login

Re: It's exactly 2 years since Push had an update

Post by login » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:37 pm

dna598 wrote:Discuss please
It has an update in the new beta.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Greatly improved aftertouch, modwheel functionality (though I really wish this would still be operational when in session mode - where the touchstrip does nothing anyway), delete+encoder to go back to default value (thank Fuck for this one), shift+encoder for fine-tuning, and 64-pad drumrack mode. If you tap play, play record, record, record, up arrow down arrow up arrow while holding shift, Push's 64-pad grid turns into a game of Snake.

Am I happy about the above? very.

Are important updates painfully slow with Push (like drumrack sends control, arrangement record and so on)? Yes.

Why? I don't know.

Is everything shit everywhere and death is the only answer? Probably. I only write this last bit because I was listening to the glorious Wesley Willis at work, which I often do. A friend of mine, later in the day, played a Jimi Hendrix live album. About half-way through the album a younger colleague approached me and asked if I was playing Wesley again. Jesus.

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:50 pm

"modwheel functionality (though I really wish this would still be operational when in session mode"

Are you saying that the modwheel functionality of the strip won't work in session view? Why???

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 pm

InLight-Tone wrote:"modwheel functionality (though I really wish this would still be operational when in session mode"

Are you saying that the modwheel functionality of the strip won't work in session view? Why???
Push = Session view ... so that doesn't make any sense....
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 pm

InLight-Tone wrote:"modwheel functionality (though I really wish this would still be operational when in session mode"

To be specific - I meant in Session mode on Push. Pressing the Session button switches to clip launch mode. You can only operate the modwheel in Note mode. and it bothers me sometimes as I often go into clip launch mode while still wanting to retain control of the selected track's modwheel. Third-party modwheels do this. Maybe Ableton will change it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 am

tedlogan wrote: Is everything shit everywhere and death is the only answer? Probably. I only write this last bit because I was listening to the glorious Wesley Willis at work, which I often do. A friend of mine, later in the day, played a Jimi Hendrix live album. About half-way through the album a younger colleague approached me and asked if I was playing Wesley again. Jesus.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:55 am

tedlogan wrote:Is everything shit everywhere and death is the only answer? Probably.
The only one? NO!

Just the most sensible one ;-)

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:55 pm

tedlogan wrote:

To be specific - I meant in Session mode on Push. Pressing the Session button switches to clip launch mode. You can only operate the modwheel in Note mode. and it bothers me sometimes as I often go into clip launch mode while still wanting to retain control of the selected track's modwheel. Third-party modwheels do this. Maybe Ableton will change it.
I can see why that would suck (still haven't installed the beta, waiting for full release). I hope they change that too; it seems though as if they never have or will intend for the Push to be used for live performance.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:18 pm

When are drum racks gonna be color-able

64 pad all a different shade of yellow is not ideal in the 64 drum cell mode
tedlogan wrote:If you tap play, play record, record, record, up arrow down arrow up arrow while holding shift, Push's 64-pad grid turns into a game of Snake.
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, right, Left, Right, A,B, Start for unlimited lives.......

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:When are drum racks gonna be color-able

64 pad all a different shade of yellow is not ideal in the 64 drum cell mode
indeed, it really should be 4 different shades at least.
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, right, Left, Right, A,B, Start for unlimited lives.......
hehe... iddqd / idkfa :wink:

Push's modwheel - I would much prefer it to be the touchstrip's default state than pitchbend mode. Each time you open a project you need to switch all tracks over to mod functionality. Not a big deal, but I use it extensively in most tracks, as I really like building patches that morph/build-up quite a lot via its use.

Here is the suggestion on Centercode:

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... DED7DAEF0F

SUG-1444

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:50 pm

All in all, i'm still finding Push to be another APC40: Under-developed, and lacking versatility. Very good for staying within the small remit of it's basic programming.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

panten

Post by panten » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm quite the opposite. It is a very nice tactile surface to Live that has versatile user scripts that allow me (personally) to get the ideas in my head down fast, while at the same time encourages experimentation and to try things I wouldn't normally.

Having said that there are definitely some WTF missing features that seem to me such no-brainer things. Like holding delete and pressing a loop length control button to delete just the content in that section. Seems like such obvious shit that wasn't thought through very well.

I wouldn't like to use Live without Push. It would be like trying to drive without a steering wheel.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 am

^^^
agreed.

There are some WTF omissions and a very slow addressing of these to match, but overall I find it to be a great sketchpad and controller for Live.

The things I like about it far outweigh the missing features.

fn0000rd

Post by fn0000rd » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:25 pm

It's my favorite musical instrument ever, and I've played a lot of different stuff over the years.

I just wish they'd let us know what the future holds.
----
Push/9 Suite/Launchpad S/Samson RF8/Oxygen 25/Focusrite 18i6/FCB 1010/Tecontrol USB breath controller/MBP