score editor!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
AlexJoKeys

Re: score editor!

Post by AlexJoKeys » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 am

+1

why are people so against it?, Is it a fear that a 'trained' musician could then use live?

It could just be a score viewer or something to print compositions to give to players.

I know for a fact, many colleges DON'T use live for this reason. They use Logic because it can be used for 'Music Composition' within score. AND recording/production in piano roll, soft synths, plugins...e.c.t.. And its not about 'education' but, people leaving colleges/universities, will buy the software they have trained on.

In my opinion, Live is far superior to Logic, in a number of ways. AND in a number of ways, logic has stolen ideas from ableton.

If everyone said 'im going to be different' 'i dont need score...' - about every aspect, you wouldent be able to string 2 chords together because every combination would of been used!

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:38 pm

reganjo1955 wrote:Score Editor
I'm more comfortable with a traditional music score than with piano roll notation, but I can see arguments against a built in score editor for Live as others have said. Still I would then like to have a way to export groups of clips or tracks, even entire sets as music xml, a mass of clips or some such idea so that an import to Finale wouldn't be such a huge grind going track by track exporting clips (please tell me I've missed a major feature in live 8 and you can already do this!) I also notice that alot of dance music is syncopated and western notation makes that more difficult then it really is - so the piano roll notation is in some ways better than the classic way. Max score does something like you might want, but it is too manual and slow for my taste. If Finale could do Rewire that might not be so bad... I know Sibelius does this but I am waiting on that at the moment since I already sunk a thousand bucks over the last 10 years on Finale... Crossgrade could be an option.

Improved midi editing
Please, please, please implement the merged midi editing capability as is done with ProTools. What a score does for me is to see at a glance where the harmony, counterpoint etc... lines up. Sadly I do not have the memory to keep all this straight, or rather it takes me time to put it all together mentally. If I could see color coded tracks in a combined/merged view this would improve my workflow 3-fold.
I agree. even a max option. a solid one.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:30 pm

any updates?

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:42 pm

XploadLiveProductions wrote: why are people so against it?
I'm against it and the main reason is fear of it bloating Live. If they could truly add it in without hindering Live's performance in anyway then I wouldn't be as opposed. The thing with score editors is when they are attached to record/sequencing software they are terrible to use since the software isn't geared for score editing. I've used Logic's and Pro Tools' score editors and they are so frustrating. (I'm a Sibelius user so Pro Tools at least is a little easier) If I want scores to my sequences, or if I want to input on a staff I'll use a score editor like Sibelius, then send the midi over to Live. It is so much easier, looks nicer, and separates what are two distinctly different processes for me. Tools with focus always seem to turn out better than tools that try and do everything. That's my 2 cents anyway.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:57 am

I think a good way to do it would be to have it as a Max for Live device.

Babag76

Post by Babag76 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 am

According with many musicians out there i presume, I would really appreciate a score editor. Livescore seems to be the only real alternative at the moment, but something more integrated with the GUI would be awesome.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:38 pm

many people here seem to hate score editors because the can't read standard notation.
believe me: it is easy to learn when you have a score editor (like learning to read the piano roll editor).

a score editor is helpful in many ways. not for exact note length (which is better in piano roll) but better for chord recognition and comparing different tracks. easier to detect wrong notes, edit pitch and add accoustic instruments.

there's no need to make a notation program out of live. no print etc... but a score editor! for editing! interactive! very helpful!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Saxer wrote:
there's no need to make a notation program out of live. no print etc... but a score editor! for editing! interactive! very helpful!
I would use use it every day. I'd prefer it in Max For Live though so as to not bloat Live. IMO Ableton have much bigger issues of higher priority to fix with the current editors.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 pm

There's also LiveScore 0.5 available. It's $50 though. Worth checking out.

I think you can demo it by requesting a 30day demo license at http://www.algomusic.com/algomusiclicen ... cense.html. The JMSL license seems to apply to Live Score.

There seems to be some limiting issues with 64bit Max and Live and you need to install Java too.
Make some music!

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:49 am

wow.... thanks for that info!

redglass

Post by redglass » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:34 am

Stromkraft wrote:There's also LiveScore 0.5 available. It's $50 though. Worth checking out.

I think you can demo it by requesting a 30day demo license at http://www.algomusic.com/algomusiclicen ... cense.html. The JMSL license seems to apply to Live Score.

There seems to be some limiting issues with 64bit Max and Live and you need to install Java too.
Cool, thanks for the link!

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Just installed Maxscore 8.8 with a 30-JSML licence onto Ableton 9.7.Suite with Max for Live installed. Howebver the Livescore window is blank even on their demo file. Has anyone else out there got this working?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:Just installed Maxscore 8.8 with a 30-JSML licence onto Ableton 9.7.Suite with Max for Live installed. Howebver the Livescore window is blank even on their demo file. Has anyone else out there got this working?
I think you could also ask at computermusicnotation forums, if you haven't already.

I'm curious about this product, but don't have the time to get into it.
Make some music!

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks, I have posted on the forums there, but they are pretty dead.

I will maybe email the author, and report back when I get another moment.

I could just use musescore to do my transposition and arrangement job, but was intrigued to try it out in Ableton.

8E

Post by 8E » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this topic and reposting,
here is the pitch display in real time:
http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4658/dz-score
https://youtu.be/-sB-hDEEhFs
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD