Paris Hilton 'djing'.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
yur2die4

Paris Hilton 'djing'.

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 pm

The more I think about it, the more I respect her choice to go with it.

I know she's been popping up here and there for over a year now.

There is a bit of controversy in my state as she is headlining the dj stage at Wisconsin's largest music festival 'Summerfest'. They've gone as far as to petition to have her removed.

I think that there are a lot of benefits to what she does. For one thing, she reveals a truth about musical celebritism. I think that some people are so challenged by that notion, they can't tolerate her being associated with a music festival, even if she is on a stage that they would never set foot in in the first place (so that they can go listen to their rock music or whatever).

She may not have talent in mixing, but I wouldn't doubt she has a decent taste in music, she is pretty relevant as a celebrity and in fashion. There are many dj's who's job has more to do with filling the floor and playing things that are familiar than technical mastery.

Having the balls to be up there says to people, you CAN try to do something, even if it is something you might be hated for. She sets a good example for dreamers to become doers. From a business mindset, I don't think she could ever pass the opportunity to face that head on.

Over time, she might actually develop talent. I mean, you can only stay up there for so long before you develop a method for controlling what's going on in a responsible way.

So props to Paris.
Last edited by yur2die4 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Re: Paris Hilton 'djing'.

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:21 pm

I see where you're coming from in the sense that sometimes i have moments of weaknesses in trying to have an open mind only to find later that i wished someone hit me upside the head with a baseball bat to set me straight again.
ImageImage

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:01 am

Looks like Krewella is the big news this weekend haha

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:04 am

I couldn't disagree more.

There has always been a shism between what's popular for the sake of being popular and the try to make music that's good popular. If festivals like your Summerfest, which presumably has a history in trying to catch the later artists (why else would the prospected audience have expected differently, if that weren't the case) give in to the former, that balance will shift ever further towards Idiocracy territory.

Some places must remain "alternative", otherwise kids start to think music is that gossip/celebrity soap selling shit that is so prevelant.

I also don't understand what kind of roll model Paris Hilton could be. What's the message? Have rich parents, become a celebrity and then you can be anything you want?! I think most people already understand that :x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:13 pm

They are petitioning because this is a state where classic rock, country, and radio announcers looking for shock factor reign supreme. It is simply skmethjng to get people to react and have an opinion.

The festival itself is a very casual music event with music of all kinds, and artists of varying levels of professionalism. From Britney Spears go Tom Petty, it just goes on and on.

I do agree, there ARE places and events for artists who are admired more for their ability and technique. In most cases, those events would bore the shit out of casual mainstream audiences. They need something famous to look at to feel like they are seeing or hearing something special. It sounds appalling but that is the truth. Yet they are trying to deny the truth when it gets too real for them. There are also places/events, asde from the specialized ones with what we'd call talent, which are simply smorgasbords of fashion and egos and people pretending to twist dials or push faders while riling up a crowd to predetermined arrangements of music. There is also a place for this. It is a place that those people Want to be. It is not something I'm into, but I appreciate and respect that it is what it is. This is where Paris kind of fits. Surprisingly, she Does cue up her tracks and just kind of goes with it. She couldn't mix without sync, and even her awareness of song phrasing (mostly just transitions with Sync during build ups) is meh, but she isn't backing down despite how people look at her.

The only way a person can go from a wannabe, to a doer, is by putting themselves out there. She has the resources already via reputation/fame. And I'm sure it is one more way for her to rake in the money by the hour haha. But seeing someone very average up there can give hope to whole masses of potential musicians and djs.

As for this Krewella group. Seems they had a performance at Ultra where the big buzz is that they used a Pioneer mixer plugged via a USB, and deadmau5 tweeted about it. Now everyone is flipping out because apparently deadmau5 is an authority on something er other. Maybe Krewella needs better accessories on their heads.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm

I don’t have a problem with her DJing but she’s getting the gigs she gets 100% because she is Paris Hilton and everybody knows it. It’s a freak show and isn’t inspirational to anybody who doesn’t share her privileged background.

