playing software instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scheffkoch

playing software instruments

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:12 pm

hi,
is it true that there is absolutely no way to play a software instrument while a clip is playing in the same track?...
i only get sound out of the instrument when i select session recording but then the midi notes will be recorded...
am i missing something???
thanks
b
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Richie Witch

Re: playing software instruments

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:25 pm

So if I understand the question, you want to play a MIDI clip, but you also want to play the software instrument assigned to that same MIDI track, at the same time? Without recording the new MIDI data into the existing clip?

Yeah, you can't do that. You can sometimes do this with hardware instruments, but as soon as you arm the track to enable the software instrument, it's going to record the MIDI notes you're playing.

However, you could just duplicate the track. Let the MIDI clip play in one track, while you play the same software instrument in the duplicate track.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:52 pm

...thanks for your reply!!!
yes, it's like you described...although duplicating the track is not perfect it seems handy...
thanks for your suggestion!
b
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:04 pm

With Push, you can play over/along with an existing clip without recording the new notes in the same track, when it's "soft"-armed.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:23 pm

...ha...i knew it...yesterday i was just fiddling around with live - without my push - and found out about this "limitation" but i thought it was working before and i messed up a setting or whatever...ha...thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!!!!!
peace
b

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:45 pm

no worries - glad it's working.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:40 pm

You need Push to do that now? You didn’t before.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

beats me wrote:You need Push to do that now? You didn’t before.
I'm not sure, but probably not only with Push. I just haven't used another controller in a very long time, apart from an APC40, so cannot remember how other keyboards etc behave.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Sorry for being vague but hopefully somebody on here will respond with the specifics, but there should be an input type setting on the track that allows you to play through without recording. Doesn’t matter what kind of controller you are using.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:38 pm

8O
Sure there is, I do this all the time. Arm the track for recording, but just hit the Play button instead of Record. The clip plays and the notes you play on your controller (any controller) sound as well without being recorded.

Or maybe I'm not understanding the question?

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Manual 16.3.3 Aufnahmen von Midi mit Overdub

Manual 16.3.3 Overdub Recording MIDI Patterns

7. Der Clip overdubbt während er loopt, wodurch Sie Ihr Pattern Schicht für Schicht aufbauen können. Wenn Sie die Aufnahme für ein Weilchen unterbrechen wollen, um zu üben, können Sie das Overdubbing deaktivieren, indem Sie die Session-Aufnahmetaste erneut drücken. Der aufgenommene Clip-Inhalt wird dann weiterhin wiedergegeben, aber Sie können ohne aufgenommen zu werden dazu spielen. Wenn Sie für die Aufnahme wieder bereit sind, drücken Sie erneut die Session-Aufnahme-Taste. Nachfolgendes Drücken der Session-Aufnahmetaste wechselt zwischen Wiedergabe und Overdub.

7. The clip overdubs as it loops, allowing you to build your pattern layer by layer. However, if
you would like to pause recording for a moment to rehearse, you can deactivate overdub -
bing by pressing the Session Record button again. The contents of the clip will continue
to play, but you can play along without being recorded. When you are ready to record
again, press the Session Record button once again. Subsequent presses of the Session
Record button will toggle between playback and overdub.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:09 pm

...i can confirm that playing software instruments while a clip is playing in the same track works as expected in session record mode BUT not when arrangement record is enabled...then you only hear the instrument when overdub is enabled (= midi is being recorded)...just tested it with keyboard and/or push...selecting midi arrange overdub didn't make a difference...

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:23 pm

I didnt remember this, when I've been working with Live 9. But one month ago I went back to live 8, because I have had to many issues with live 9.

In live 8 you have only this overdub button and it works in the same way in session and arrangement view.

I lost my fun to make music with live 9, now in live 8 my inspiration is back, the good old browser, easy recording, no crackles and pops, no tons of samples in the factory packs, that makes you mad. Live 8 works like clockwork, no crashes, only music.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:35 pm

...my problem is that i'd like to record into arrangement view while playing in session view...it works if i "session record" (new ovr button) but it seems you can't play along a playing clip of the same instrument...but how should i record an external instrument while playing in clip view?...hitting the overdub button would also effect all other record enabled tracks, right?...

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:54 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...i can confirm that playing software instruments while a clip is playing in the same track works as expected in session record mode BUT not when arrangement record is enabled...then you only hear the instrument when overdub is enabled (= midi is being recorded)...just tested it with keyboard and/or push...selecting midi arrange overdub didn't make a difference...
Huh. I don't know what to say. It works the same for me in both Session and Arrange views. As long as the track itself is armed for recording and I hit the Play button in the transport bar (and not the record button), the underlying track / clip plays and notes I play on my controller sound without being recorded. This is in Live 9.1.7 (although I'm 99.99% sure it worked the same way in Live 8, but I no longer have 8 installed to test with.)

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"