Let's talk about the new 12-inch Macbook

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kent_in_CO

Let's talk about the new 12-inch Macbook

Post by Kent_in_CO » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:21 pm

From a music-making perspective, I'm not thrilled with this device.

It's great to have a new form factor that sheds width and weight. And 8 GB standard (finally) is a smart move.

But two things concern me:

One lone Type C USD connector. Presumably we'd use that for our audio interface. That's all well and good. But what if we want to connect a USB controller? Or 2 controllers? It would be annoying to have to get a hub just to use a controller.

Actually, according to The Verge, "Existing USB accessories or USB keys won’t plug straight into the new 12-inch MacBook Air, instead you’ll need to use wireless connections to exchange files." I imagine in that case we'd need some sort of USB-to-USB C adaptor to even make use of the USB-C?

A 12-inch screen I've gotten used to using a 13-inch screen - but it's hard to imagine going smaller. That's less valuable real estate for the DAW and whatever else you're doing. True, you can always connect to an external monitor - but then what's the point of being portable?

What say you, Abletonites? I'm sure Peter Kirn will have a nice article on this shortly.

Kent // seven7hwave
Last edited by Kent_in_CO on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia

Tarekith

Re: Let's talk about the new 12-inch Macbook

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:24 pm

I like the space grey color. :)

I'll wait and see how the tech from this gets incorporated into the MBP myself, that's always been my target for music making.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:26 pm

Kent_in_CO wrote:From a music-making perspective, I'm not thrilled with this device.
Then why even bring it up?!

I don't see threads discussing Chrome books for music making either. It's pretty much the same thing.

Computer as an appliance - god I hate that trend

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Kent_in_CO wrote:From a music-making perspective, I'm not thrilled with this device.

I don't see threads discussing Chrome books for music making either. It's pretty much the same thing.

Because I wanted to hear the opinions of all you highly opinionated motherfuckers.

Wireless MIDI is an option I suppose, for the lack of connectivity.

Chromebooks and this machine are vastly different in terms of specs. Not to mention you can't run your typical DAW on a Chromebook. People will make music with this new computer - it's just a matter of how good the experience will be.

On the other hand, they did update the 13-inch retina macbook. That seems like the more serviceable option for production at the moment.

Kent // seven7hwave
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:02 pm

I’m going to watch the keynote later, but musically speaking for me this makes the 11” MBA seem like a more attractive option to use with Traktor.

login

Post by login » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:09 pm

very weak processor, this seems for bussiness men who need a lot of portability: 9 hours battery power, 900 grams.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:21 pm

Kent_in_CO wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

Because I wanted to hear the opinions of all you highly opinionated motherfuckers.
:lol:

you came to the right place then :P

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Heh yes I did. I'm just counting down the minutes 'till this descends into a Mac vs. PC fanboy deathmatch.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Isn't it a MacBook vs a MacBook Pro? As in this is the new MacBook not Pro. When they come out with the new MacBook Pro that'll be a different story I'm guessing.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The next update to the Pro will hopefully have something beyond the usual incremental spec upgrades.

Aaand here's Peter with the inevitable CDM post: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/03/c ... -word-pro/

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 am

"Because I wanted to hear the opinions of all you highly opinionated motherfuckers."

In that case, F&%$ APPLE!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Schmidi wrote:"Because I wanted to hear the opinions of all you highly opinionated motherfuckers."

In that case, F&%$ APPLE!
You only say that because you're from Seattle... where Microsoft lives, and they poison the water with Microsoft juice. :P :lol:

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Of course, and by that same reasoning I trust that your computer is made of weed :)

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Schmidi wrote:Of course, and by that same reasoning I trust that your computer is made of weed :)
Of course it is :mrgreen:

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Lol, I guess with my geography mine could be weed based as well!