format of samples in Suite Library? Analysis tools ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

format of samples in Suite Library? Analysis tools ?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:21 pm

I can't analyze or convert the samples in aiff format in the Suite library. I tried in OcenAudio, Fission, VLC, Max (the audio app). All I get is noise if I can open them at all. At least OcenAudio support up to 32-bit, but seemingly not in the format Live uses. According to Live these files are 16bit and 24bit samples.

The manual does state
"Live employs lossless compression techniques to minimize the file size of Packs"
but that is in section 5.11 "Packing Projects into Packs" regarding packs for transit and backup, not installed packs. Of course, it would be smart to use lossless technologies to make the library take less space on disk. So possibly it's something like this at play here.

If you export these sounds via clips they can be opened no problem. That's a lot of work though. Anyone knows more about the format Live uses in its sample files or why they can't be opened as is?

My idea was to analyze these files externally. Are there internal tools, plug-ins or devices, you can suggest for sample and library analysis? I want data like bit-depth, highest peak, noise level and such. I see no way to put this data into Live, so I'm thinking getting this data to some kind of external storage with name references.
Make some music!

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: format of samples in Suite Library? Analysis tools ?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:55 pm

I managed to export the samples in Suite with the Consolidate command. or maybe it was crop?

at any rate the samples get copied without the stupid copyright protection.

I can then go to the actual Ableton project folder and find the sample nicely place in a folder called processed inside a folder called samples......

I grab those and organize them in an Itunes library. I can put together playlist that group samples I like and I use the columns to write info like key and BPM and such......

I use Mixed in Key and my guitar to key samples....

Hope this helps

login

Post by login » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:07 pm

yeah, the problem is that they have DRM.

the thing that I dont like is as they are they can't be sued in third party plug ins as lets say Padshop Pro.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:07 pm

login wrote:yeah, the problem is that they have DRM.

the thing that I dont like is as they are they can't be sued in third party plug ins as lets say Padshop Pro.
Ok, that figures. Native Instruments doesn't seem to have protected theirs in Battery (The patches seem protected though). At least I can use their samples in the drum racks of Live. Which is great.

You can use a few of the Live samples with exporting them. I wonder if I'm right to assume the Live license allows for removing the DRM that way and that what it prevents is redistributing the samples, in whole or in part as samples when not a part of your work. Which is pretty basic I suppose.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I managed to export the samples in Suite with the Consolidate command. or maybe it was crop?

at any rate the samples get copied without the stupid copyright protection.
interesting, thanks!
Make some music!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 pm

quite preposterous really - anyone that really wants to copy the samples will just export them from ableton as .wav - job done and post them on a file sharing site

just limiting the usefulness of the packs - the samples are not THAT good anyway