OSCiLLOT

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
stringtapper

Re: OSCiLLOT

Post by stringtapper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 pm

TomViolenz wrote:The location says Ableton. So it's pretty save assumption, no?
He works for Ableton, but this device is his own product.
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:12 pm

stringtapper wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:The location says Ableton. So it's pretty save assumption, no?
He works for Ableton, but this device is his own product.
Which is absolutely cool.

It still would be great if he could tell about the not uncommon sentiment to his superiors though.

That M4L is everything you want it to be for you (and a lot of others) is all good, I don't want them to stop developing the integration, as others do. But to use it as the general development platform for Live is not ok. So it's cool for his product, not so cool for the LFO and the Convo reverbs. And yes such a modular synth as a native device in Live would be awesome, and so would other possible devices. The in house devices they made, like Operator and Sampler are top notch, so I know they are capable of it.

And no, gimmicks like a Tuner, are not what I'm talking about!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:14 pm

TomViolenz wrote:…gimmicks like a Tuner…
lol, a tuner is a "gimmick" says the guy who's never made music without electricity.

:lol:
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:23 pm

stringtapper wrote:
lol, a tuner is a "gimmick" says the guy who's never made music without electricity.

as usual, you have nothing to say so you clinch on to what you perceive to be a gotcha line.... :roll:

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:18 pm

To return to the topic: we released a module bugfix update today: v.1.0.3.
See the changelog here:
http://maxforcats.com/forums/topic/late ... t-v-1-0-3/

Also, Max for Cats will stray around Musikmesse tomorrow and Saturday 8)

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Great thanks for the update.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
stringtapper wrote:

as usual, you have nothing to say so you clinch on to what you perceive to be a gotcha line.... :roll:
No, he gotcha.

taocayo

Post by taocayo » Thu May 28, 2015 9:04 am

kleine wrote:To return to the topic: we released a module bugfix update today: v.1.0.3.
See the changelog here:
http://maxforcats.com/forums/topic/late ... t-v-1-0-3/

Also, Max for Cats will stray around Musikmesse tomorrow and Saturday 8)
Looking forward to updates that improve loading times and performance. On a 3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8GB of RAM I can't handle the sluggishness of 3 or more tracks with Oscillot.

As a sound design tool is the coolest thing I've seen running in Live so far.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 pm

Congrats on the new update. Really enjoying it.

I read your post where you said you really want to make your devices indistinguishable from native devices (butchering your verbatim) however, I have also read that you are an employee at ableton. I just hope you realize how amazing of a device you are making on one hand but on the other hand how many users are scared to use max for live, and with good reason. You are making an incredible device, 90% of ableton users dont use max for live at all, surely you want to get this tool in more musicians hands?

I just hope Ableton as a whole realizes there is fear amongst their customers to using max for live. People dont feel more confident about it in 9.2 even though the first beta claimed improved m4l stability and performance. There is a whole line of tools that you are making/ that users are making that the vast majority of people are ignoring.

I dont use image-line products, but I know they have been trying to make their own native-plugins for everything, plugins that people aren't scared to use. New instruments, new effects, new routing possibilities. Everything native. Their customers trust these devices and aren't scared to use them.

Im not saying ableton shouldn't continue with max 4 live, I think it should be their main focus. I think the ability for people to make their own devices in their own way and upload them for the community wether it be for sale or for free. This is an irreplaceable amazing thing. However, currently it is the opposite of amazing. The max 4 live device website has been a lot more active with live 9 then live 8 but could you imagine if ableton had a better way to test the stability of max4live devices and didnt let them load and/or have sandboxing for max4live.

I dont know I know you know these things. I am part of the crowd that wishes oscillot was native. But either way, this is an incredibly powerful tool, and it has been quite stable for me. I congratulate you on your work and look forward to all new devices from you.

COUGH TIME STRETCH SAMPLER (Max 7 new patches, use them, and you will continue to take my moneys)

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 pm

I'm having good fun with Oscillot though I do wish it didn't take such a big CPU hit. Personally I trust Max for Live devices (purchased ones anyway)more than I do 3rd party plugins. So many 3rd party vst's lose the settings for me when I reopen a song I saved, while I've never had that happen with a max for live device.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun May 31, 2015 4:29 am

Website has been down for a day or so now. Error establishing a database connection is all I get.

kleine

Post by kleine » Sun May 31, 2015 5:05 am

Yes. I'm waiting for some news from the provider after a server migration.

Edit: Back online :D

Muze

Post by Muze » Sun May 31, 2015 1:02 pm

kleine wrote:So far 8 Macros can be automated and theses macros can feed multiple destinations.
I do understand this wish and if it would be easy or even semi-easy, there'd be automation for every parameter.
But since everything is dynamic in this modular system (you can create and delete modules on the spot), the normal
Live automation does not work. We'd need to come up with a custom solution which somewhat is on our list but i won't make any promises at this point...

Best,
C.
More macros would help, or do something like Omnisphere and Virus Ti do, and make it possible for the user to select which params get automated, that can work better with a dynamic system.

kleine

Post by kleine » Sun May 31, 2015 3:07 pm

Muze wrote: More macros would help, or do something like Omnisphere and Virus Ti do, and make it possible for the user to select which params get automated, that can work better with a dynamic system.
Sure, this is high on our list!

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun May 31, 2015 11:37 pm

kleine wrote:Yes. I'm waiting for some news from the provider after a server migration.

Edit: Back online :D
Cool. Now how do I download version 1.04? Forum post here: http://maxforcats.com/forums/topic/late ... t-v-1-0-4/ indicates that this link here is correct https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/oscillot/ but the download version number is 1.0.alp.