Making Music - the book

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dennis DeSantis

Re: Making Music - the book

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:58 am

re:dream wrote:74, to be exact, I understand.

Why 74, I wonder?

Is it a Max MSP thing?
It's a coincidence. But many people have been asking this question.

Best,

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:59 am

BoddAH wrote:
re:dream wrote:74, to be exact, I understand.

Why 74, I wonder?

Is it a Max MSP thing?
I don’t know. Maybe Dennis just did the intelligent thing and wrote down everything he had to say about the subject, counted the number of tips and wrote it on the cover instead of doing it the other way around by choosing an arbitrary number and trying to come up with tips afterwards… :roll:
That's about right.

I aimed for something in the 70s, because it felt right and it fit the schedule I'd allowed myself.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:19 am

@Dennis can you give a timescale on the digital editions and when will the hard copy be back in stock? Thanks!

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:56 am

Yay I just got my shipping confirmation!

Dennis I can't wait to read this book! Any chance you can let us know how many copies have sold so far?

Keep up the great work at Ableton!

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Just got my copy yesterday and have been reading it at work today (luckily a slow day). So far it's really interesting. I've only read the first few ideas, but definitely going to try the active listening combined with list of attributes. Looking forward to the rest of the book (I'm sure it'll only take me a day or two to finish the whole thing as it's difficult to put down). 8)

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:12 pm

musikmachine wrote:@Dennis can you give a timescale on the digital editions and when will the hard copy be back in stock? Thanks!
I'm not sure about the timescale for the hard copies, although it will be "soon." The ebooks should be available in early April.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:39 pm

sorry if I missed this somewhere... does this happen to be one of those occasions where if you buy the hard copy you get the ebook as part of the purchase??

I'm hoping so... because I can't decide which I'd prefer... both have advantages.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:13 pm

H20nly wrote:sorry if I missed this somewhere... does this happen to be one of those occasions where if you buy the hard copy you get the ebook as part of the purchase??

I'm hoping so... because I can't decide which I'd prefer... both have advantages.
There's no evidence to suggest that's the case.
Unsound Designer

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:21 pm

H20nly wrote:sorry if I missed this somewhere... does this happen to be one of those occasions where if you buy the hard copy you get the ebook as part of the purchase??

We hadn't planned to do this, sorry.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:

We hadn't planned to to this, sorry.
Where's your editor? :lol:
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
Flyin' wrote: Can we expect a french translation of this book?
We haven't planned any translations so far, but it's under consideration.

Best,
I am actually a technical translator and conference interpreter working into French here in Brussels. I am working mainly for the European institutions and private clients such as Amazon and SAP. As an amateur music producer and big fan of Ableton I would be delighted to work on this translation!

Feel free to contact me via PM if you are looking for a professional translator or have any questions.

Kind regards,

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
musikmachine wrote:@Dennis can you give a timescale on the digital editions and when will the hard copy be back in stock? Thanks!
I'm not sure about the timescale for the hard copies, although it will be "soon." The ebooks should be available in early April.
Awesome thanks!

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Airyck wrote:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:

We hadn't planned to to this, sorry.
Where's your editor? :lol:
An appalling error, for sure. You're hired.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Will there be a limited edition vinyl pressing? Books on vinyl. It will be a thing. Probably spearheaded by some shit-stains in SF. :x

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Just reached the chapter that talks about "Pitch Rotation", how do you do that in Live?