Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sean_Clarke

Re: Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Post by Sean_Clarke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:00 pm

There is no ReWire support but if you want to route audio and/or MIDI between different applications (even 4-5 applications at once), you can use the JACK Audio Connection Kit, which is available for OSX, Win and Linux. http://jackaudio.org/

'Have you ever wanted to take the audio output of one piece of software and send it to another? How about taking the output of that same program and send it to two others, then record the result in the first program? Or maybe you're a programmer who writes real-time audio and music applications and who is looking for a cross-platform API that enables not only device sharing but also inter-application audio routing, and is incredibly easy to learn and use? If so, JACK may be what you've been looking for.'

Jack is free.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:There is no ReWire support but if you want to route audio and/or MIDI between different applications (even 4-5 applications at once), you can use the JACK Audio Connection Kit, which is available for OSX, Win and Linux. http://jackaudio.org/

'Have you ever wanted to take the audio output of one piece of software and send it to another? How about taking the output of that same program and send it to two others, then record the result in the first program? Or maybe you're a programmer who writes real-time audio and music applications and who is looking for a cross-platform API that enables not only device sharing but also inter-application audio routing, and is incredibly easy to learn and use? If so, JACK may be what you've been looking for.'

Jack is free.
So is Rewire, and about 1000X better than Jack. There really is no comparison. Jack does not lock transports at the measure level, it's open source and still beta for 64 bit on OSX, and even the non beta versions can be really buggy.

IMO it's a certain sort of developer level narcissism that drives this enclosed environment approach to Bigwigs lack of certain features. Say you do soundtracks for film, sure would be nice to get Bitwig to Rewire to DP, Logic, Cubase etc. Not happening because Bitwig think being able to use Jack to stream audio and beat clock is good enough...

To be fair Rewire still leaves something to be desired, certain modern DAWs can keep access to VST instruments under Rewire slave mode, but most become crippled like Live, which loses Max For Live, VST/AU hosting and Push integration under Rewire. That said, being able to get audio to lock to transport at the micro tick level is a huge advantage when you want or need the features of a dinosaur DAW.

They add in Rewire or take over development of Jack and get it to beat Rewire and I'll be interested in Bitwig, until then it's another New Kid on the Block DAW with huge holes in it's feature set related to interests of mine, Rewire, film support, SysEx etc.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Sean_Clarke wrote:There is no ReWire support but if you want to route audio and/or MIDI between different applications (even 4-5 applications at once), you can use the JACK Audio Connection Kit, which is available for OSX, Win and Linux. http://jackaudio.org/

Jack is free.
So is Rewire, and about 1000X better than Jack. There really is no comparison. Jack does not lock transports at the measure level, it's open source and still beta for 64 bit on OSX, and even the non beta versions can be really buggy.

IMO it's a certain sort of developer level narcissism that drives this enclosed environment approach to Bigwigs lack of certain features. Say you do soundtracks for film, sure would be nice to get Bitwig to Rewire to DP, Logic, Cubase etc. Not happening because Bitwig think being able to use Jack to stream audio and beat clock is good enough...

To be fair Rewire still leaves something to be desired, certain modern DAWs can keep access to VST instruments under Rewire slave mode, but most become crippled like Live, which loses Max For Live, VST/AU hosting and Push integration under Rewire. That said, being able to get audio to lock to transport at the micro tick level is a huge advantage when you want or need the features of a dinosaur DAW.

They add in Rewire or take over development of Jack and get it to beat Rewire and I'll be interested in Bitwig, until then it's another New Kid on the Block DAW with huge holes in it's feature set related to interests of mine, Rewire, film support, SysEx etc.
I was using rewire (Live 9 to Cubase 8), mainly doing backing with Live and vocal and guitar work on Cubase. I am just experimenting to see if I can use BWS to do both (without ReWire) and (other than comping missing!) it can do the job. BWS is like the bastard child of Logic and Live, if group tracks (1.2 update) does its job I may have Cubase 8 on the market... (keeping Live 9, love Max ;-) But if BWS gets that Max like modular environment going in V2...)

With all the deals on at the moment, BWS is $250 with free ACE or Bazille ... its worth the investment IMHO, even just as a modular system with class leading modulation and note expression possibilities and a ton of killer content...wont be for everyone, may not be your only DAW, but there sure is a lot of positivity on the BWS forum and a feeling of momentum.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:50 pm

I still haven't gotten any coupon to get Bazille free.
Unsound Designer

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:52 pm

stringtapper wrote:I still haven't gotten any coupon to get Bazille free.
I'm not sure how they are doing that (you just bought BitWig?) - I already owned BitWig so just logged in to my account to get the voucher code- have you logged in to your account on the BW site to see if its there?

