Best uses for split frequency processing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
braduro

Best uses for split frequency processing?

Post by braduro » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:05 pm

By now, many of you are already inundated with techniques for multi-band processing or split-frequency signal processing.
My current favorite technique is the transparent cut-off technique outlined in this video:
(Mr. Bill, I love you and you are many talented things, but a voice-over actor you are not. I only mention this for forum viewers to be patient with the message here, which is brilliant.)
https://youtu.be/XOJr_QjjFQA

Could you help me come up with some more creative applications in using this rack?
It could involve the filter sweep-point, fading one end of the effect into the other, juxtaposing the ends of the spectrum, or building out the rack such that the effects can be easily swapped between the two ends of the frequency. I'll work on this last idea if you like.

Thus far, I can only think of 3 definitive uses for this, one creative, 2 utilitarian.
  • 1) It's enjoyable to fiddle with separate beat repeat or beat-chopping processors after each chain. In fact, I use a 4-part split for this trick in my own set-up.
    2) Using the split to affect the upper register while keeping the low intact. In doing so, reverbs are less muddy, delays don't pile-up kick drum repeats, and you save a great deal of energy in your mix as well as spare your audience of a great deal of listening fatigue.
    An alternative to this is to still process both halves of the spectrum nonetheless restrict the low-end delays to divisions that are more manageable, like synchronizing delay times to 1/8 notes or larger so the kicks don't slur into each other.
    3)Using compression on the low end of an overall mix to smooth out RMS levels while keeping the upper frequency's amplitudes open and intact.

braduro

Re: Best uses for split frequency processing?

Post by braduro » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Bump. I'll just give this one more go on the 1st page, and then I'll give it a rest.
One thing I'm now looking into is just how many curve types-notch, bumps-will still manage to maintain a transparent seam between the direct and inverted chains. But furthermore, how many eq shapes, if their inverted difference is also transmitted, is also transparent to an unaffected signal?
Then an additional trick might be to have an effect do a sweep across a limited frequency band. Still, I'm trying to imagine which effects would best take advantage of this. Last time I did this, I dug through all the native effects and didn't really come up with anything too essential or original.

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Best uses for split frequency processing?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:31 pm

braduro wrote: I'll work on this last idea if you like. [/list]
I'm expecting that on my desk by monday

Enjoy your weekend