Paris Hilton 'djing'.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Paris Hilton 'djing'.

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:Y'all are taking this shite too seriously and reading too much into it. When PH is involved, you can Fuckin-A believe that the project has about as much depth as a gum wrapper. It isn't about music or anything remotely artistic. If I were to place a bet, it would be on some sort of potential corporate tie-in....."DJ-Wear & Accessories"...maybe earrings with built-in strobes or some type of fragrance formula concocted to smell like sweaty ravers high on crank. :mrgreen:

I don’t have a problem with her DJing.

I felt I had to jump in when things were going all “you have to respect…….” and “an inspiration to……..” Fuck, no. And fuck, no. Just because she’s been downgraded from America’s current favorite attention whore doesn’t mean she’s dripping with integrity now. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Yeah sure it's all about making the crowd dance with whatever works but unless I'm forced to go to one of those places i wouldn't be in that type of place because I'm a snooty hipster.

She should at least play some ac/dc then.
Our just let her dog take place then I'm sure the people wouldn't petition against her.

Let's not pretend she won't be playing the token top 10 hits from the past 2 years. If that's your thing, cool. After that we can watch 'Honey, where are my pants??'
Note how i referenced something mainstream but also good.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:13 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The ability to dj, or blending, track selection, mixing in key, showing your chops, are all pointless in some establishments if you can't play a single pop song that no one can relate to. Just as in opposite, having too much skill and no downtime would bore another audience. It isn't just the dj making the dj famous.
You think playing low hanging fruit pop hits and having DJ chops are mutually exclusive? And you think the crowd that likes the low hanging fruit wouldn’t appreciate a DJ that could mix them together creatively?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:27 pm

beats me wrote:

I felt I had to jump in when things were going all “you have to respect…….” and “an inspiration to……..” Fuck, no. And fuck, no. Just because she’s been downgraded from America’s current favorite attention whore doesn’t mean she’s dripping with integrity now. :x
x-actly!

I simply don't understand why the situation is brought up here as something positive.

A thread making fun of the situation? Sure!
But a thread to give props to her? What gives?!

As you so nicely put it your2die4: a DJ has to play for the crowd that is present in the location. This here isn't the crowd for paying respect to PH for wanting to DJ.

Next tune! :x

:lol:

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:38 pm

I have no issue with someone making a genuine effort to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and reinvent themselves. To borrow from a cornball phrase, the operative questions is...do they have the "Eye of The Tiger". In her case, I'm inclined to think that the DJ gig is a perfect fit and actually pretty ingenious in that it puts her square at the center of attention which is the primary objective - it's critical for these types to remain visible. She's probably earning a phat appearance paycheck while remaining relevant to support that clothing and perfume line distributed by her corporate backers. Using established precedent, when it comes to PH, I'm inclined to shrug and think "air head in the spotlight again". Given the degree these days with which society seemingly embraces mediocrity and the cult of celebrity with rapt attention and open arms, who knows - she's probably the perfect elixir on several fronts. If she proves me/us wrong, then so be it, but I really don't see her having the attention span or intellectual acumen to master the craft in the likes of say Calvin Harris, Tiesto or Tom Violenz. :)

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:41 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:

x-actly!

I simply don't understand why the situation is brought up here as something positive.

A thread making fun of the situation? Sure!
But a thread to give props to her? What gives?!

As you so nicely put it your2die4: a DJ has to play for the crowd that is present in the location. This here isn't the crowd for paying respect to PH for wanting to DJ.

Next tune! :x

You're wearing that Central Scrutinizer discussion-proctor derby again. You need to check that smelly thing at the hat-rack near the entrance, amigo. :|

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 pm

You know who is like to see dj at the WMM?

Tim Curry.
As Pennywise the Clown.

Or Rick Moranis as his character in Ghostbusters

OMFG THAT WOULD BE SO SICK
ImageImage

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:25 pm

shadx312 wrote:You know who is like to see dj at the WMM?

Tim Curry.
As Pennywise the Clown.

Or Rick Moranis as his character in Ghostbusters

OMFG THAT WOULD BE SO SICK
Remember "The Dead Presidents" from Point Break? I'll tell you what would be SICK....get a group of 5 dj's wearing head masks for Dick Clark, Wolfman Jack, Jam-Master Jay, Casey Kasem and Ed Sullivan and have them put on a show- Ed Sullivan could bop around introducing the tunes with Clark/Kasem at the turntables and Jay/Jack running the laptops and mixers. They could call themselves deadDJ5. I'd pay good money to see that shit! :D

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Throw in a guest appearance from Chris Walken and I'm in.
ImageImage

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:58 pm

shadx312 wrote: Ok, then I think it's just a degree of how much someone is informed then, the level of how much a person is involved in sub-cultures vs mainstream. People who passively take in media from mainstream sources only know about what's on the surface so they aren't aware there are sub-cultures and appreciations for certain artists; they don't know those worlds exist.

