are obviously better at this, and I have no issue paying them for the sounds I want)

---------------------------------------
Sadly, I don't expect them to do any of that :(

timday

Post by timday » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:10 pm

- Full OSC functionality throughout to do crazy performance stuff with non standard controllers. Or at least an OSC to MIDI plug (is there one in M4L? Can't find it).
- Layered MIDI editing (mind you, since this isn't there already, and clearly they are aware of it, I have to assume this is deliberate to keep things simple. Generally I applaud this in Ableton but in this case it's a mistake IMHO).
- breakpoint snap to grid as mentioned above.
- some kind of autotune like plugin. I'm hoping that the new tuner will lead towards this as the pitch detection part is already taken care of.
- be able to hot swap AU factory presets, like we could in Live 8. It makes some AUs pretty much unusable that we can't.

Now. Pie in the sky time. What I would really like is some kind of development of Push that can play Ableton sets without needing a laptop. You could still create sets on a computer but could take them out for performance in a self contained instrument. Like the Korg Electribe but in reverse. No more hiding behind a MacBook screen. It would need MIDI outs to control hardware and MIDI in in case you wanted to use other controllers. I'd be prepared to pay a fair amount for this.