Effects Send routing question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Faldoe

Effects Send routing question

Post by Faldoe » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 am

I have a default Live set specifically for looping.

I have a Main track (guitar input), Monitor set to In. I have 4 separate tracks, each with a Looper and each receiving audio from the Main track. Each track is set to Monitor In and each of the Loopers Input/Output configuration (bottom right of the Live Looper effect) is set to "Never" so my Main guitar signal is not duplicated on each of the Looping tracks. Audio is only passed through the Looper tracks when something is recorded on that track.

I have a reverb set up in the effects A track. My issue is that when I record a loop and have the Sends on the Main track up, the reverb is not picked up in the recorded loop.

I like the way the reverb mixes with my guitar signal when using the reverb in an effects send (parallel signals) versus having the reverb plugin directly in the Main guitar track.

How can I configure everything so I still have the Reverb signal parallel with the guitar but that both get recorded on each of the looper tracks?

Steve Glen

Re: Effects Send routing question

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 am

I would highly recommend this on your MAIN channel.

otherwise..... this?

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:40 pm

Hey Steve,

Thanks. I ended up trying the Audio Effects Rack method after I posted the thread and that seems to work, though I'm wondering if the sound is the same as the Effects Send method - I don't see why it would be different since both methods have the dry in parallel with the Reverb. But the Audio Effects Rack method saves space/easier to implement.

Is there a way I can cut the input to the reverb channel to allow for the reverb to trail without having to just shut the reverb off? - thus losing the trail/feedback of the reverb?

In the Effects Send method, I could just MIDI Map 'Sends A' on the Guitar track to a switch on my MIDI foot controller, thus making it be Off or On and I would get the trails of whatever I played.

How would I do this with the Main track Effects Rack Method?

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi,

no problem. You have to choose in your return track with the reverb under Audio to: not Master, choose the track with the looper - track in, thats it.

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Looper Track audio from: piano track. Piano track send to Returntrack B Cosm Pad (Reverb). In the Return track B choose Audio to: Looper and in the second menue choose track in. Then the looper will record the piano (dry) and the reverb from the returntrack. Enjoy.