OSCiLLOT

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
irrelevance

Re: OSCiLLOT

Post by irrelevance » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:19 am

I gave in in the end the environment looks similar to the scope modular so got more excited about linking the two. Those damn youtube videos! :lol:

topaz

Post by topaz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:10 pm

The biggest let down for me about oscillot for me is the complete lack of automation

You can only have 8 macro controls total.

Also the step sequencer steps cannot be automated at all, but even if they could once you use up the 8 steps it's all over.

Very disappointed :-(
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:53 am

topaz wrote:The biggest let down for me about oscillot for me is the complete lack of automation

You can only have 8 macro controls total.

Also the step sequencer steps cannot be automated at all, but even if they could once you use up the 8 steps it's all over.

Very disappointed :-(
I can't tell if you're making an April Fools joke or not. On the chance that you're not joking, I'll ask: what sort of automation do you want to do that you can't?

Can't really help with the 8 macro controls.

And while it's a bit messy, you CAN chain Seq8 sequencers. (But it's a modular, it's SUPPOSED to be messy :) )

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

topaz

Post by topaz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:19 am

I wish it was an April fools.

Only 8 parameters can be automated.

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:19 am

So far 8 Macros can be automated and theses macros can feed multiple destinations.
I do understand this wish and if it would be easy or even semi-easy, there'd be automation for every parameter.
But since everything is dynamic in this modular system (you can create and delete modules on the spot), the normal
Live automation does not work. We'd need to come up with a custom solution which somewhat is on our list but i won't make any promises at this point...

Best,
C.

topaz

Post by topaz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:23 am

A modular synth is all about hands on, I'm trying to imagine any modular synth with only 8 controls.

The whole idea is to tweak like crazy but doing that with a mouse with no way to record any of those moments is such a major limitation.

I would hope this, along with at least being able to control individual sequencer steps should be at the very top of development importance.

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:37 am

btw: you can also control OSCiLLOT with MIDI CC data and the MIDIcntrl to CV module.
On top of the priority list is still sound, stability and usability.

Best,
C.

topaz

Post by topaz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 am

This makes no sense to push, the number one ableton controller.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:12 am

kleine wrote:So far 8 Macros can be automated and theses macros can feed multiple destinations.
I do understand this wish and if it would be easy or even semi-easy, there'd be automation for every parameter.
But since everything is dynamic in this modular system (you can create and delete modules on the spot), the normal
Live automation does not work. We'd need to come up with a custom solution which somewhat is on our list but i won't make any promises at this point...

Best,
C.
Since you seem to work for Ableton an important question for me:
Can we expect devices like this (or even specifically this one) to ever be native Live devices again?!

M4L is something to create the odd one out, the ones that likely won't get wide enough use to warrant real development and the associated costs, the ones were it's better to have cheaper development in a CPU hungry and buggy device, than non at all.
This device is not one of these IMO and neither are the Convo reverbs nor the modulation tools like the Envelope follower and LFO!

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:52 pm

That i don't know. My interest is to eventually make M4L devices which at some point you can't differentiate from native ones.
This requires of course even more integration etc.
But i understand where you're coming from…

Best,
Christian

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:14 pm

kleine wrote:That i don't know. My interest is to eventually make M4L devices which at some point you can't differentiate from native ones.

Best,
Christian
Well, it would be grand, if you could pass that sentiment on to your superiors, as I'm far from the only Live user, who harbors it!

thecld

Post by thecld » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:20 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
kleine wrote:That i don't know. My interest is to eventually make M4L devices which at some point you can't differentiate from native ones.

Best,
Christian
Well, it would be grand, if you could pass that sentiment on to your superiors, as I'm far from the only Live user, who harbors it!
+1

Tom's right. Live would be superior if things like LFOs, Envelopes, OSCiLLOT, etc. would be native :)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:30 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
kleine wrote:So far 8 Macros can be automated and theses macros can feed multiple destinations.

Best,
C.
Since you seem to work for Ableton an important question for me:
Can we expect devices like this (or even specifically this one) to ever be native Live devices again?!

M4L is something to create the odd one out, the ones that likely won't get wide enough use to warrant real development and the associated costs, the ones were it's better to have cheaper development in a CPU hungry and buggy device, than non at all.
This device is not one of these IMO and neither are the Convo reverbs nor the modulation tools like the Envelope follower and LFO!
1. How do you not already know who he is? Aren't you an electronic music producer in Berlin? :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. This isn't an Ableton device. It's a Max For Cats device (Christian's company).

3. M4L is whatever the hell I want it to be.
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:30 pm

The location says Ableton. So it's pretty save assumption, no?

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:41 pm

It's as Stringtapper says but i answered your post also on behalf of LFO and Envelope Follower, which i worked on as well.