Make Push remember scales settings?

Discuss Push with other users.
bengtfalke

Make Push remember scales settings?

Post by bengtfalke » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 am

Most settings in a song like tempo Push picks up when I load an old song. But the scale setting used in the tracks/clips I have to reset every time I start Push.
Is there a way to make Push remember settings like scales too? If not then maybe it is possible to use a M4L-device where those settings can be stored and recalled on a track basis?
Regards/Bengt

re:dream

Re: Make Push remember scales settings?

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Install Clyphx. It allows you to capture the current scale setting in a set; it also allows you to set a different default scale setting. And it is free.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:05 pm

^This

and when you install clyphx you also install Macrobat.
Check out the extra manual for that in the download.

There is something called a "nk SCL" rack in Macrobat, which makes handling these scale and root note settings much more convenient. Since these are now settings on the first two macros of that rack you can now save different settings with automations in your clips.

bengtfalke

Post by bengtfalke » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:54 am

Thank you for you replies!
I think have installed Clyphx and Macrobat by just copying the Clyphx folder. As I understand it there is no separate installation of Macrobat. After settting up Clyphx as a control surface in the preferences I get the blue border of the selected clip indicating that Clyphx and Macrobat is installed correctly.
I have read the manuals and I am impressed with all the work that has been put into the writing of these tools. However I feel a bit stupid not understanding how to use them for the purpose I am after.... ;o)

This is how I understand it, please correct me and hint me further.

On one of my tracks I create a rack with the name NK SCL (I suppose that loads the scripts?)
Does this script record the scale settings on the Push? How do I make the script register the scale and root settings?

Post by re:dream » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:02 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=201108
To 'capture' the keythat Push is currently in

- create a clip called [] PUSH SCL
- When Push is in the desired key, trigger the clip.
- The Clip will now be renamed to reflect the correct scale e.g. "[] Push SCL 10 1 27 False True scale_p4_vertical"
- When you load the set, trigger the clip and Push will be in the corrrect key

To set the default scale for Push

- Go to the ClyphX Midi Remote Script folder
- Find the file called UserSettings. Make a copy and save it, just for safety's sake
- In the file, find the heading called EXTRA PREFS
- Find the STARTUP_ACTIONS command.
- Replace the Text "Off" with your desired scale command - e.g. PUSH SCL TYPE MINOR
- When you open Live, Push scale will default to your desired choice

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:09 pm

I used to want this as well but after spending a considerable time with Push and exploring the possibilities I like the fact that it’s not implemented now.

Scales on Push aren’t meant as a 1 Set = 1 Scale thing. You’re supposed to experiment with different, more or less compatible scales within the same set and you can easily change scales on the fly with a couple button presses. At the very least, you should alternate between diatonic and chromatic mode in order to be able to play some accidentals from time to time. Rigidly following the notes in a scale from start to finish gets boring pretty fast.

I see Scales on Push more like a performance feature. A dynamic playing assistant. Not as a project-bound thing set in stone the moment you create the project.

Besides, you can just include the key of your song in the project name and select it again in literally two seconds or actually learn to listen to your music and train your musical ear by figuring it out yourself. :lol:

bengtfalke

Post by bengtfalke » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Thank you BoddAH for a interesting reply... and I do agree with you.
My songs are always a mixture of synth instruments and more traditional often acoustic ones like dulcimer, irish bouzouki, citter or just guitar.
I tend to work on a song for a couple of weeks and suddenly a new phrase comes into mind that I would like to add and I think it is nice to be able to add that as quickly as possible. Since I started to use Push about a month ago I find it a bit annoying to have to look up the scale and set it before starting to play. But that will probably go away after a while when I am more comfortable, as you write.

Your tip about including the scale in the name of the song while I am working on it, is a really simple and smart suggestion. Thank you!
I will try both these ways and see what I like the most.
Regards!

Post by re:dream » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:36 pm

@boddah: the clyphx functionality is very much in line with what you are talking about. rather than hardwire a set to a specific scale, it allows you to assign scales by launching clips. Then you don't even have to press the buttons. Or put the scale in your title. It's captured for you by the clyphx script.'

But each to their own: if you don't want to use clyphx, you don't have to. And I agree that the current situation allows maximum flexibility.

ecthroi

Post by ecthroi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:11 pm

I've just taken to naming one of my first clips with a brief description of the scale, "F minor" or whatever. It's not more than about 5-10 seconds to reload that scale, and doesn't seem to be that much worse than the ClyphX way of doing it.

Definitely something I was hoping they'd have taken care of with 9.2 upgrade, but I guess we can't have everything. ;)

Abel's tone

Post by Abel's tone » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi there guys thanks for the replies in this thread so far

Is there an easy way to change the scale settings so that they only apply to specific tracks in a project?
Like Boddah mentioned, I tend to have different scale settings for different instruments - some in key, some chromatic, and my BFD kits are keymapped in C major, so I need to keep that BFD instrument track in Cmajor no matter what else is happening harmmonically in the project.

My problem is that if I change say my bass instrument to D minor, this change applies to all other tracks in the project as well. Will ClyphX be the easiest way to avert this?

Many thanks

-Jon

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:13 am

you need to trigger a clip @the channel you want to play
then push jumps into that predefinied scale for all channels
until you tigger another scale-change clip.

i hope they implement such user-commands into the scene-launch,
like the BPM command. then i could launching scenes via apc
change the modes of the connected controller (push into notemode @channel 6, scale X, rpt16, 16 bar, next scene)

Harry1

Post by Harry1 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:45 am

I strongly hope that the smart Ableton programmers find a solution for this.

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:50 am

Here ya go, I did this about a year ago, it uses Clyphx...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7u5LFF4wuM