The Evolution of The MacBook ... What's Next and When?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
starving student

The Evolution of The MacBook ... What's Next and When?

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:10 am

Anymore new releases before the end of the year, like maybe another macbook air bump etc...?
Last edited by starving student on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Re: That it for the new MacBooks this year or are we expectin?

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:50 pm

Is there a specific model you're wondering about a refresh?

As far as I know there really isn't a pattern to Apple's computer refreshes.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:21 pm

How DARE U to make an Apple related thread in the Lounge :evil:

This is Loopstations territory you are trespassing on here :x

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:38 pm

beats me wrote:Is there a specific model you're wondering about a refresh?

As far as I know there really isn't a pattern to Apple's computer refreshes.
Yep was hoping for an airbook with 16g-ram, gonna have a looksy at that link Mw posted

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm

There are more pressing matters to discuss here than MacBooks.....like "Who wants to start a band?". :mrgreen:

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 pm

:lol: I'm leading up to that Styles but you can't start a band these days without a macbook!!!

if apple doesn't come up with something else before next year then I think it's clobbering timeeeee but if there's going to be another bump before then I should probably wait.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 pm

I forgot to add my current old timer specs

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011)
1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
256 HD

i think the ram is a real bottleneck
Last edited by starving student on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Re: The Evolution of The MacBook ... What's Next and When?

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:02 pm

The 11” MBA, 13” MBA, and 13” rMBP all just got refreshed in like the last week or something. So you should be solid with any of those.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 pm

beats, just posted my specs, would you wait until next year or would buy now

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Well without doing a direct comparison on the Apple site I would hope the specs are better than the model that came out 4 years ago. I think for music 8GB of RAM should be a minimum at this point. Since they just refreshed the 11” MBA you should have no worries that they are going to bump it again anytime soon.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 pm

starving student wrote:beats, just posted my specs, would you wait until next year or would buy now
Just remember that it will need to have enough horsepower to run "Band In A Box" and optionally "nTrack" for mastering & mixing. :|

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 pm

beats me wrote:Well without doing a direct comparison on the Apple site I would hope the specs are better than the model that came out 4 years ago. I think for music 8GB of RAM should be a minimum at this point. Since they just refreshed the 11” MBA you should have no worries that they are going to bump it again anytime soon.
I know my airbook is old as fuck right, I've been augmenting it's use judiciously with hardware all of this time but I feel like Spock has been sending me messages from the other side..... upgrade.....upgrade; it's only logical

the new 13" macbook, looks rad as hell, I'd be stoked to get one of those but I love the weightlessness of my 11" and I don't want to get moded by the heaviness of the 13".

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro/

@Styles B.... as long as whatever I get can run magix music maker I'll be good, it's the logistics man, the logistics!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:09 am

starving student wrote:
the new 13" macbook, looks rad as hell, I'd be stoked to get one of those but I love the weightlessness of my 11" and I don't want to get moded by the heaviness of the 13".
This never fails to blow me away. As someone who carries 80lb buckets and 100lb machines in and out of trucks for a living I will never completely understand the emasculation of the male species that's the norm in the electronic music circuit.

Plus the new 13" macbook is a POS, it's probably no faster than what you have now considering the 'mobile' processors.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:40 am

Machinesworking wrote:
starving student wrote:
This never fails to blow me away. As someone who carries 80lb buckets and 100lb machines in and out of trucks for a living I will never completely understand the emasculation of the male species that's the norm in the electronic music circuit.

Plus the new 13" macbook is a POS, it's probably no faster than what you have now considering the 'mobile' processors.
not that macbook, the 13" macbook pro is the one I'm talking about, the retina with 2 thunderbolt ports etc..,
as far as my emasculation goes c'mon it's a macbook, that's included :lol:
seriously though it's all relevant, I used to carry around an mpc 2500 with me everywhere I went in a bag but now my macbook 11" is lighter than the bag I carry it in, I just prefer that. the new macbook pro 13 is 3.84lbs, once I add the few controllers I keep with me to the equation it's considerably less fun and on top of that the iPad sans wooden case is in the bag too.