drum rack note length vs note trigger?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rogue75

drum rack note length vs note trigger?

Post by Rogue75 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:28 pm

So I'm trying out Ableton and am coming from Reason.
In Reason's Redrum no matter how long the note length is, the sample fires to it's full length.
If two notes are next to each other and the sample length is longer, then they both play out to their full lengths and the first one bleeds into (over) the second one.

In Ableton, I'm finding that the Drum Rack will fire the sample for as long as the note length is drawn.
I've messed with release in Drum Rack, but that still doesn't work the same.

Any idea what settings I need to change?

yur2die4

Re: drum rack note length vs note trigger?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:38 pm

In amp Envelopes there are loop settings usually. One of them is suited specifically for drums and consistently plays only the duration given by the envelope upon trigger. Note length has no effect.

Edit: uhhh, that may only apply to Sampler, Operator and Analog.

Rogue75

Post by Rogue75 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:37 pm

anyone have any ideas?
I'm working around this by creating two tracks so that the notes can overlap but it's very cumbersome

pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:09 pm

I'm not familiar with Reason so I'm not sure if you can get it to behave exactly the same. But if you want hits to overlap you need to disable Re-trigger. At the lower right of a Simpler in a Drum Rack cell you will see an "R" in a box. Make sure that is off. (In the color scheme I use, off is grey, rather than yellow.) To the left of that you can set how many voices to use. And as you've already done, make sure you crank up the Release time on the Amplitude Envelope.

Hope this helps.

logicbomb.de

Post by logicbomb.de » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:17 pm

EDIT:

hmmm I think I misunderstood your question with my first answer.

Do you want the notes overlap or NOT to overlap?

lol thanks for clarifying
Live 9 Suite | Push | APC40 MKI | Bass Station II | Roland Tr-8 | Yamaha EX7 | Novation Remote SL49| NI Komplete Audio 6 | Launchpad Mini| LEAP Motion w/ GECO MIDI |

Rogue75

Post by Rogue75 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:10 pm

pedx1ng wrote:I'm not familiar with Reason so I'm not sure if you can get it to behave exactly the same. But if you want hits to overlap you need to disable Re-trigger. At the lower right of a Simpler in a Drum Rack cell you will see an "R" in a box. Make sure that is off. (In the color scheme I use, off is grey, rather than yellow.) To the left of that you can set how many voices to use. And as you've already done, make sure you crank up the Release time on the Amplitude Envelope.

Hope this helps.
thanks I'll give this a try tonight.

@logicbomb I want the samples to overlap. The current default is that when the midi note "ends" the sample also stops playing. So if I have a long clap sample that lasts an entire 1/4, I want to be able to draw just a 1/16 note and have it play fully.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Turn up the Release of the amplitude envelope.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:15 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Turn up the Release of the amplitude envelope.
do it for one, then right click and do it to all siblings. additionally you can save such a drumrack with open release as preset for your drumracks, then you don't need to do this again.

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:50 pm

Could this issue also be related to choke settings?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:37 am

Rogue75 wrote:

In Ableton, I'm finding that the Drum Rack will fire the sample for as long as the note length is drawn.
It seems very likely you have encountered choke groups, as was just suggested, and have drawn the wrong conclusions. The default response in Simpler/Sampler is indeed to play out the whole sample. Alternatively something is missing from your description. When you're using a pre-made drum rack, instead of making your own, you need to realize specific settings have been made in it, of which choke groups is possibly one.

Drum racks may seem daunting at first, but it can be very rewarding getting into them. Personally, I love drum racks because I can use any sound source in my own racks for just about anything, extract chains as I wish and use whatever processing I want for each individual voice. It's a dream come true to me and one major reason to switch to Live.
Make some music!