Artifacts in Simpler and Sampler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phaseeeee

Artifacts in Simpler and Sampler

Post by phaseeeee » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Hello Ableton friends,

I'm having a strange problem with artifacts and/or aliasing when using some factory drum racks which use Live's Simpler or Sampler.

My test case:

1. Open the Kit-Core 808 from Core Library.
2. Set project tempo to 160-170.
3. In a new clip, draw in 8th notes on the Hihat Closed 808.
4. Launch clip and listen to the hi hat loop.

Playback sounds fine initially, but after a number of measures, some the attacks of the hi hat seem to "flam" between the left and right speakers, as if audio is not reaching the left and right outputs simultaneously. This is very noticeable and unnatural sounding to my ears. The particular hits that end up "flammed" are seemingly random, but I usually begin to notice the effect before the fourth bar/repeat.

Additionally, the spectrum on the EQ8 plugin shows low frequency noise associated with certain hi-hat hits, but not others. What behavior of Simpler and/or Ableton results in these two effects?

I'm running Live 9.1.8 32 bit on OSX 10.10.3. The issues persist on the built in soundcard of my MacBook in addition to my Focusrite 2i2 interface.

Do you hear the same on your system? Help me understand what I'm hearing here and, if possible, how to fix it.

Thanks!

Steve Glen

Re: Artifacts in Simpler and Sampler

Post by Steve Glen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 am

It's like it runs out of buffer or something and then has to catch up. Even with glue removed, same.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

You could tell Sampler to load the samples to RAM and check if the issue persists.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Ok I tried that. same.

I will be clear that the effect is micro-minor. The timing variation that I noticed could very well likely be the result my brain trying to find music in a hyperrepetitive loop.

phaseeeee

Post by phaseeeee » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:44 am

I have tried loading the sample into RAM and adjusting buffer size. The frustrating thing about this issue is I can't tell whether this is an audio issue with sample playback or a MIDI jitter issue...it would be nice to know that this is not standard behavior for Ableton. I should be able to start a track with a basic hi hat pattern without getting immediately thrown off by annoying flamming noises! If anyone has dealt with this before, and can pass my test case, then please share what solved your issue.

AustinThumper

Post by AustinThumper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:37 am

Solid timing here - Live 9.1.8, windows platform.

Shouldn't you be able to set up a Resampling track and record this, and look at it visually? I did, and it looks (and sounds OK to me). But I'm not having this prob...
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.