Making Music - the book

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dennis DeSantis

Re: Making Music - the book

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:08 pm

avart wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
avart wrote:Just release it for iBooks already, mmmkay? NOW!
You are aware that the actual author is reading this thread, right?!
Is that how you always converse with people in your life?! :x
Oh, it was just a (rude?) way to show my impatience and eagerness to buy a book that seems to be great. :oops: :oops: :oops:
My apologies to Dennis, Ableton and anyone else involved in the book that might have got hurt. I just want to buy a digital book.
Nah, it's cool, no problem. I actually meant to reply to your earlier post to say that I'm really sorry the ebook is taking so long. There are a lot of technical and logistical hurdles to work out - more than we initially realized - in order to make it look good. This publishing thing is new ground for us, so we're a bit behind the curve. It really will come soon.

Best,

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:19 pm

avart wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
avart wrote:Just release it for iBooks already, mmmkay? NOW!
You are aware that the actual author is reading this thread, right?!
Is that how you always converse with people in your life?! :x
Oh, it was just a (rude?) way to show my impatience and eagerness to buy a book that seems to be great. :oops: :oops: :oops:
My apologies to Dennis, Ableton and anyone else involved in the book that might have got hurt. I just want to buy a digital book.
it's all cool, the digital sphere tends to make one forget that there are actual people on that other side of the screen 8)

avart

Post by avart » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks for the update, Dennis!

I can understand if it takes a while to translate the physical book with all it's sections and colours to the iBooks/ePub-format. It seems a bit more rigid when it's comes to colour and customized layouts?

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 pm

As fast as the first batch sold out, I assume (hope) they're scrambling to get another print run ready to go. This is the kind of book I want a physical copy of. Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

eblomquist

Post by eblomquist » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:25 am

Translating a print layout to digital formats can be pretty complicated. It is much more than a matter of uploading a print PDF! If you want the text to be scalable, etc. my wife is a book author and designer, who does heavily illustrated books, and it's really not easy...
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.
http://www.underwaterairport.com "Kuhli Loach" on Facebook

eblomquist

Post by eblomquist » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 am

Btw, I got the print copy of Dennis's book, and it's a very high quality job. Well done! It will have a place of honor in my studio for years to come. I am already looking forward to the sequel!
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.

onshiftingsands

Post by onshiftingsands » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:18 am

Still no news on the digital edition?

I missed out on a physical copy, and was hoping to have the iBooks version for inspiration before I head away for 10 days in an isolated studio on Friday :(

Yes I know - all good things take time...

Ollimac73

Post by Ollimac73 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 am

Great Book!
I am learning Ableton right now; I am moving my first steps in this exciting new world, and this book is my perfect "travel-mate".

Lucky to order it fast and have the wonderful printed edition.

Highly recommended!

Halo Gravity

Post by Halo Gravity » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:20 am

I see a lot of people have already mentioned this, I came here to check on the status of the ebook version (at the very least, I would LOVE a printed version). It just seems crazy to not jump on a product that is so hugely in demand. I read the available chapters online and was hooked, but I gotta say the wait for ANY version is getting ridiculous at this point... sure, getting the ebook setup was a pain... do another print run. SOMETHING. Pretty please? I wanna read this pretty bad and I promise I am not alone.

Halo Gravity

Post by Halo Gravity » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:22 am

AND PS to the author: I'd be willing to buy a just text version from you. I'm not fancy. Just slap that text into a word document and email it to subminimal @ gmail. Boom.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Halo Gravity wrote:AND PS to the author: I'd be willing to buy a just text version from you. I'm not fancy. Just slap that text into a word document and email it to subminimal @ gmail. Boom.
lol

Yeah, you should totally wait for him to do that.

:lol:
Unsound Designer

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Halo Gravity wrote:I see a lot of people have already mentioned this, I came here to check on the status of the ebook version (at the very least, I would LOVE a printed version). It just seems crazy to not jump on a product that is so hugely in demand. I read the available chapters online and was hooked, but I gotta say the wait for ANY version is getting ridiculous at this point... sure, getting the ebook setup was a pain... do another print run. SOMETHING. Pretty please? I wanna read this pretty bad and I promise I am not alone.
We're working on both the ebook and the reprint. It's all a bit more challenging than you might expect, since we're not actually a publisher with our own printing equipment; we have to do all of that through a third-party, and it all takes time.

I'm really sorry for the delay, but we really are working as quickly as we can. We just got caught totally off-guard. We didn't at all expect this much demand.

eblomquist

Post by eblomquist » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:23 pm

At least you'll be prepared for the sequel!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:51 pm

Dennis,

Just got the book through itunes. Good read. One less paper copy to print because of me :D
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

avart

Post by avart » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:55 pm

YES! Bought!