PS- Check this out - absolutely inspirational and a great idea.... https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/artist.html

TheDZA

Post by TheDZA » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:37 am

Customizable shortcuts coming in 1.2 :x

Last edited by TheDZA on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:51 am

They've got to make the colours customisable before I will buy. For example, I'd love the orange to be a rich blue. ATM, the orange is just too irritating.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 am

Martin Gifford wrote:They've got to make the colours customisable before I will buy. For example, I'd love the orange to be a rich blue. ATM, the orange is just too irritating.
Are you sure you are a musician and not a visual artist or graphic designer?!

Because almost 100% of your posts are concerned with how the programs you use look.

Just noticing....

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:13 pm

It's interesting how much faster a small team like this can operate versus a large multinational.

I guess in a large company most of the good ideas have to go through a million meetings and groupthink, when nobody is really at the creative helm of the ship it doesn't ever sail to anywhere, instead it becomes a giant self-contained ecosystem where ideas are born and die without ever reaching outside, the ideas never get to touch land, and the ship can never decide on a single destination which suits everyone.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:52 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Martin Gifford wrote:They've got to make the colours customisable before I will buy. For example, I'd love the orange to be a rich blue. ATM, the orange is just too irritating.
Are you sure you are a musician and not a visual artist or graphic designer?!

Because almost 100% of your posts are concerned with how the programs you use look.

Just noticing....
Maybe I'm weird. It literally hurts me when I see something disharmonious. Unattractive organic things that I see occasionally are fine. But when I'm working with technology - i.e. something that is already unnatural - and it is also constantly and repetitively ugly or noisy (e.g. Serum's harsh digital sound) or jarring in any other way, then I feel stressed and deadened. It's like a feeling of strain inside.

Actually, I am weird. For example, I wrote the most revolutionary profound philosophy book ever, and everyone I sent it to ignored it. I see the Matrix everywhere all day, and it drives me nuts, and nobody notices or cares about the Matrix - too busy seeking impossible fulfilment within its agenda and constraints. Everything I say about philosophy gets instantly dismissed or ignored or argued against and I can clearly see that even my most basic ideas fly way above people's heads.

Anyway... back to Bitwig.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Bad news bro, those symptoms are familiar from several friends:
EG: It hurts when things are disharmonious, you are a self proclaimed genius, you are having great epiphanies & insights into illusory nature of reality, you write and send huge impenetrable tracts to baffled/worried friends who cant understand them or you, you have feelings of alienation and superiority.

Early stage schizophrenia.

If you start having thoughts about secret societies out to get/ stop you. Hidden messages that only you can read. Anger at idiocy of others who cant see like you can so you are forced to act, etc, etc. Go to doctor before this. At that stage you start living on the streets and become a sky shouter.
I am not joking

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:12 pm

I think it's usually sound advice not to armchair psycho analize people you only met on a forum.

And to add a little confidence boost to Martin 8)

Read with just slightly more good will, it could also be seen as the unique way to see the world that a real artist needs. But then Van Gogh cut his own ear off, so maybe being a unique artist is synonymous with being crazy :lol:

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:21 pm

oh great! i didn't know the u-he voucher was good for existing customers..... maybe I got an email? but I don't think so

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Steve Glen wrote:oh great! i didn't know the u-he voucher was good for existing customers..... maybe I got an email? but I don't think so

Don't forget to update your packs in BITWiG, there is a lot of new content and presets ;-)

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:50 am

Angstrom wrote:Bad news bro, those symptoms are familiar from several friends:
EG: It hurts when things are disharmonious, you are a self proclaimed genius, you are having great epiphanies & insights into illusory nature of reality, you write and send huge impenetrable tracts to baffled/worried friends who cant understand them or you, you have feelings of alienation and superiority.

Early stage schizophrenia.

If you start having thoughts about secret societies out to get/ stop you. Hidden messages that only you can read. Anger at idiocy of others who cant see like you can so you are forced to act, etc, etc. Go to doctor before this. At that stage you start living on the streets and become a sky shouter.
I am not joking
Damn! You mean I've been deluded all along? And the masses are right, after all? Do you know a good psychiatrist who can help me back to normality?

FWIW, here's my philosophy in one paragraph (helps if you read it slowly, i.e. stop after every sentence to contemplate the implications):

You were born into a world of delusion. Everyone around you is deluded into thinking that happiness is essentially in objects or states. In reality, happiness is our nature, given decent circumstances. However, even if we realise this, we still need to end delusion in the world because our happiness requires a decent circumstances, not deluded circumstances where people delude and harm each other unnecessarily. People generally reject the idea of fixing the world because they believe either it is against the principles of nature, or it is too hard. Those beliefs are merely tenets derived from the deluded world. They are the deluded world expressing itself through your mind. In reality, submitting to those beliefs is what stops the world being liberated from delusion. Most people want a better world. If they just stay in touch with that desire, rather than saying "But it's unnatural," or "But it's too hard," positive change will happen.

Quick, call the ambulance!