Is Ableton Live suitable for any kind of real work?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dazzer

Re: Is Ableton Live suitable for any kind of real work?

Post by dazzer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:53 am

The OP's work in this thread is done.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 am

yur2die4 wrote:I've made phone calls with Ableton Live by generating dial tones from Operator. No joke.

I wanted to mess with the person picking up with a busy signal but the GUI froze on me and I had to hard-quit Live to get that godawful noise to stop.
Haha no way

CFM

Post by CFM » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:46 pm

I had a good laugh at this thread :lol:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Mostly the problem is that object oriented style programming runs each 'object' with a ton of code out side of what it does
Without getting into boring details I think you're truly misrepresenting "object-oriented programming" (OOP) here. There's certainly no reason whatsoever to run code that isn't needed with object-oriented code unless you're misusing existing code libraries.

On the contrary you can write very concise code where one object only does one thing very well and executes very efficiently. What you're describing is simply bad object design.

The vast amount of code written today is object-oriented, more or less, and exists in a landscape of multi-paradigm programming languages, like C++ for instance.
Make some music!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:45 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Mostly the problem is that object oriented style programming runs each 'object' with a ton of code out side of what it does
Without getting into boring details I think you're truly misrepresenting "object-oriented programming" (OOP) here. There's certainly no reason whatsoever to run code that isn't needed with object-oriented code unless you're misusing existing code libraries.

On the contrary you can write very concise code where one object only does one thing very well and executes very efficiently. What you're describing is simply bad object design.

The vast amount of code written today is object-oriented, more or less, and exists in a landscape of multi-paradigm programming languages, like C++ for instance.
Go back a little, you're going into the strictest sense of object oriented code, that's not at all what I'm talking about.
Machinesworking wrote: Reaktor is also an object oriented programming environment, I suppose not in the strictest sense of the term, but both Max/MSP and Reaktor allow a user to use objects to connect together larger programs, and you can if you wish use code to modify things.
Max/MSP and Reaktor use 'object oriented programming' in the most GUI accessible way, an object on the screen contains code to make an oscillator etc. I'm not talking about how OS9 used it, or higher level programming languages use it, but as a way to explain the graphic modular "programming" environment that Max/MSP and Reaktor give you. These programs use way more code to give you an oscillator than any commercial VST instrument does really. Like I mentioned to recreate Massive in Reaktor it would take way more CPU than Massive takes simply based on the fact that each part of a Reaktor instrument is like a modular synthesizer really, compare the amount of electricity use a modular has to the Waldorf Blofield for instance. Graphic modular programing environments like Max and Reaktor cost more CPU and are harder to debug compared to simply making a delay or synth etc. in C++, no way around that.

profound_

Post by profound_ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:59 am

yur2die4 wrote:I've made phone calls with Ableton Live by generating dial tones from Operator. No joke.

I wanted to mess with the person picking up with a busy signal but the GUI froze on me and I had to hard-quit Live to get that godawful noise to stop.
thats pretty awesome. haha