A noob keyboard question.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sana48

A noob keyboard question.

Post by sana48 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 pm

I have the opportunity to purchase a Roland FP-1 Digital Piano for 250$.

My question is whether or not this piano will function like a midi keyboard; will the keys automatically map like normal piano keys into Ableton?

For example, I am using the M-audio oxygen 61 and it was plug and play, I could immediately use the keys as a normal midi piano.
Will the Roland also be able to be used a midi keyboard like this? I am very new to the keyboard scene and I am teaching myself piano (long time guitarist) , I really would like to have weighted keys such as this Roland offers. I am just unsure if it will function like a midi keyboard. It is a bit older; I read the manual and it says it has midi output but my lack of knowledge makes it difficult for me to discern.

Would anyone be so kind as to shed some light on this for me please?

I am not concerned with bells and whistles, I can always add a nano if need be. I would simply love to have a weighted-key midi keyboard for 250$ lol

Thank you in advance,

Sana

Tarekith

Re: A noob keyboard question.

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:12 pm

The manual says it has MIDI input and output, so you should be good to go. There's no mapping you'd need to do, other than maybe changing the MIDI channel, if that.

logicbomb.de

Post by logicbomb.de » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi Sana,

from what I could find online, the Roland FP-1 hs standard DIN MIDI in/out ports so you'll be able to connect the FP-1 to Live and play all the notes that way.

Keep in mind that you'll need a separate MIDI interface to connect the FP-1 to your computer

IIRC, your Oxygen 61 should also have hardware MIDI in/out on it, so work case scenario, you'll need to enable the MIDI in on the Oxygen 61, connect the FP-1s MIDI out to the MIDI in on the Oxygen61 then enable the Oxygen 61 MIDI in port in Ableton.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Live 9 Suite | Push | APC40 MKI | Bass Station II | Roland Tr-8 | Yamaha EX7 | Novation Remote SL49| NI Komplete Audio 6 | Launchpad Mini| LEAP Motion w/ GECO MIDI |

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Thanks Eric,

I was hoping so; when in doubt asks the experts ;)

This seems like a good deal.

;)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Hey Sana,

I took a look at the owner's manual, and yes, it will work as a MIDI controller just fine. It's not going to be quite as simple as the Oxygen keyboard, mostly because you have to put the keyboard into MIDI mode to use it as a controller. But this is pretty typical for any keyboard instrument. It's important to turn off the internal sound generator when using the keyboard for MIDI only, and that's what the Roland's flashing FUNCTION mode does on this instrument. If your MIDI tracks in Live are set to receive on all channels, you probably won't notice much difference in how it works.

Along with weighted keys, you'll also be getting aftertouch, which is nice.

If you decide to get fancy and assign MIDI commands to the buttons and switches on the Roland, you might need to increase your MIDI knowledge. Since you're using an Oxygen 61 however, I imagine that's probably not something you were looking to do.

Hope that helps!
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:30 pm

[quote="logicbomb.de"
IIRC, your Oxygen 61 should also have hardware MIDI in/out on it, [/quote]

Hmmmm... I hadn't considered that Sana might be using the Oxygen via USB. And the Oxygen only has MIDI OUT (I have one myself).

So, to clarify... if you're using the Oxygen via USB, you will need to check your audio interface for MIDI 5-pin DIN ports. If it doesn't have them, you will need a separate MIDI interface. Otherwise, you can connect the Roland to the same MIDI ports you've been using up to now.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Richie Witch wrote: So, to clarify... if you're using the Oxygen via USB, you will need to check your audio interface for MIDI 5-pin DIN ports. If it doesn't have them, you will need a separate MIDI interface. Otherwise, you can connect the Roland to the same MIDI ports you've been using up to now.
I am currently not home at the moment but I am using the oxygen via usb.

I have the presonus audio box 2 interface and I do not recall if it has midi in.

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Audiobox ... s=presonus

So if I do not have this function within my interface I will need to purchase another interface? One with midi?
Last edited by sana48 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Richie Witch wrote:
If you decide to get fancy and assign MIDI commands to the buttons and switches on the Roland, you might need to increase your MIDI knowledge. Since you're using an Oxygen 61 however, I imagine that's probably not something you were looking to do.

Hope that helps!
I am willing to do whatever it takes, and to learn as much as possible. I still have much to learn and even with the oxygen (3rd gen) I have to assign quite a bit of midi.

Thank you for all of your guidance Ritchie..

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Richie Witch wrote: you will need to check your audio interface for MIDI 5-pin DIN ports. If it doesn't have them, you will need a separate MIDI interface.
Would a Midi to Usb adapter be a viable option in this case; rather than buying another interface?

like this.. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 2pwjpk5y_b

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:28 pm

sana48 wrote: I have the presonus audio box 2 interface and I do not recall if it has midi in.
Hey Sana,

You're in luck! That audio interface has MIDI 5-pin DIN in and out. You can connect either keyboard to the MIDI in port.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Richie Witch wrote: That audio interface has MIDI 5-pin DIN in and out. You can connect either keyboard to the MIDI in port.

Beautiful! !!

Thank you sir!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 pm

You're most welcome! 8)

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 pm

logicbomb.de wrote: IIRC, your Oxygen 61 should also have hardware MIDI in/out on it, so work case scenario, you'll need to enable the MIDI in on the Oxygen 61, connect the FP-1s MIDI out to the MIDI in on the Oxygen61 then enable the Oxygen 61 MIDI in port in Ableton.
My interface does have midi i/o but this is an ingenious option that I will not forget about.

Thanks