Sending Submix to the drummer(almost there!)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
digirockstudios

Sending Submix to the drummer(almost there!)

Post by digirockstudios » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:06 am

Hello all!

I've been playing live using Logic Pro and I've never had any problems while creating and sending submixes to my drummer.
But now I've switched to Ableton Live 9 and also I'm using a new audio hardware, and I've encoutered some issues.
Hopefully someone here will be able to help me out :)
I am using Ableton Live 9.

Questions:

1 - How do I create a submix on Ableton (on each track: bass, synth, BD, SD, etc I can insert a bus, send this to an Aux track, and then set the AUDIO OUT of this AUx track to 3&4, p.example). That's how I used to do in Logic, but seems like in Ableton is different?

2- Please check the image on this link. This is what I've done so far.
http://digirockstudios.com/ableton/issues-ableton-2.jpg

NOTE:
N1- Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 has 4 Ins and 4 Outs. On their default Software 'ScarlettMixControl', there is a window(check the image) that is the Monitor Preset. By default it comes with Outs 3 and 4 off. I've switched to ON.

N2- On Ableton also I've set the Outputs properly, enabling Outs 1&2, 3&4, 5&6. I haven't enabled more than this, cause I don't have physically more than 4 Outs.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Mac OSX 10.9.5
Ableton Live 9
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Main mixer : Alesis Multimix 8
2nd mixer (drummer): Behringer xenix 502

yur2die4

Re: Sending Submix to the drummer(almost there!)

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 am

I don't have a good answer firstly because there seem to be a few points of confusion. Like a few spots where there is maybe some kind of overcompensation.

I don't think you need Cue to be on if you are sending audio through an audio channel or a send

I see the Send knob of the click channel going to E. E is then also sending into itself. That should not be necessary, it'll make feedback.

The click channel And E and the Cue Out are all going to 3 (cue also going to 4). You should have it set up so one channel will send all required audio to 3 (I suggest the E return channel, and setting the Click track itself to "Sends Only"

With Cue turned on, it means any channel you monitor will send out to 3&4. You probably don't actually need that, and it could resort to additional sounds sending into those channels.

On the mixing of the audio interface itself via the software, it Might be trying to pan or combine 3 and 4, although I kind of doubt they'd do that to you :P.

My BEST advice, make a new 'test set' and make that work how you need. Make it very small. Once you've cracked it, apply it to the real set :)

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:13 am

I don't have a band so I've never done anything like this. But from knowing some of the devices in Live, what I would do is...
Add an 'External Audio Device' (from Audio Effects list). As soon as you do this you will hear that the track has cut out completely from the mix, Next right-click 'Group' just this device alone... expand the group so that you can see the 'Chain', in the empty space below the original chain, right click and add a new chain but do not add any devices to this new chain, it will create a bypass allowing the audio to continue to the channel fader as normal. Now with that External Audio device you can send it to whatever output you want ('Audio To' 3+4... and leave 'Audio From' as No Input).... You basically create an audio splitter. If this is something you do regularly, save it as a preset so you can quickly drop it on any track or group you need to. It has it's own level so you can control the drummers mix as you see fit... Also where ever you drop it in the fx chain will affect which fx the drummer hears (if it is the first device, the drummer will hear a dry signal... if it is 4th in a line of 6, the last 2 fx processors will not be heard by the drummer). But also if the drummer needs a special fx device that only he hears, you can add it to that split chain.

Being that I have never actually done this, PLEASE let me know if this works the way you wanted.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 am

I agree with yur2die4:

Eliminate the Que, and Return E.
Simply send clicktrack to Ext. Ou: 3.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:25 am

Oh also you will need to set up on your audio card routing, which output will go to the drummer.... For instance on your Saffire mixer, go to routing and where it ask what should come out of Line Output 3/4 you could choose DAW-3 and DAW-4

digirockstudios

Post by digirockstudios » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Well, first of all: THANK YOU for such quick and effective replies.

Clicktrack:

I have disabled the Cue (switched to Solo) and set the Click track to go out straight to the Output 3.
Also went back the send (E) button to zero.
On my Scarllet MixControl, I ensured that on the Routing Preset the outs 3 and 4 were properly set. They were.
Bingo! The clicktrack is only heard on the drummer mixer.

Submixes:
By sending the needed volume on each track using the knob Send "E", and having set on the Return Track 'E - submix' the AUDIO TO to Ext.Out 4, now I have, on the drummer specific channel that is inserted, the submix with all tracks I want.

You guys ROCK. ROCK BAD!!!

Thanks to you all again :)

Paulo
Last edited by digirockstudios on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Great!

FYI you haven't disabled Que: If you preview audio from the browser (not likely going to happen in a live setting) it would come through the Cue channel. Also, if want to use Live's built-in metronome, it would come through on the Cue channel as well.

digirockstudios

Post by digirockstudios » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Ok, thanks for the update on the Cue function.
About the click: I am using Live's metronome now. I've just changed the Cue Out to 3. :)
Great!