Push Software Emulation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Push Software Emulation

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Come to think of it, why not a Push emulation window for tablet computers (iPad, Surface)?
One could even name the pads, etc.... (change the matrix size, etc...)

yur2die4

Re: Push Software Emulation

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:39 pm

There is a Push emulator in the ipad through the Lemur app.

Also, Touchable3 is pretty badass, and livkontrol (or whatever it's called) is another Ableton all.

Additionally, there is also a browser-based Session grid that runs through Chrome I think. It is interesting because if you're on the same wifi, you can trigger clips in session view haha viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204831

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:55 pm

yur2die4 wrote:There is a Push emulator in the ipad through the Lemur app.

Also, Touchable3 is pretty badass, and livkontrol (or whatever it's called) is another Ableton all.

Additionally, there is also a browser-based Session grid that runs through Chrome I think. It is interesting because if you're on the same wifi, you can trigger clips in session view haha viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204831
Does either do Session Overview - i.e., emulate a Launchpad? (FIRST requirement) Also, I am not interested in iPad controlling another computer through Midi. I want to control Live running on the same computer from within Live, with the Matrix as a popup window with Session Overview and a user definable matrix ... (not sure either of these do that, they just seem to be external controllers, as alternatives to Launchpad, but I might be mistaken.)

(Before I did the Lemur thing, I would just get a Launchpad Pro - or just use my Launchpad and a Launch Control XL or nanoKontrol) And Live on my Laptop runs perfectly well with any number of controllers (I own most of them, but each is missing an important feature for me)...

(Watched the video test: looks promising, but...

(from comments: "It doesn't work with iOS 8.1.2 and Ableton 9.1.7 :(. I have tried everything."

Do you own a Push? (Not only that, I don't use iPads as a matter of principle. My next computer is a Surface 3)... I'm sure that Ableton will include software Push for Live Touchscreen some day, but not in my lifetime ... expecially not from Akai... (the APC Mini and the APC Key 25 would have been perfect for me, if only they had Session Overview)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:06 pm

touchAble has Session view and can be synced with hardware using LaunchSync Pro XL...

Cheers
D

login

Post by login » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Well instead of having an additional app Live would need a second UI designed for multitouch. That seems more viable in some years.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I don't use iPads as a matter of principle.
/thread

Not out of some platform war snobbery, but what you are looking for is on the iPad. That's it. The only option.

Seems the future is always looking bright for you but never the present.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:58 pm

beats me wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:I don't use iPads as a matter of principle.
/thread

Not out of some platform war snobbery, but what you are looking for is on the iPad. That's it. The only option.

Seems the future is always looking bright for you but never the present.
You simply don't understand what I am asking... I want to move a user configurable red box by clip banks ()ideally anything, but I'll accept 5x8 or 8x8 to start), and have a Session Overview that allows me to instantaneously select the CLIP bank (NOT the device bank). I.e., Session Overview. Session Overview. Session Overview. Session Overview.

WITHOUT a second controller (including an iPad).

If that functionality (make sure you understand what I am asking; I will do my best to keep explaining it) was on the iPad I would buy one in a NY second.

(It helps if you understand the Push, the APC40/20, or the Launchpad)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:34 am

The third image down is what I was referring to:
http://www.touch-able.com/clip-grid

Your initial explanation seemed a big vague as it made mention of an iPad in parenthesis. And it made mention of a session overview.

I have the launchpad, the APC 40, and the Push. Plus an iPad.

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:54 am

WITHOUT a second controller (including an iPad).

If that functionality (make sure you understand what I am asking; I will do my best to keep explaining it) was on the iPad I would buy one in a NY second.
...you may better make sure *you* understand what you are asking!

Seems pretty contradictionary for me!

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm just suggesting another Live mode in addition to Session Mode and Arrangement Mode that emulates a Push (but I'll be happy with a Launchpad mode). Especially for a touch screen.

Think on it a bit; it will come to you... :)

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Push + touchable is a killer combination. Even though touchable is a controller app, to me, it feels like running ableton on an iPad. Session overview is great, way better than on the launchpad or push.

login

Post by login » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I'm just suggesting another Live mode in addition to Session Mode and Arrangement Mode that emulates a Push (but I'll be happy with a Launchpad mode). Especially for a touch screen.

Think on it a bit; it will come to you... :)

I don't think we need a Push emulation, what we need is another GUI for Live designed for touch devices.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Aside from velocity sensitive, tactile pads,

Touchable beats Push.

I don't know how much more info you want. It does everything that Push does, and then some.

It browses and loads devices, has full visual control of every instrument, can do two functions at once (notes and session at same time? Etc), it has a customizable 'user mode' which doesn't competely high jack functionality, it has a full blown note arrangement editor instead of just a step sequencer, it can work on wifi (which then allows you the option of connecting a midi controller to it), AND it has the ability to Sync other devices 'in relation' to it in session view.

Or you could have glanced at their page and I wouldn't have to explain the obvious.

Otherwise my advice to you is to go buy a couple more launchpads (Pro is coming out this summer)

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Let me be clear. I don't want to use an external controller; I want the Push emulation to run on the same touchscreen/Laptop as Live 9. So there would be a third "Push/Launchpad" mode in addition to Session and Overview. (But this mode could just handle matrix configuration, positioning and selection (Launchpad does the latter two). (On a Laptop in "Push", one could use function selection keyboard keys)

Of course, there are all sorts of ways to provide Mini ins/outs between programs on the same computer, so a separate Live mode might not be necessary. In fact, it might even be able to alter Push's Python script and just provide a GUI for it (Max4Live?). E.g. swiping the up/left/right screen could bring up floating windows to control the strips surrounding Push's button matrix on the right and left.

I already have my pre-order in for Launchpad Pro (aince day 1).
(Especially since a 3rd "push" mode is unlikely to be part of Live anytime soon.

But I really wish Akai/Ableton would just fix (i.e., implement Session Overview on) my APC Mini and Key 25.