Apple Watch

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Apple Watch - will it succeed?

Smart Watches are the next big thing and Apple has revolutionized the concept again
6%
Smart watches are the next big thing, but Apples device fails
12%
Smart watches are a fad, but Apple will turn it into a next big thing
6%
meh
47%
Tacos are the next big thing. Give me 350 USD worth of Tacos NOW!
29%

Total votes: 17

TomViolenz

Apple Watch

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:26 am

So that Apple watch has been released, starting at 349 USD 8O

I for one, don't see why this is even a thing and certainly not a "half the price of an iPhone" thing.

Was anyone here clamoring to finally be able to wear a watch again, after mobile phones had made them mostly obsolete (except as a fashion item)?

And even if, why that watch (or any of the other smart watches), which needs to be recharged daily and needs a tethered iPhone to do anything more than a regular watch would?

I could see a 50 or max. 100 bucks iPhone companion and an importance for Apple like the Apple TV has in its line-up (a hobby according to Jobs). But 350 and a media blitz that feels like the release of the first iPhone or iPad? :?

Until now I always had the feeling that a new Apple product would succeed in the market, but here I'm at a loss. Did Apple finaly misread the market and jump the shark?! Would Jobs have realeased an iWatch?

What do you guys think?

beats me

Re: Apple Watch

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 am

I'm not completely sold, but if people aren't "getting it" then they are probably in that black hole age between 35 - 55 that is completely unaware of the popularity of health and fitness trackers.

People under 35 think everything is a competition that needs to be tracked, analyzed, and when possible take a picture of. Fitness trackers lend perfectly to this mentality when you can make it a competition with yourself or everybody you know. And if it helps people to be more healthy then that isn't a bad thing.

Over 55 when your body starts falling apart its going to be invaluable to track your vitals 24/7 that also gives feedback as well as instant connection to doctors. I'm sure within a year of release we'll be hearing how some Apple Watch tech literally saved lives.

So people who are just looking at it going "Oh wow, I get an animated Mickey watch with text notifications" are missing the real benefits.

jrhillma

Post by jrhillma » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm in that "black hole" range, and I do get it. I've had a Fitbit device of one model or another since they first launched (my last, the fourth device of theirs I've had, died last week). In looking at replacements, I'm leaning heavily towards a G Watch R. That means I'll have to switch from an iPhone to an Android device, though.

The Apple Watch does not interest me. Design-wise, it's pedestrian in my view. It looks like an iPod Nano with a band slapped on it, albeit with more rounded lines. The LG offering more closely resembles my tried-and-true, well-loved Omega Seamaster Pro (the original Bond model with the skeleton hands).

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm not saying I don't see how it couldn't be useful at all, and of course Apple products always have a price premium. But 350 Dollars (for the absolute base model)?! 8O This seems totally disconnected from reality to me.

On the other hand, I could even see that price as workable, if the Apple watch could do all the things it does without needing an iPhone at all!
A bare bones smart phone (with a blue tooth headset) on your wrist, in that rather slim form factor I could really see as the "Next big thing".

But as it is, a fitbit would do nicely and is asfaik much more reasonably priced.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:03 pm

TomViolenz wrote:But 350 Dollars (for the absolute base model)?! 8O This seems totally disconnected from reality to me.

On top of that the cheapest band is $50. The next one up is $150 and it goes up from there. :x But like anything you pay a premium for its all about what you get out of it. And comparatively there are people out there who will drop 10k+ on a dumb watch just because it will keep accurate time for the next 3,000 years. So there's that.

Even more so than somebody banging out their masterpiece on a MBP at the coffee shop or somebody publicly using their iPhone to, I don’t know, make a phone call, I think the Apple Watch is going to receive some serious “check out the elitist snob” pointing ridicule for a while. :x

But since it was rumored that Apple was working on a watch and competitors start rushing something to market as a response I have been noticing a lot more people wearing smart watches. So who knows.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:21 pm

But expensive old school watches like Patek Philippe etc. are pieces of art of engineering that you give to your children and grand children and give to friends to smuggle out of Vietnam in their anuses, so that the son gets it when you die. :mrgreen:
While that thing will be obsolete in a year or two (at the latest when the battery doesn't hold any charge anymore) and be replaced by the next "New Shiny" TM
Seriously, could you see this Pulp Fiction scene with an Apple watch as the theme instead? It wouldn't be merely hilarious, it would be ridiculous!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 pm

A Rolex isn’t going to keep in constant contact with your doctor with vital signs so they can text you to take your meds or pick out a casket. That’s what you are paying for.

But anybody who buys the 10k Apple Watch is an idiot of the highest order because that will be lacking in features or obsolete in a couple years.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:42 pm

beats me wrote: But anybody who buys the 10k Apple Watch is an idiot of the highest order because that will be lacking in features or obsolete in a couple years.
I'm sure the rich idiot demographic hungering for Apple brand shininess is not soooo small. Think of all the Saudies and Chinese and East European Oligarchs (and their spoiled brats) :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Truth. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 pm

I could see a 50 or max. 100 bucks iPhone companion
Apple already sells one of those... it's commonly refered to as "iPhone case"

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:16 pm

beats me wrote:I'm not completely sold, but if people aren't "getting it" then they are probably in that black hole age between 35 - 55 that is completely unaware of the popularity of health and fitness trackers.

So people who are just looking at it going "Oh wow, I get an animated Mickey watch with text notifications" are missing the real benefits.
For a slightly more skeptical view see

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/10/6128193/wi ... technology

The article argues that those benefits appear to be mostly hype. Only a small number of people are actually going to use it; for the rest it is likely to be an expensive, soon-irrelevant novelty.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:18 pm

H20nly wrote:
I could see a 50 or max. 100 bucks iPhone companion
Apple already sells one of those... it's commonly refered to as "iPhone case"

H2, you’re in medical. Here’s a doctor/patient conversation I predict will happen in a year or two.

“It’s imperative you monitor your [insert whatever the fuck here]. You have a couple options. You can get this box that’s roughly the size and weight of a closet safe that costs $3,000 of which your insurance will generously cover $200. Or you can get an Apple Watch. Your choice.”

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:31 pm

re:dream wrote:
beats me wrote:I'm not completely sold, but if people aren't "getting it" then they are probably in that black hole age between 35 - 55 that is completely unaware of the popularity of health and fitness trackers.

For a slightly more skeptical view see

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/10/6128193/wi ... technology

The article argues that those benefits appear to be mostly hype. Only a small number of people are actually going to use it; for the rest it is likely to be an expensive, soon-irrelevant novelty.

So basically they are saying this is the wearable version of the gym membership that stops getting used 2 months after New Years. :lol:

The advantage the Apple Watch has over other fitness trackers is it does a lot more than just that, albeit a little gimmicky for now. But yeah, a wearable that just tells you how many steps and miles you went in a given time period does get boring fast if you aren’t already fitness driven. People aren’t going to stop using the Apple Watch just because they are no longer lying to themselves that they training for a marathon.

But also this is a first gen device. The tech will improve along with usage, and it took me a while to realize this, but there is massive amounts of money to be made in the health industry. Apple could come into ungodly amounts of money with this technology. Again. 8O

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Hmm. We will see. I predicted the demise of the Ipad when it first came out, so I clearly I am a poor judge of this.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 pm

It’s all good. My first gen iPod (hand me down) sat in a drawer forever because I didn’t get it. :lol:

I think I am trying to convince myself to get an Apple Watch in this thread. :lol: :x