How many of us get to publicly struggle through our skillset to a packed house from gig 1 and every gig after that?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 pm

yur2die4 wrote: But seeing someone very average up there can give hope to whole masses of potential musicians and djs.
I don't see how seeing a person with very average skills who is only "up there" because of their privileged background or connections can be inspirational to any musician in that context. What it does is exactly the opposite... young artists might think they will never have a shot because no matter how much they work at it and how good they get, if they don't have the financial background or connections, the top spots will simply go to any other "Paris Hiltons" out there.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Nah, I don't buy that. She portrays a can-do attitude. She could simply not do it. But that is not what is happening.

No, you can't necessarily expect to be a famous person in front of a massive audience, but you can grab the tools, put together a mediocre set, and entertain a few friends.

Or you can tell yourself, eh, that's not something I could do, and never even give it a try.

I see her as a somewhat decent role model in her ability to easily embrace new frontiers. Yes, she is very privileged. But she is using those tools to her advantage to explore different kinds of opportunities in her life.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Yup, of all the honorable things she's chosen to do, between helping those less fortunate than her and this teen generations dream of being a rock star, she's chosen the latter, despite having already achieved that 10 years ago. She's grown so much!

For some fairness, here's a list of contributions she's thrown money at: https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/paris-hilton

THAT'S HOT ©
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:46 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Nah, I don't buy that. She portrays a can-do attitude. She could simply not do it. But that is not what is happening.

No, you can't necessarily expect to be a famous person in front of a massive audience, but you can grab the tools, put together a mediocre set, and entertain a few friends.

Or you can tell yourself, eh, that's not something I could do, and never even give it a try.

I see her as a somewhat decent role model in her ability to easily embrace new frontiers. Yes, she is very privileged. But she is using those tools to her advantage to explore different kinds of opportunities in her life.
What mental gymnastics your hormones are putting you through....That can't be healthy :mrgreen:

Let's put it that way: She probably went to a Hawtins gig at the crib of some oligarch and thought to herself: Hey I want the people to not only fawn over me from afar, I want them to yell in stupid excitement waving their hands looking up at me in the thousands. If that geeky douche can do it, it can't be that difficult! And she was right of course, it ain't ;-)

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Kim Kardashian could decide she is a DJ this morning and she could book a sold out gig in Las Vegas tomorrow night. FACT.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 pm

I think you're giving her to much credit. You don't need to experience a live Dj event to want to be a dj, it just became the stock 'rock star' verb of the almost last generation.

The last Night at the Museum flick is a good example.
What does the teenage son want to do with his future?
He doesn't know, so he wants to be a dj in Ibiza. And hey it's totally understandable, you don't know if you can do it if you don't try.

I'm just wondering if yur is trolling or trying to justify paris so as to not be a hater or feel limped in with old farts. Srsly though, she's got plenty of options. Dj'ing isn't exactly the mpst mature or noble one she coyld take. It's the easy one ehere the payoff besides making people dance is the attention and god-like status for the remainder of tje set. Noble indeed.
ImageImage

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:58 pm

beats me wrote:Kim Kardashian could decide she is a DJ this morning and she could book a sold out gig in Las Vegas tomorrow night. FACT.
And that's would show just how dumb and lost our culture has become.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:18 pm

shadx312 wrote:
beats me wrote:Kim Kardashian could decide she is a DJ this morning and she could book a sold out gig in Las Vegas tomorrow night. FACT.
And that's would show just how dumb and lost our culture has become.

You wouldn’t feel sympathy and admiration for the day long road she would have to travel from waking up and deciding she is a DJ to booking a sold out gig? And just think of the zero talent expectations the crowd would have and how she would have to meet those zero talent expectations. Much respect for the bravery that would take.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Celebrity guest DJs don't bother me. These people do not get paid to DJ, they get paid for publicity and to get heads through the door. Nobody who knows anything about DJing takes them seriously as a talent so there is really no point to get worked up about it.

Hey, at least we have a worldwide culture that actually gives a shit about DJs now. Once the fire dies down these props will be gone and a whole new demographic of dance music fans will remain.