Ughhh latency issues any help appreciated

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ejlif

Ughhh latency issues any help appreciated

Post by ejlif » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:14 am

I am so sick of this latency crap I'm going crazy. If I open a new live set no problem it's good. but when I am trying to use the mic on a certain song there is noticeable latency. I have restarted live and the computer and no help from that. I can't understand what is causing this. Any ideas? I have tried the buffer size and all the usual tricks and nothing helps. Is there a possibility that you can have issues with only a certain live set?

This seems like an ongoing issue. I have two computers and they are both having the same issues. Is this such a big deal does everyone pull their hair out with this?

Re: Ughhh latency issues any help appreciated

Post by 102455 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:47 am

What audio interface are you using? Latency is directly related, and yet you've not mentioned your interface.

You've also not mentioned whether you're using Mac or PC, or your operating system.

So it happens on "a certain song" - give details! How many tracks are running? Audio or MIDI? How many effects and/or plugins?

ejlif

Post by ejlif » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 pm

I am running mac OS 10.10.2 The interface is just a direct connect to a USB DAC. Nothing special just a couple tracks and there is latency. CPU isn't high or anything. If I open a new live project I don't get the latency. Anything specifically to look for that causes the latency?

Thank you

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm

ejlif wrote:is just a direct connect to a USB DAC. ………Anything specifically to look for that causes the latency?
Yeah, What USB DAC and what drivers, if any, do you have? Can you change the driver settings in some software that came with this DAC? Seems like a good place to start.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:10 pm

You probably have a plug in causing the latency. This is why the latency would apply to only One set and not a fresh set.

Could be a reverb, a mastering plug in, a vocal tuning plug in. Could just be a delay plug in set to have a certain amount of delah fully wet (although I doubt it is that one), or any guitar fx/amp emulation or mic emulation vsts, or even vsts inside of vsts. It could be anything. And you cannot fix it simply by turning them off.

So you'll have to make sure your set is saved before you delete them one by one until you find the culprit. Then re-open the set (don't save changes!) and make some hard choices.

dewaldo

Post by dewaldo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:27 pm

yur2die4 wrote:You probably have a plug in causing the latency. This is why the latency would apply to only One set and not a fresh set.

Could be a reverb, a mastering plug in, a vocal tuning plug in. Could just be a delay plug in set to have a certain amount of delah fully wet (although I doubt it is that one), or any guitar fx/amp emulation or mic emulation vsts, or even vsts inside of vsts. It could be anything. And you cannot fix it simply by turning them off.

So you'll have to make sure your set is saved before you delete them one by one until you find the culprit. Then re-open the set (don't save changes!) and make some hard choices.
this is right. the new live 9.2 beta shows you the latency introduced by each plug in when you hover over the information bar for the VST/AU, which it much less of a guessing game to figure out where the problem lies. I would download the beta and open your project there to identify the issue. in my case, I had a few instances of waves Q-clone in my template that were each introducing 350 samples (~7ms) of latency, which added up quick and made my set laggy. Now that i've deleted them my latency problem is gone.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:47 am

so what was the outcome of this?

ejlif

Post by ejlif » Tue May 12, 2015 6:51 pm

starving student wrote:so what was the outcome of this?
It's still driving me nuts. Randomly things will be fine then boom latency on the mic. It's really driving me crazy I can't seem to pinpoint what is the cause of this. It comes and goes. It's really annoying when you are singing into a mic and there is just the slightest delay which is the main thing that is bothering me.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed May 13, 2015 4:20 am

:( sorry to hear.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed May 13, 2015 4:38 am

you still haven't said what USB DAC you are using...

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Wed May 13, 2015 7:36 pm

I agree it would be helpful to know the specific DAC/interface, sample rate, and buffer size you're currently using, but just as a stab in the dark, the most common latency issue Ableton Live users have when recording mics or other external sources is that they try to monitor through the DAW when recording, instead of using direct monitoring.

If you have the mic track's monitor setting to In (and perhaps to Auto), Live will do no latency compensation at all when recording, meaning your recording is guaranteed to be delayed when you play it back.

The way to work around this while tracking is to make sure the track monitoring is set to Off in Live, then set your interface up so that you can hear your input directly in your headphones while singing.