Let's talk about the new 12-inch Macbook

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Re: Let's talk about the new 12-inch Macbook

Post by re:dream » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 am

BoddAH wrote:
re:dream wrote:And its target market (I am imagining my girlfriend's 13 year old, for example) would have no complaints whatsoever.
They would probably complain about the 480p FaceTime camera.

That’s just SO 2005. :lol:

Could be. I have heard that these devices contain cameras.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Are there PC equivalents to this “I must have this sexy machine regardless of the fact that it doesn’t really meet my functional needs”?

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:20 pm

beats me wrote:Are there PC equivalents to this “I must have this sexy machine regardless of the fact that it doesn’t really meet my functional needs”?
Only idiots would buy this one to make music. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad computer.

It certainly has its uses. If you just need a laptop that is as light as possible and fits in any bag for web browsing, multimedia and office work, the new MacBook is amazing. It’s the kind of laptop businessmen or CEOs would use for emails and long transatlantic flights. You can charge it on any USB port (not just wall socket), probably even extend its already long charge with a USB battery pack and it is perfect for what it does.

Sony (with the Z series) and many other brands have (or in the case of Sony had) similar, ultraportable and expensive models that serve just the same purpose. And just like here they would be a stupid choice for music producers.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:24 pm

BoddAH wrote: It certainly has its uses. If you just need a laptop that is as light as possible and fits in any bag for web browsing, multimedia and office work, the new MacBook is amazing. It’s the kind of laptop businessmen or CEOs would use for emails and long transatlantic flights. You can charge it on any USB port (not just wall socket), probably even extend its already long charge with a USB battery pack and it is perfect for what it does.

Don’t the Macbook Airs already fill this need? Or they could just add whatever new tech is in the new Macbook to the Air lineup. Again, the Macbook isn’t cheap. I’m not going to do a spec to spec comparison, but

11” Macbook Air starting price $900
13" Macbook Air starting price $1,000
12” Macbook starting price $1,300

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:55 pm

beats me wrote:
BoddAH wrote: It certainly has its uses. If you just need a laptop that is as light as possible and fits in any bag for web browsing, multimedia and office work, the new MacBook is amazing. It’s the kind of laptop businessmen or CEOs would use for emails and long transatlantic flights. You can charge it on any USB port (not just wall socket), probably even extend its already long charge with a USB battery pack and it is perfect for what it does.

Don’t the Macbook Airs already fill this need? Or they could just add whatever new tech is in the new Macbook to the Air lineup. Again, the Macbook isn’t cheap. I’m not going to do a spec to spec comparison, but

The MacBook Air has a much lower resolution and overall inferior screen, a much bigger bezel and none of the new features like ForcePad, etc. which some people might want.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:08 pm

BoddAH wrote:
beats me wrote:

The MacBook Air has a much lower resolution and overall inferior screen, a much bigger bezel and none of the new features like ForcePad, etc. which some people might want.

True but they could have put that tech into the Airs instead of making a whole new computer that has its own set of downsides.

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Yes I totally don't get this product. If you need power, for the same price you can get a 13" macbook pro with retina display, if you need portability, for the same price you can get a 13" air with higher overall performance or for light tasks just buy an iPad with add-on keyboard.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:46 pm

It comes in gold. They'll sell millions on that fact alone I bet.

Post by re:dream » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:27 pm

Tim. He's gonna lead this company into a deep, twisty, unprofitable rabbit hole.

alexandermon

Post by alexandermon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:29 pm

I bought the 2015 13" MBP, and while it is pretty great, I think I'd be happier if it could run Max 4 Live...

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 pm

alexandermon wrote:I bought the 2015 13" MBP, and while it is pretty great, I think I'd be happier if it could run Max 4 Live...
I have a 2012 that can run Max for Live...
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 am

My 2009 MBP does fine with M4L. It can't run many instances of heavy devices like Convolution pro and really struggles with Darksynth/Dub Machines, but it handles lighter devices well

Stars and Skylines

Post by Stars and Skylines » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Kent_in_CO wrote:From a music-making perspective, I'm not thrilled with this device.

It's great to have a new form factor that sheds width and weight. And 8 GB standard (finally) is a smart move.

But two things concern me:

One lone Type C USD connector. Presumably we'd use that for our audio interface. That's all well and good. But what if we want to connect a USB controller? Or 2 controllers? It would be annoying to have to get a hub just to use a controller.

Actually, according to The Verge, "Existing USB accessories or USB keys won’t plug straight into the new 12-inch MacBook Air, instead you’ll need to use wireless connections to exchange files." I imagine in that case we'd need some sort of USB-to-USB C adaptor to even make use of the USB-C?

A 12-inch screen I've gotten used to using a 13-inch screen - but it's hard to imagine going smaller. That's less valuable real estate for the DAW and whatever else you're doing. True, you can always connect to an external monitor - but then what's the point of being portable?

What say you, Abletonites? I'm sure Peter Kirn will have a nice article on this shortly.

Kent // seven7hwave
I'm super curios as to how this Macbook does for anything myself.

Obviously the answer from everyone I've inquired is "don't get this low powered $hit" :D . I however I'm still allured by the portability of it. Not for the sake of my heavy work load my stationary is perfectly fine for this.

I've looked up the perfect interface by M-Audio ( Quad ) which ironically has a built in USB hub to the back end... SOOO that solves the controller and external HD situation dead on, you'd only need the Apple connecter to access usb from the Macbook. Apart from that, this Macbook is supposed to be able to change while on USB, just as a iPad, so it doesn't seem like worrying about a full charge is a real issue either.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:36 am

this is news to me. why they would make something this small is beyond me tbh. to me, having to use a 13 inch anything is already way too little space.