iPad synths and daws

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
empathy1

Re: iPad synths and daws

Post by empathy1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:49 pm

anyone use touchABLE? i read its comparable to the push. I have a push already, but would it be useful for having an additional device to work on w my hands?????

c33

Post by c33 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:47 pm

Tarekith wrote: As mentioned, Auria is great for an all around audio DAW, probably my favorite app when you factor in the insane deal on all the Fabfilter plug ins.
Insane deal indeed. I'd only used a trial of ProQ before Auria, but using them on my iPad actually sold me on buying the pro bundle for my desktop recently. I think these are some of the most intuitive and transparent sounding mixing plugins I've used. If my mixes sound like crap, it's certainly not their fault.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Tarekith wrote:Sound quality is no issue at all on the iPad, just as good as any of the desktop tools IMO. Been using mine a lot over the last few years for writing music, pretty much everything I did in 2014 was done on the iPad in fact.

As mentioned, Auria is great for an all around audio DAW, probably my favorite app when you factor in the insane deal on all the Fabfilter plug ins. Cubase is a good runner up, though personally I find Auria easier to use if you don't need MIDI (yet).

As for apps, I'd recommend:

- Traktor DJ
- Loopy HD
- Gadget, iKaossilator, Figure, triqtraq, Beatmaker2
- Thor, Alchemy Mobile, Photophore, Nave, Sunrizer, DM1, iElectribe, iSEM, Impaktor, Thumbjam, and Animoog.

Audiobus is a big favorite of a lot of people, though honestly I find it a bit clunky and hit or miss in terms of stability. I generally try and stick with apps that are IAA (inter app audio) compatible instead, they show up just like normal plug ins in Auria then. The Audiobus forums are a great place to find out about anything related to iPAd music making though.
Like a dummy i'm trying to do everything in AB then getting annoyed when it doesn't work when i could be using Auria. D'oh!

Anyway my recent stars are Soundscaper, Different Drummer, TC-Data and Borderlands. The sounds are good enough, there are direct ports like Thor and Z3ta and stuff getting ported to MAC/PC like Nave! But these are some phenomenal apps IMO. Oh and you'll definitely want AudioShare. :)

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:06 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...yep...and the main difference is that it's not controlled by "regular" knob controllers or whatever but with the ipad's touch surface...AND: they also offer the "control surface" as an extra app for controlling whatever you want to control...: http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-data/
Yeah this is one deep controller app, unlike anything available on desktop that i'm aware of. Really cries out for midi clock and sync and hopefully AB support in the future.