Automap style control of soft synths using Sub Phatty

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stevemac

Automap style control of soft synths using Sub Phatty

Post by stevemac » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi guys,

I've had a good search around and can't see anything that answers this - hope you can help.

I want to use my Sub Phatty to control some common parameters of other favourite soft synths. It has MIDI capability and lovely design / layout, so it's perfect.

Specifically, I do not want to use cmd+m and hard map certain controls of a single plugin instance - I want to be able to hop from synth to synth and know that, for instance, the filter cut off is still the same knob.

I know you can do this with something like Automap or alike, but I don't have any experience of this and was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to do it / if it's possible??

Thanks!
Last edited by stevemac on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

login

Re: Automap style control of soft synths using Sub Phatty

Post by login » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Many software synths feature Midi learn, you do it once only and any instance you add will be mapped.

Consult the synth manual to see if there is a midi learn function.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 am

login wrote:Many software synths feature Midi learn, you do it once only and any instance you add will be mapped.

But doesn't this hard map those controls (one one instance) to that knob?

login

Post by login » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:49 pm

stevemac wrote:
login wrote:Many software synths feature Midi learn, you do it once only and any instance you add will be mapped.

No, it hard maps it to the plug in, so every instance you open it will be mapped.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:59 pm

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:18 pm

login wrote: No, it hard maps it to the plug in, so every instance you open it will be mapped.
Excellent :)
That's about bluehand dude, different thing! Cheers though

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:26 pm

login wrote:
stevemac wrote:

No, it hard maps it to the plug in, so every instance you open it will be mapped.

OK, here's a question then: does this work with Ableton's native devices? Like, I'd LOVE to buy a Novation Zero and dedicate it totally to Operator, but it *has* to just remember the mappings I make once, no matter which instance of Operator I select. I would definitely punch a baby for this functionality.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote: OK, here's a question then: does this work with Ableton's native devices? Like, I'd LOVE to buy a Novation Zero and dedicate it totally to Operator, but it *has* to just remember the mappings I make once, no matter which instance of Operator I select. I would definitely punch a baby for this functionality.
Wouldn't automap do this really easily for you? Novation product after all :)

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 pm

The only Novation product I've ever owned was a Nocturn, and I *hated* it and Automap. Could not get them to work nicely at all.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

login

Post by login » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:

OK, here's a question then: does this work with Ableton's native devices? Like, I'd LOVE to buy a Novation Zero and dedicate it totally to Operator, but it *has* to just remember the mappings I make once, no matter which instance of Operator I select. I would definitely punch a baby for this functionality.

No, the function is on third party plug ins.

Ableton native devices "auto map" to live controllers as Push and Apc, but the order of parameters isnt that good but it can be modified for Push. Also you can configure any controller to control the first 8 parameters of any device that is focused.

But IMHO no controller in the market really integrates well with software synths, they simply don't have enough controls and by the time you put everything in banks you forgot what is in all of them, is a constant struggle to find the parameter you want.

IMHO the best way to control software synths is with and iPad with Lemur or Touch OSC, that way the templates can accommodate a large number of parameter and visually resemble the synth.

There are already apps for controlling everything in Live as Touchable, Livecontrol2 and Pull (this last work within lemur).

Effects are easier to control since they fewer controls.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Just a note for anyone doing searches in the future, I saved a midi learn config (simply by doing midi learn, mapping the knobs and pluign parameters then saving) and it works brilliantly with the sub phatty.

There have a been a couple of times it hasn't loaded as default for some reason but with plugs like the Mini V, the drop down menu to open your config file is on the front panel and takes literally 2 seconds to do. Winner!