I think where we differ is you put more importance on the majority and mainstream than I do as far as what is declared as valid.

If only 400 people were excited to hear a certain dj was spinning at Studio 54 in the 70's (if were were to pretend it wasn't well known back then), then I would say there's a culture that appreciates a dj, it may not be the mainstream or majority but who cares?

That's the difference, passive attendance ie the mainstream who don't delve further into the media they're passively taking in obviously aren't as interested in the art as the people who dive further into it (going to shows, getting to know the players history and following the breadcrumbs into more and/or lesser known works). Which means the mainstream isn't a valid gauge.

The fact that millions of people will pay attention and money to hacks is the gauge that shows they're not a good gauge. When you're young and green you think something is popular because it's good, not because it's been payed to be advertised everywhere and stuffed down the public throat until they give in and swallow it in hopes that it will shut the hype up (nope).

So to me the subculture that gives more of a fuck is more valid than the general public who willingly give themselves up to whatever the trend is to fit in.

Most people weren't aware of all the subcultures existed because they didn't have the internet. You aren't going to know that there were horse-cart wheel enthusiasts in the 19th century because there was no Pinterest. Doesn't mean they didn't exist, and just because there were only 20 of them doesn't none of them evolved the horse_cart wheel.

There's an entire industry around dj'ing and production because you can get a controller for a couple of hundred and pirate a copy of Traktor or Live if you want and play at your friends party.
There are billions of samples, contruction kits, stems, a capellas you can down for free (legally or not) and paint by numbers in minutes to make the crowd jump up and down.
It's cheap to make and it's cheap to buy. It's cheaper to fly one guy with a backpack than it is to fly a band and their their equipment. Of course there's and industry revolving around that and of course they're going to make the consumer think how easy it is to get to the pedestal.

Why weren't their millions of teenagers wanting to become superstar dj's in the 80's and 90's? There was still plenty of great electronic music and gear. It wasn't until the dj was put on the pedestal which means the music takes a backseat to the glorification of the person playing it. I can spend 20 years explaining why Battle Royale is better than Hunger games but that doesn't mean tons of people aren't aware or appreciate it. It just means there are people who don't pay attention as much to a field as you do.

In the end though, IMO, it doesn't matter. 'The evolution of electronic music'. I think it's a bit naive to think that the mainstream has to be aware of and embrace 'electronic music' for it to evolve. On top of that, the mainstream is mostly going to hear a mainstream watered down exploitation of some better electronic track that they've never heard. If some producer decides to do something closely resembling Aphex Twin as a backing track to some'The Voice' winner, and the general public hears it on the radio and think it's the most genius thing they've never heard before, they still have no idea that a (probably) better version of that music existed 20+ years ago, while a huge culture is totally aware of Aphex Twin.

So, mainstream is invalid, it's just a school of fish following each other wherever. And the art will evolve because of the people who genuinely appreciate and work on it, regardless of if it's only a few originators. In the end it will come to the surface where millions of hacks will exploit it and get the recognition they don't deserve. Marketing machine comes along with dollars in it's eyes and there's your industry.
So sure, it creates jobs, that's a plus, I suppose if there are innovations in the ways that people create music through different types of gear then that's an evolution (like when guitar distortion came about), but I just don't think there's that much of a difference when it comes to numbers of people. Quality vs quantity.

Well, I probably came across as condescending making redundant and simple explanations but that wasn't my intent.

Still, I bet there wouldn't be as much backlash if Minaj was headlining, because she isn't a talentless has-been.
All purist views aside, everything influences everything, and mainstream lies at the foundation of most peoples introduction to music.

I am far from interested in mainstream culture, and have very little connection to it. I am talking about the long term result and nothing to do with validity of pop artistry. I agree, it's irrelevant from a musical standpoint. Yet, from a cultural standpoint, I find it very relevant.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:00 am

Yeah but i haven't gone on a soapbox in awhile.
ImageImage

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:00 am

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:20 am

TomViolenz wrote: But if something new rises, it's not because of these celebrity DJs and the stale hype used up in too many TV commercials. It will be despite of it!!!
Exactly. Sounds like a party to me.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:17 am

Alright. You guys are right. The whole role model thing may have been a tad too far.

I must also accept that there are many djs who Do have technical skill AND the ability to cater to popular music tastes.

I guess I had to vent my frustrations due to people with an absolute zero tolerance to anything that isn't def leppard or alice in chains.

Thanks for helping me sort out my thoughts. I really appreciate your insights and the due reactions when I made some of the more ridiculous statements haha

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 am

Mm but i think it's a good thing that you explored the thought process. It's a good sign that you're not cut out to be a politician, which is a good thing.
ImageImage