Breakpoint envelope snap to grid

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
abletony84

Breakpoint envelope snap to grid

Post by abletony84 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:07 am

Hey!

I just noticed that aligning my automation breakpoint envelopes in the arrangement view to the grid doesn't really align them, because the further I zoom in the further I notice they're off. So in order to perfect my automations I have to zoom in all the way like some microscope to be able to place my breakpoint envelopes exactly on the grid.

Wouldn't it be better having a snap to function here? (similar to the "Snap to nearest pixel" in Adobe apps for instance)

Thanks y'all

gibson_ewok

Re: Breakpoint envelope snap to grid

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:45 am

You can highlight a section of grid and then grab the line and drag it up or down. It will create 4 automation nodes. 2 on each side of your high lighted section. Then just remove the ones you don't want. Or add more.. Whatever.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:48 pm

abletony84 wrote:Hey!

I just noticed that aligning my automation breakpoint envelopes in the arrangement view to the grid doesn't really align them, because the further I zoom in the further I notice they're off. So in order to perfect my automations I have to zoom in all the way like some microscope to be able to place my breakpoint envelopes exactly on the grid.

Wouldn't it be better having a snap to function here? (similar to the "Snap to nearest pixel" in Adobe apps for instance)

Thanks y'all
+1

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:50 pm

gibson_ewok wrote:You can highlight a section of grid and then grab the line and drag it up or down. It will create 4 automation nodes. 2 on each side of your high lighted section. Then just remove the ones you don't want. Or add more.. Whatever.
When you want to draw envelopes, this is akward, but its a workaround

RRKS

Post by RRKS » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:38 am

Just highlight the section, hold down shift and move the area you want to adjust and it snaps and creates break points exactly to what you've highlighted.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:47 am

Or use 'draw' mode ?

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 am

The Finn wrote:Or use 'draw' mode ?
Why use draw mode, when Ableton could simply apply snapping to all automation. Work smarter not harder. This is actually one of my biggest complaints with Ableton.

Post by re:dream » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

HamHat wrote:
Why use draw mode, when Ableton could simply apply snapping to all automation. Work smarter not harder. This is actually one of my biggest complaints with Ableton.
I completely agree. Drawing and editing automation can do with a lot of improvements.

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 pm

The Finn wrote:
HamHat wrote:
I completely agree. Drawing and editing automation can do with a lot of improvements.
i gotta agree too.

alphadimension

Post by alphadimension » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Even Studio One has it and it really rocks !!! Would love Ableton had it as well.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:56 pm

I think Isotonik has something that does automation quantize. Which isn't snapping, but it may do the job. Can't remember the name right now.
Make some music!

Post by re:dream » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:37 am

There are workarounds, though, by using the trick of highlighting the relevant section and then creating breakpoints by dragging the section as a whole. Not ideal but adequate while we wait for them to fix the issue. :x

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 pm

+1 to all. The drawing or highlight + dragging workaround has gotten old.

In addition, for my needs, it would be very nice to have lower vertical resolutions. I'm thinking either a vertical grid, or a small custom list of "allowed" values for each clip, which by default would be off. This resolution could apply to points, and full resolution lines/curves could be created automatically.

And of course, please let us enter values instead of ctrl+dragging, for both automation points and curve percentages.

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Bump

MikeMS

Post by MikeMS » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:56 pm

STOP CONFORMISM! Draw mode.. Highlight and the grab... STOP THAT SHIT!!

Ableton must add this feature urgently, we are talking about ableton, one of the best DAWs, if FL have the option to snap to grid, why not Ableton?!?